Question New Build, everything seems fine then internet goes out and external drives disappear?

Sep 20, 2024
I just built a new pc fresh Valid install of windows i boot in and everythings fine for about 5 or sometimes 30 mins then the internet would go out like a driver issue, updated all the drivers but also my external hardrives go offline as well, the drives were in my front usb ports

Lutfij

Titan
We're going to need a little more info. When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

I just built a new pc fresh Valid install of windows
Where did you source the installer for the OS? Did you install said OS in offline mode?

updated all the drivers
Did you use a third party app to do this? Please elaborate.

the drives were in my front usb ports
Use the USB ports on the back of the motherboard/case.

Sep 20, 2024
I just built a budget

CoolerMaster Case
Thermal right 240 aio argb
Ryzen 7 5700g
2 sticks of corsair vengeance 2x16 3200
Asus BM450a-II
1 512gig m.2 windows install
1 2tb firecuda
Shadowkings Rx 580 8gb
500w psu pulled from a ASUS Strix G10DK (approx 3 years old)
PRIME B450M-A II BIOS 4604
but i see they just released a new beta version last month i will try to use my flashback button to see if that makes a diffrence
No 3rd part apps everything from Asus downloads/ Armoury Crate
Used Windows Media Creation tool to make the Boot Usb

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
No 3rd part apps everything from Asus downloads/ Armoury Crate
I can't remember why, but when I installed Armoury Crate on my Asus build in December 2022, it caused problems. It might have clashed with Adobe Photoshop, but it's too long ago to remember.

I tried to uninstall Armoury Crate, but it refused to go. I couldn't be bothered to reinstall Windows so I simply disabled Armoury Crate from starting with Windows.

IM USING A 12V to 5v Rgb to ARGB adpater, and im hoping that isnt causing the issues
Temporarily disconect the RGB to ARGB adapter and see what happens.

500w psu pulled from a ASUS Strix G10DK (approx 3 years old)
It would help could tell us the manufacturer's name and exact model number printed on the side of the ATX power supply. At 3 years old, it should still be OK if it's a reasonable make, but some computer cases are supplied with really cheap PSUs that should be thrown in the trash.

A good Bronze PSU should come with a 3 to 5 year warranty. A good Gold PSU with 7 to 10 years and some Platinums 10 to 12 years (rough rule of thumb only). A no-name unbranded $20 PSU might have a 1 year warranty or none at all (depending where you live).

If you have another desktop PC with a compatible PSU, you could swap it with the one in your wife's new machine.

Shadowkings Rx 580 8gb
I have a couple of RX580s myself, but they're old cards. It might be an idea to run a short Furmark stress test, to see if the GPU and PSU are working well together.
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/furmark/

2 sticks of corsair vengeance 2x16 3200
Just in case you have a memory problem, try running MemTest86 from a USB memory stick. Are you running at 3200MT/s or at a higher speed?

windows 11 home
It might be an idea to run SFC and/or DISM to clean up Windows system files.
https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

Thermal right 240 aio argb
I don't use water cooling myself, but where are the pump motor and radiator fans connected? It's my understanding the pump should run continuously at full speed (12V), e.g on the CHA_FAN2 header with speed/temperature curve set to maximum in BIOS and the radiator fans should be controlled by the CPU temperature, e.g. on the CPU_FAN header. Check your CPU temperatures and see if it gets really hot just before the system crashes. If the 5700G does get too hot, it should throttle to avoid damage. In extreme overheating cases, the system will shut down.

everything's fine for about 5 or sometimes 30 mins
I disable all power saving features in Windows. They have this annoying tendency of "breaking" things. By default in Windows, the screen goes blank if you stop using the keyboard and mouse for a while, the "hard disk" shuts down after 20 minutes of inactivity, the USB ports go into "selective suspend" power saving mode, PCI express Link State Management is set to Moderate power savings, the USB Root Hubs are turned off to save power, the Ethernet Adapter is tuned off to save power. The list goes on and on. It's all good for the planet and bad for USB peripherals and Ethernet.

There's a lot of settings you can tweak in Control Panel under Power Options, Choose or customize a plan, Change plan settings, Change advanced power settings (look specifically at Hard disk, Wireless Adapter settings, Sleep, USB settings, PCI express and Display). There are more settings in Control Panel, Device Manager under Network Adapters and Universal Serial Bus controllers (look for the Power Management tab).