New build crashing (motherboard)

avo

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
I’ve recently purchased a new kit and put it together only to find that it will freeze or randomly restart after about 5 minutes of being at the desktop. A friend has told me that it’s most likely my motherboard and how it has a nasty little ram issue. After reading some reviews, a lot of people are having issues with it detecting memory or is unstable.
Here is my current build.

Intel Core i7 920 Processor BX80601920
XFX X58i LGA1366 Motherboard
(2x) Corsair XMS3 Tri Channel 6GB PC10666 DDR3 Memory
Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB Hard Drive

If anyone has any suggestions or ways to help that would be appreciated. If the suspected motherboard is defective then I may go with an Asus P6T Motherboard. The only problem with this is that I’m not sure if all my parts will be compatible with it. So far it isn’t looking too good for the ram compatibility but I would like to see if anyone has a working similar build.

Thank you for your time and try to respond with simple solutions, as you might be able to tell my English isn’t that good.

Update: I tested each one of the six sticks of ram and they all seem to work fine by them self. The only confusing thing is that i can now move up to 3 sticks and can run stable. My guess is that my motherboard cannot fully support what it was advertised to do :( (full 12GB).

Syal

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
First thing you could do is take out the RAM bricks and put it into a computer that supports the PCxxxx version of your RAM, you'll then be quickly able to determine what parts are having issues.

If not you could also have a corrupted version of the operatingsystem (if you did boot up in one), so you can also check for that.

avo

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Sadly I have no access to a computer that supports tri channel ram. And as for the OS, I forgot to mention that I’m running Windows 7 64 bit. I don’t think that the OS is the problem because I’ve tried Vista 64 bit and had the same issue.