[SOLVED] New build, no display, solid red light (not boot/vga/dram/cpu)

Captain_Magic

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
First of all, hello everyone! Thank you, in advance, to anyone who is willing and able to offer help.

I just finished my first ever liquid cooled build. Here is the complete parts list.
I have built several air cooled PCs in the past and have never had the issue I am facing. I have searched and searched but cannot find an answer.

I started to power up for the first time...everything looked okay--all lights were on, fans and pump were spinning, ASUS logo came up on screen, etc--then everything in PC started surging. What I mean is that power would go off, then come back for a bit like it was starting up, then go off, and repeat. I killed power and rechecked every connection, etc. Prior to starting, I had run the pump, alone, for several hours off of the power supply with no issue.

I tried to start, again...this time there was no surging, but nothing on screen. It just sat there for a while and then a solid red light came on near RAM (here is a picture). This is not the boot/vga/dram/cpu led. I could not find any mention of it in the manual. The nearest label on the board is "PLED5300". I'm not getting any Q-Code. I killed the power, again, and tried to troubleshoot via the Google.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I read something about bad RAM and I tried several combinations of sticks in case I had some bad stuff--1 stick, two stick, red stick, blue stick. No dice. Would power on and end up with no display and that steady red light.

Waited a bit...checked all connections, etc, again... Tried to power on. Same thing, this time--red light came on after a bit. I let it sit for a minute or so in that state while I was inspecting the board and suddenly I saw a very tiny amount of white smoke from somewhere above that led. I killed power, immediately, and haven't touched it, since--I am dreading the process of draining the loop, disassembling, and whatever comes next. Really hoping no components are fried--whatever gave off the tiny bit of smoke was not substantial enough to even cause a smell.

I'm really at a loss as to what to do. Has anyone experienced this issue or does anyone have an idea of what is going on? Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks, again!

Last edited:
First of all, hello everyone! Thank you, in advance, to anyone who is willing and able to offer help.

I just finished my first ever liquid cooled build. Here is the complete parts list.
I have built several air cooled PCs in the past and have never had the issue I am facing. I have searched and searched but cannot find an answer.

I started to power up for the first time...everything looked okay--all lights were on, fans and pump were spinning, ASUS logo came up on screen, etc--then everything in PC started surging. What I mean is that power would go off, then come back for a bit like it was starting up, then go off, and repeat. I killed power and rechecked every connection, etc. Prior to starting, I had run the pump, alone, for several hours off of the power supply with no issue.

I tried to start, again...this time there was no surging, but nothing on screen. It just sat there for a while and then a solid red light came on near RAM (here is a picture). This is not the boot/vga/dram/cpu led. I could not find any mention of it in the manual. The nearest label on the board is "PLED5300". I'm not getting any Q-Code. I killed the power, again, and tried to troubleshoot via the Google.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I read something about bad RAM and I tried several combinations of sticks in case I had some bad stuff--1 stick, two stick, red stick, blue stick. No dice. Would power on and end up with no display and that steady red light.

Waited a bit...checked all connections, etc, again... Tried to power on. Same thing, this time--red light came on after a bit. I let it sit for a minute or so in that state while I was inspecting the board and suddenly I saw a very tiny amount of white smoke from somewhere above that led. I killed power, immediately, and haven't touched it, since--I am dreading the process of draining the loop, disassembling, and whatever comes next. Really hoping no components are fried--whatever gave off the tiny bit of smoke was not substantial enough to even cause a smell.

I'm really at a loss as to what to do. Has anyone experienced this issue or does anyone have an idea of what is going on? Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks, again!
Well the “surging” was likely the computer bios trying to figure out what speed to run your RAM for it to pass boot. Shutting it off wasn’t preferred. Will need to clear cmos and see if you can get it back up. Next time you’d be best going into the bios and setting XMP so the motherboard knows what speed to set the RAM versus it “surging “ and trying to figure it out.

Captain_Magic

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
Well the “surging” was likely the computer bios trying to figure out what speed to run your RAM for it to pass boot. Shutting it off wasn’t preferred. Will need to clear cmos and see if you can get it back up. Next time you’d be best going into the bios and setting XMP so the motherboard knows what speed to set the RAM versus it “surging “ and trying to figure it out.

Thanks for the quick reply! I was trying to get into BIOS when that started happening. Remember, this was the very first power up.

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Is any of your CPU_Fan/AIO_Pump/W_Pump+ connectors in use? Are both EPS slots connected?
Did you test any component before starting the build, it's a pain in the ass having to take everything apart because something doesn't work. :p

Captain_Magic

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
Is any of your CPU_Fan/AIO_Pump/W_Pump+ connectors in use? Are both EPS slots connected?
Did you test any component before starting the build, it's a pain in the ass having to take everything apart because something doesn't work. :p

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, all power is connected up. I have triple-triple-triple checked haha

I have my top radiator (2x120) fans connected to CPU_FAN via a y-splitter cable and I have my front radiator fans (3x120) connected to my CHA_FAN1 via splitters. The pump has a dedicated pump header (W_PUMP+) plus half a molex for power, and my rear exhaust (120mm) is connected to CHA_FAN2.

As you said, I am dreading disassembly and want to exhaust any and all options before that. But I'm out of ideas... :/

EDIT: The only components I tested before assembly were power supply and pump/water loop.

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Sorry, I got nothing, except trying a different PSU, but that's still going to be such a hassle.
You even said you tested that, so we're both out of ideas, sorry. :(

Next time(I doubt I have to remind you now, but still.), make sure everything runs, just use the motherboard box and put everything together, see if it boots and runs.

Reactions: Captain_Magic