Question New 1500 bucks gaming rig

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 14, 2024
Hi guys,

My old system, an 8yo gaming rig, broke down, well, it was about time to upgrade anyway. I won't reuse anything as I'll try to fix it as a secondary computer later:

What I need it for:
- Gaming
- 4k video editing

Games I (want to) play:
- RPGs like Bethesda stuff, Witcher, Cyberpunk (no raytracing needed, happy with 1440p and ultra settings)
- Strategy and simulations like Civ, City Skylines, Planet Coaster (which is extremely single-thread performance hungry, still a challenge for modern CPUs)

I have pretty much decided that the graphics card will be either RX 7800 XT or RX 7900 GRE. That will more than suffice for my current needs plus a couple of years into the future.

What I can't decide about (just too much data to acquire and compute) is the heart of the system, CPU, cooler, board, RAM (gen and speed). The board should accommodate two SSDs (thinking about 1TB for system and applications, 4 TB for games and editing workspace, advice with regard to the bus generation welcome). No special requirements apart from that. No more than two HDDs might be added later to dump data. How big a power supply does this add up to? The case preferably roomy, boring and SILENT. I'm used to not hearing anything from underneath the desk most of the time, and I like that more than fancy lights behind a window. Not the overclocking, water cooling type of guy.

I don't have a fixed budget, it should just make sense in terms of value towards the requirements. Roughly 500 bucks for the graphics board, not more than 1000 for the rest, I would say. No screens needed. I'd prefer to buy soon but I could wait if you're telling me that Ryzen 9000 (or whatever) will change the game for me.

I'd be grateful for suggestions, especially with some hints why it seems appropriate for my use case.

Reactions: artk2219
According to the benchmarks I've seen it's more around 7% performance difference.
The reason why I'm not buying now is that I've seen better deals before. 490 for a 7800XT and 524 for an ASrock 7900GRE. I don't think I'll have to wait too long for something similar. Special offers come up every few days.
With those you need to be very careful that they are what they say they are. On Amazon.de there was a "7800XT" for 480 Euro from the pcpartpicker tool. When I actually looked at the card, it was actually a Vega VII GPU for 410 Euros sold by Amazon Returned Sales and relisted as a 7800XT.

Do I really need a cooler this fancy? Let's wait for thorough info about thermal loads of next-gen CPUs...
That is one of the best coolers available AND it is cheap. Getting a Noctua of equal performance will set you back almost double the money. Alternatively with the 9700X you could probably go with a Be Quiet Shadow Rock 3, but that is only 5 Euros less expensive, or the Deepcool AK400 for about half the price.

Do you really need 64gb ram? 6 core CPU, in 2024, just seems wrong as games are becoming more CPU heavy.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor (€279.52 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (€36.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: ASRock B650 Steel Legend WiFi ATX AM5 Motherboard (€224.16 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Kingston FURY Beast 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (€112.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: SK Hynix Platinum P41 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€137.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case (€69.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 TT Premium 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€109.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €970.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-07-17 18:43 CEST+0200
OP is looking at doing 4k video editing as well. While 32GB is enough for 4k editing now, more RAM never hurts. If OP decides to do higher resolution editing then RAM requirements go up.

logainofhades

Titan
OP is looking at doing 4k video editing as well. While 32GB is enough for 4k editing now, more RAM never hurts. If OP decides to do higher resolution editing then RAM requirements go up.

Yea but unless they are using a software that can take advantage of GPU, I would think 6 cores is not going to be enough for that really either. I do think waiting for Ryzen 9000 is the best course of action here, as it is only 2 weeks away from being released.

Reactions: Lucky_SLS
Jul 14, 2024
Do you really need 64gb ram? 6 core CPU, in 2024, just seems wrong as games are becoming more CPU heavy.
Well observed! I was considering to start with 32 GB and add another 32 later when the 12-core X3D CPU is in but I was told that using all banks would slow my RAM down, so why?
It's for video editing, not for gaming.
Seems like a good option. I was now considering this one for 109€.
MSI MPG A850G PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Can't really tell which one's better.

Reactions: true_messiyah