Question New Build - Fans unresponsive to change

Dec 26, 2019
Recently finished my first build, noticed rather quickly my CPU overheating (only under strenuous load) and my CPU cooler not budging [Kraken x72]. Not responding to temp changes, or even if i set fans to "Fixed" and manually change them. Always remain at idle. After troubleshooting that for a while, trying CPU_OPT for pump cable instead of CPU_FAN, all combinations of plug switching and re-securing, i noticed my Case fans behaving the same way. Ive attempted these fan changes through their native apps, as well as in Bios.

My case fans run to the Thermaltake RGB + Controller, which then feeds into the same USB splitter/header my CPU Cooler is plugged into. I have the Aorus TRX40 Xtreme, and this split header adapter is the only means of connecting to the Motherboard via USB(2.0), but it seems like it must be the culprit right? Ive effectively built a monster of a machine that im unable to load in any significant way because none of the cooling mechanisms will do their job lol, what do i do?

I have a "ticket request" with Gigabyte about this, but given the holidays I suspect it will be outstanding for a while. Thanks for any input!

[specs in case it matters]

AMD Threadripper 3970x
NZXT Krakenx72
Aorus TRX40 Xtreme
2x Aorus 2080Ti Xtreme Waterforce
DDR4 3600 64g GSkill Trident Neo
Corsair ax1600i
Thermaltake View 91 RGB Case

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Try disconnecting the RGB connectors on all of the fans and just have them powered from the mobo fan connectors.
I have a Ryzen 3700x with a Wraith Prism cooler and the RGB connectors aren't plugged in but the fan still works fine.

Andy

Dec 26, 2019
Try disconnecting the RGB connectors on all of the fans and just have them powered from the mobo fan connectors.
I have a Ryzen 3700x with a Wraith Prism cooler and the RGB connectors aren't plugged in but the fan still works fine.

Andy

Id like to try that but these fans connectors aren't compatible with standard 4-pin SYS_FAN headers, theyre some proprietary 5-pin ones by Thermaltake apparently, cant plug straight into Mobo. Would love to bypass all this RGB bs and just get my system "working" lol

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Well as the fans don't plug into the SYS FAN headers it means your PC isn't able to communicate with them in the traditional way.

Does the Thermaltake have its own software which includes fan control?
If not then I don't see how they would work.

TRENDING THREADS