[SOLVED] New 144Hz refresh rate, all games crash

kingmongoose

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Hi all,

I recently got a 144Hz 1080p monitor and it has not been the joy I expected, all of my games are crashing.

Specs:

2600x @ stock

Cooler Master hyper 212 Evo black

16 GB 3200 MHz Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte B450m ds3h

GTX 1060 6 GB

650W Corsair CX600M

Literally every game crashes, where I had no issues before. I'm struggling to determine what the issue is.

When previously playing on my 60 Hz monitor I didn't use V-sync and let the games run as fast as they could, so there wouldn't be any more strain on my parts or power supply?

When stressing both my GPU and CPU (furmark and prime 95 simultaneously), I don't observe any crashing, and temperatures are reasonable, 70C and 67C respectively.

Could it possibly be a G sync issue, or something with the monitor itself? I'm using the most recent GPU drivers.

I tried limiting my games and monitor to 60 Hz and it seems stable, have to do a bit more troubleshooting.

Could it possibly be my PSU? This is the oldest component in my system.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Solution
I'm going to say 7 years old at this point. I thought that once it's a good brand and 80+, it's a decent PSU?
Good brand yes, Corsair makes some good PSUs. They also make some trash PSUs, same with most companies. They have low end stuff and high end stuff. The low end stuff is fine for a basic PC without a dedicated GPU. As a general rule, you shouldn’t use a PSU past it’s warranty.
Hi all,

I recently got a 144Hz 1080p monitor and it has not been the joy I expected, all of my games are crashing.

Specs:

2600x @ stock

Cooler Master hyper 212 Evo black

16 GB 3200 MHz Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte B450m ds3h

GTX 1060 6 GB

650W Corsair CX600M

Literally every game crashes, where I had no issues before. I'm struggling to determine what the issue is.

When previously playing on my 60 Hz monitor I didn't use V-sync and let the games run as fast as they could, so there wouldn't be any more strain on my parts or power supply?

When stressing both my GPU and CPU (furmark and prime 95 simultaneously), I don't observe any crashing, and temperatures are reasonable, 70C and 67C respectively.

Could it possibly be a G sync issue, or something with the monitor itself? I'm using the most recent GPU drivers.

I tried limiting my games and monitor to 60 Hz and it seems stable, have to do a bit more troubleshooting.

Could it possibly be my PSU? This is the oldest component in my system.

Any help would be much appreciated.
How old is it. It’s not a recommended PSU even when new.

I'm going to say 7 years old at this point. I thought that once it's a good brand and 80+, it's a decent PSU?
Good brand yes, Corsair makes some good PSUs. They also make some trash PSUs, same with most companies. They have low end stuff and high end stuff. The low end stuff is fine for a basic PC without a dedicated GPU. As a general rule, you shouldn’t use a PSU past it’s warranty.

Reactions: kingmongoose
Solution

kingmongoose

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
So I tried some stress testing using prime 95 and furmark. I did CPU and GPU individually for an hour, and then stressed both at the same time for an hour, with no crashing.

Do you still think this is a PSU issue? I know that the PC wouldn't be pushed as hard as this in game. Could it possibly be a gsync driver issue or something like that? Your input is appreciated.

So I tried some stress testing using prime 95 and furmark. I did CPU and GPU individually for an hour, and then stressed both at the same time for an hour, with no crashing.

Do you still think this is a PSU issue? I know that the PC wouldn't be pushed as hard as this in game. Could it possibly be a gsync driver issue or something like that? Your input is appreciated.
Sounds more like a driver issue, however I’d still replace the PSU as soon as financially possible and you are able to find a quality model for a decent price. You could try an older driver and see how that works.