[SOLVED] New AMD Ryzen 3600 with a 2070 SUPER Build advice

Nov 27, 2019
Hey Guys was just wondering whether this build would work well, with no bottlenecking etc.

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz
Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 212
Motherboard : Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4
Memory : G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16Gb (2*8gb) DDR4-3600, 16-19-19-39
Storage : M.2 NVME card (not concerned in which one at this moment)
Video Card : Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8Gb Strix gaming OC
Power Supply : Corsair CXM 650W
and I'll figure at the spacing with the case afterwards.

Any feedback is appreciated guys, just wanna get this build done asap.
Thanks.

Solution
Hey Guys was just wondering whether this build would work well, with no bottlenecking etc.

Thanks.

That build looks sensible.... just a couple of comments:

That motherboard isn't a 'max' model which means it might not support the 3600 out of the box (may need a...

Thanks.

That motherboard isn't a 'max' model which means it might not support the 3600 out of the box (may need a bios update). Not a serious problem but you might want to contact the place your buying it from before hand and ask them to update it to the latest bios just so you don't run into problems when you set up the machine.

The cooler you have selected isn't technically needed, the 3600 uses very little power and is usually ok on the included stock cooler, although you might get a bit more out of it with that cooler if you enable the 'PBO' feature in the bios.

I think a 3600 is fine for getting the most out of a 2070 in most situations- especially if you are wanting to crank up the graphics settings. It might hold it back slightly at lower resolutions in very cpu limited games if you are after very high frame rates (e.g. if you are after 400+ fps in CS:GO).

Solution
Nov 27, 2019

That motherboard isn't a 'max' model which means it might not support the 3600 out of the box (may need a bios update). Not a serious problem but you might want to contact the place your buying it from before hand and ask them to update it to the latest bios just so you don't run into problems when you set up the machine.

The cooler you have selected isn't technically needed, the 3600 uses very little power and is usually ok on the included stock cooler, although you might get a bit more out of it with that cooler if you enable the 'PBO' feature in the bios.

I think a 3600 is fine for getting the most out of a 2070 in most situations- especially if you are wanting to crank up the graphics settings. It might hold it back slightly at lower resolutions in very cpu limited games if you are after very high frame rates (e.g. if you are after 400+ fps in CS:GO).
I thought I'd bring in the cooler in case I wanted to overclock my CPU even if it is a bit(which I probably will now that you've said that).

Reactions: cdrkf
That motherboard does not get good reviews, the VRM’s get very hot. I’m looking at a similar build, have a list of parts for Black Friday/ Cyber Monday but decided on the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max which gets great reviews.

As for cooler I’d either stay with stock or go with something a bit better and quieter. The 212 doesn’t seem worth it.

Reactions: Nark15 and cdrkf
Nov 27, 2019
Nice build, I don't think there's any bottleneck here.

Btw why aren't you going with a Msi B450 tomhawk max ? Currently it's the best B450 board for 3000 series ryzen.
That motherboard does not get good reviews, the VRM’s get very hot. I’m looking at a similar build, have a list of parts for Black Friday/ Cyber Monday but decided on the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max which gets great reviews.

As for cooler I’d either stay with stock or go with something a bit better and quieter. The 212 doesn’t seem worth it.
Oh sweet I guess that would be a better option, Thanks! And what sort of cooler do you think would be better suited for moderate OC do you think?

shivababbli

Distinguished

Thanks.
[/Q

Thanks.
I will advice you to go for 3700x instead of that cooler