Question New build, older PSU

Sep 1, 2024
Greetings all. I'll be putting this together -

7600 CPU
5700XT
B650E, X670 or X670E (Looking to have PCIe 5.0 on a new mb for the future)
Corsair DDR5 16GB ram
Western Digital 250GB Blue (Just bought new, I plan on adding/replacing with a new SSD at some point).

Will use the same case, keyboard, mouse, monitor (BenQ from about 2016 that works well),
The question I have is the PSU is an OCZ ZS 750W I bought new in 2011. Has worked great all this time, it has 6 + 2 cables which I've read works fine in 8 pin sockets). I know its an older PSU but the wattage should be more than enough and it works flawlessly since buying it. I plan on getting a new PSU for this in the next 6 months. I'm sure comments will be to not use a PSU this old but are there any real dangers? Will this PSU be workable for a few months at least? I'm trying hard to keep this build near $600 currently.

Thanks for any insights.

The question I have is the PSU is an OCZ ZS 750W I bought new in 2011. Has worked great all this time,
For your new build work in a new power supply.

If you were asking can my old power supply get me by with a less demanding GPU like a GTX 960 and 4th gen Intel CPU i7 in that grey area more likely.

New parts, 13 years age on power supply. Don't skimp on feeding new parts with proper healthy power supply. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ralston18
Sep 1, 2024
Thanks for the replies.

I plan on getting a new PSU sooner than later and thanks for the link I've been looking at an 850W modular PSU when I do buy one.

The older one is 750W as noted so plenty of power and electricity is electricity, if the cables on the older one will plug in and work with the new parts I listed it should work fine 'I would guess'. I've been going between spending $400 and building a DDR4/ PCIe 4/ AMD 5600 but for a couple hundred dollars more I can get to DDR5 and PCIe 5 and can swap out the CPU for something better later and the MB will be better suited to future proof this build for as long as possible. I'm using my old ATX case and peripherals as I noted.

In all the reading I've done which is considerable the 6 + 2 cables on the older PSU should work fine in the 8 pin power ports for the newer parts and it generally looks like the cabling on the old PSU will fit most everything today as well. I'll look for a PSU on sale the next few weeks I guess.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Modular cables are not universal. Re-using modular cables without knowing for a *fact* that the exact pinout on the PSU side is identical, is a great way to no longer have a new part (and this wouldn't be a warranty issue either).