Question Network utilization 10% only used?

Jan 25, 2022
So my computer is getting an average of 90-100 MBS. But when I check my resource monitor I use only 10% of my network, never more. So my download speed is only about 9-10mbs when I download anything. Why is this; is there a fix?

How fast a internet connection do you pay your ISP for you can never go faster than that.

Most download programs list the transfer speed in BYTES/sec and network test programs list it in BITS/sec. Resource monitor unfortunately uses both in different parts of the display so you have to be careful.

That alone accounts for 8 to 1 difference. Also many download programs only count the actual application data being transferred where network programs include the overhead that is used by things like IP addresses and port numbers etc.
So 10 to 1 would be just be a matter of how you count things not really any difference.

Now if you pay for more than 100mbits/sec from your ISP you might have either a port on a router that is only running at 100mbps or you might have a bad cable.

Jan 25, 2022
How fast a internet connection do you pay your ISP for you can never go faster than that.

Most download programs list the transfer speed in BYTES/sec and network test programs list it in BITS/sec. Resource monitor unfortunately uses both in different parts of the display so you have to be careful.

That alone accounts for 8 to 1 difference. Also many download programs only count the actual application data being transferred where network programs include the overhead that is used by things like IP addresses and port numbers etc.
So 10 to 1 would be just be a matter of how you count things not really any difference.

Now if you pay for more than 100mbits/sec from your ISP you might have either a port on a router that is only running at 100mbps or you might have a bad cable.
ill look into my port and my cable thank you

TRENDING THREADS