New Build (ish)

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
HI All :)
I'm planning on building a new systems but will be using some bits from my old system so is this a new build? :pt1cable:

I will be buying a new case, but keeping my 1000w OCZ PSU, New MOBO with new RAM but would like to keep the P4 651 for the moment, until I can afford a good Quad core. I need a new GPU as my old one is AGP. I have a 250Gb SATAII & LG DVD RAM but would like IDE support for 2 devices.

I will use my current XP installation so No need for OS.

Here's the rub! I play Fallout3, Oblivion NWN2 & Freelancer on pretty high setting with my X1950 PRO & OC'd P4 so would be looking for a marked improvement on that.

The main reason for the new build is my RAM seems to be reaching the end of it's life & the SATA cables on my SATA drives keep falling out so any thoughts on GOOD SATA cables/sockets would score brownie points. :D :D

Thanks in advance.

NeilV

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Most new graphics cards use pcie 2.0 which is not comptable with agp motherboards. I think your better off upgrading your cpu/mb/ram. What kind of ram do you have? DDR, DDR2...ect?

What does your budget look like for upgrades?
What is the resolution and size of your monitor?

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006

Hi Kubes,
Thanks for your speedy response, I rambled a little bit in my post I'm afraid. I NEED new RAM but am not sure whether DDR2 or 3 is appropriate. I NEED a new MOBO for this so will NEED a new GPU but would like to re-use the P4 until a bit later if I can. I deliberately didn't include a budget as I am in the UK and prices vary quiet a bit. I suppose I'm looking for the cheapest upgrade which is future proof (DDR2/3,Quad Core compatible) and gives me a good improvement on the X1950, P4 (@4.01 Ghz) 1.5Gb of DDR combination.

As with everyone these days, the cheaper the better.LOL

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Can you at least give me a bal park figure? Even if its in Euros that'll work.

So the things I think would be ok to keep are: OS, PSU, and your hard drive. The rest of your items I think should get revamped, or you will be faced with comptability issues.

One other question. What are your expectations for this PC? And when you say future proof, how long are you thinking future proof means?

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hi Kubes,
by future proof I mean that any MOBO I buy should be able to run Duo and preferably Quad core later & SATAII. I would like a MOBO with some sort of SLI/Crossfire option (not a must have but a plus if I can.) I have seen MOBO's with DDR2 & DDR3 support but if the cost is with in $30 for DDR3 is it worth going straight for DDR3. I don't want to go for DDR2 667 as I will want to replace that again with faster within 6 months.

As far as a ball park figure goes, I think about £200 - £250 which is probably about $250 - $300 USD but prices in the UK are quite different from US so just base it on that.

I Haven't done any benchmarks with my current set up but obviously I'm looking for a better GPU than the X1950 PRO for the games I mentioned and a cheap, good quality RAM, I suppose 3 or 4 Gb (as I'm not changing OS just yet I suppose 4Gb would be overkill :( :( )

I appreciate this is probably a tall order but if 'Not Possible' is the answer then give it to me straight, I can take it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

NeilV

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hi All. :D :D
Just wanted to let you all know. I spent £267 and bought;

New case,
ASROCK 4Core1600Twins-P35 which supports DDR2 & DDR3 & will support Crossfire when I need it!
PowerColor HD4850 512Mb DDR4 which clocks @ 675Mhz Clock 1100Mhz RAM
2 x 2Gb Kingston HyperX DDR2 800 RAM

And of course some Arctic Silver! :lol: :lol:

After a few false starts it works well but it looks like I can't hold off the new CPU for V.long as it is bottle necking quite a bit. Oh Well can't win them all. ;) ;)

Thanks for all your help!

NeilV

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006

I bet they don't get anymore of those in. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But if they do I'll have 2. :D :D :D