Question New Build/Advice: Z790 MSI Edge and RAID options for my SSD's?

klanum

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Looking for some advice...I've got this new Z790 Edge motherboard and looking at NvME M2 2280 SSD's for storage on this build. I have an older MSI motherboard already on previous build with a couple SSDs on the motherboard's RAID 1 for 5 years with no issues but I also don't know if the motherboard RAID is the best or not either. Therefore, I have a question that hopefully someone can give advice.

Here's my options:
=============
Option 1: 4 x 2TB in a RAID 10 configuration. Gives me the best of RAID 0 & 1 plus a bump in both read/write, all with a capacity of nearly 4TB overall. Allows for 1 drive to fail and replace.

Option 2: 2 x 4TB in a RAID 1 mirroring configuration. Gives me redundancy of a duplicate drive that will keep the data "safe and available" plus, and as I understand, a faster read-only, as the write speed will be the basically the same. The storage capacity will be near 4TB and again, allows for a single drive to fail with no issues.

Option 3: Just do a single 4TB with no RAID and keep it simple, knowing my only issue is that the drive is covered by its last external backup only. I don't have the redundancy of a mirror/stripe but I also none of the complexity & issues of a RAID.

Before anyone asks, I do weekly backups regularly of my important files regardless of if it is on a RAID or not. On the cost side, this is not an issue for me on either a 1SSD or 4SSD option in Options 1 & 2...I'm simply looking to build a great PC.

Anyone have any words of wisdom before I build?

Thanks in advance!

klanum

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I'm also guessing there's a 4th option with taking the 2 4TB drives and doing a JBOD as well. Again, one that has no "fault" option but as I understand JBOD's, they fill up sequentially as one drive fills up and then rolls over to the next disk in line.

TRENDING THREADS