New 45nm AMD CPUs Coming in Q3 2009

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
"Ok so I know this an AMD article and this announcement is cool and all -

but really Tom's - it is nearly the end of the month and I still haven't seen news on the new core i7's that I thought were supposed to be released at the end of May. Do we really have to wait until the day they come out to hear about them and research them? Is it that bad to tell us about them a little bit early so we can start making decisions on them? grrr - I've been waiting for THAT news for a while which I thought this article was about at first split second glance then read the 3rd word - AMD."
The only nehalems I know of that are going to be new anytime soon are the laptop based ones, which are held up in purgatory waiting for suppliers to get rid of older stuff.

The mainstream i5s are due around Christmas and the new westmeres are 2010 due. Server models are 2010 H2. (early H2 would be my guess).

If you mean the added chips to the current i7 lineup, nothing has been reported because no information has been released. Companies RARELY hype products like a i7 945 processor (an update to the 940... you get the idea).

Maybe that's why.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]enthugk[/nom]Is XtremeSystems a good site? I ask because I have been searching for an alternative enthusiast site to lurk.[/citation]
They have the most "enthusiasts" of any forum, that is for sure. However, they have their fair share of fanboys as well.

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
[citation][nom]sumgk[/nom]"And you don't think you're a FANBOI???[/citation]

You just used the word 'fanboy' AND spelled it with an 'i.' That's faggy (faggi).

Sorry, everyone. It had to be said.

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I lol'd, I didn't know there were so many rabid Intel fanboys here.

Core i7 is on a different level than the Phenom IIs, the Core i7 920 alone might be priced similarly but then you need an X58 mobo and DDR3. This is why Phenom II is competitive, all Intel has in the same price range are the older Core 2 Quad CPUs.

Also lol at labeling someone an enthusiast based on how much money they spend. I guess all of the clueless alienware owners are "computer enthusiasts" according to you.

bardia

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Also lol at labeling someone an enthusiast based on how much money they spend. I guess all of the clueless alienware owners are "computer enthusiasts" according to you.

/end argument

G

so, when it's all said and done. Which tech is better in the long term?

If I bought the best that INTEL or AMD had to offer, which would end up being the better performance choice 3 years from now. (less chance of needing to upgrade)

soonerproud

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
[citation][nom]valem[/nom]so, when it's all said and done. Which tech is better in the long term?If I bought the best that INTEL or AMD had to offer, which would end up being the better performance choice 3 years from now. (less chance of needing to upgrade)[/citation]

If money is no object, then Intel i7 is the obvious choice.

particleman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
@ demonhorde665

Thank you for posting that definition. Excellent effort in showing that money isnt everything in life!!!

@ Everyone here

After spending (wasting maybe?) my time reading all of these responses....I have to say I am deeply annoyed. Every response started as an Opinion....then degraded into people trashing everyone else's opinion. This is a huge problem I see with society in General. The "If you dont agree with me....you MUST be wrong" attitude retards us as a people.

I respect each persons preference on here. I see both sides to these arguments. Does intel make a better High-end processor? Yes I believe so. Does AMD's offerings in the Mid-range price point tie and/or beat intel's offerings in the same price? Yes I believe it does.

Whatever system someone chooses to build....chances are that they have mulled over it for weeks (months in some cases) about what they want in their system. I toiled with my build for nearly 2 months before I was happy. Some people favor a certian brand.....good for you!!! Some folks are deal hunters (myself included)....Thats great!!! The whole point is......you are happy with your own choices.

If your best response is to belittle and undermine the other guy.....I pity you. Being so one sided in life (even over simple things) is a sad story.

I hope each person here understands where I come from.....and I am positive there will be someone who needs to tell me im wrong.....but I welcome it....because it just makes me laugh. ^_^

Cheers,

-PM

arkhon

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Particleman[/nom]@ demonhorde665Thank you for posting that definition. Excellent effort in showing that money isnt everything in life!!!@ Everyone hereAfter spending (wasting maybe?) my time reading all of these responses....I have to say I am deeply annoyed. Every response started as an Opinion....then degraded into people trashing everyone else's opinion. This is a huge problem I see with society in General. The "If you dont agree with me....you MUST be wrong" attitude retards us as a people.I respect each persons preference on here. I see both sides to these arguments. Does intel make a better High-end processor? Yes I believe so. Does AMD's offerings in the Mid-range price point tie and/or beat intel's offerings in the same price? Yes I believe it does.Whatever system someone chooses to build....chances are that they have mulled over it for weeks (months in some cases) about what they want in their system. I toiled with my build for nearly 2 months before I was happy. Some people favor a certian brand.....good for you!!! Some folks are deal hunters (myself included)....Thats great!!! The whole point is......you are happy with your own choices.If your best response is to belittle and undermine the other guy.....I pity you. Being so one sided in life (even over simple things) is a sad story.I hope each person here understands where I come from.....and I am positive there will be someone who needs to tell me im wrong.....but I welcome it....because it just makes me laugh. ^_^Cheers,-PM[/citation]

+1. I agree. I don't care what other people choose to put in their systems, just don't berate other people for choosing a different option. I can get a little defensive sometimes.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
This is awesome news. I wanted to build a computer for my aunt soon. Since dual core is all she needs I was looking toward the AMD Kuma 7750. However, I think I'll wait to see how well the new dual cores built on the Phenom II architecture perform. They should be more energy efficient and powerfull since the current Kuma's are built on regular Phenom.

G

I seem to remember that when AMD chips outperformed the P4 that AMD fans would point at benchmarks and rant about every last performance percentage. Now that the situation is reversed, it's 'real world' testing that matters and 'good enough' performance that counts. In other words, if you can't prove something is faster, just claim it 'feels' faster and you're all set. It's all in the perception rather than the actual facts of things

One word for those people like this: Mojave

I suppose some people are just desperate to have one brand or another win, but seriously folks, show some integrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.