[SOLVED] New build PC keeps restarting

Mar 2, 2020
Hello,

Yesterday I build my new PC but after installing Windows 10 and the new drivers for my Motherboard and GPU my PC would randomly restart.
Sometimes it would restart at the login screen, when I open my browser or open a folder. The time it would restart is also random sometimes it restarts immediately, after 5min or 30min with no real pattern.
I would get a black screen and all the RGB would turn off like the power was cut off and after a second it would turn back on.
After switching my GPU to a different Slot my PC still keeps restarting with a black screen but this time all my RGBs would stay on.

My Specs :
CPU: Ryzen 3600
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce Rtx 2060 Super Gaming OC
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600MHz 16gb
PSU: Corsair RM650x
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

What I've tried:
Reinstalling Windows
Switch GPU slots
Switch RAM slots
Checking if my Cables are loose
Downloading the latest driver and overwriting the old ones.

With no other idea what to do I'm turning to this forum for help.
Thank you in advance for taking your time reading this and trying to help.

Solution
I have dropped my RAM speed to 2400MHz and switched the RAM Slots from 2 and 4 to 1 and 3 and it hasn't restarted since then

It can be tricky to get high speed ram stable on Ryzen. I would run you system through a few tests (e.g. run 3D Mark or Unigine Heaven to stress the gpu and something like Prime 95 to stress the cpu) and see if the machine behaves. Assuming you get no problem then you probably want to go back and play around with the memory settings to see if you can get the speed up for better performance.

MSI provide a section on their website with tested settings for different memory kits:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX#support-mem-19
(from the link go to 'compatibility' on the left...
Hello,

Yesterday I build my new PC but after installing Windows 10 and the new drivers for my Motherboard and GPU my PC would randomly restart.
Sometimes it would restart at the login screen, when I open my browser or open a folder. The time it would restart is also random sometimes it restarts immediately, after 5min or 30min with no real pattern.
I would get a black screen and all the RGB would turn off like the power was cut off and after a second it would turn back on.
After switching my GPU to a different Slot my PC still keeps restarting with a black screen but this time all my RGBs would stay on.

My Specs :
CPU: Ryzen 3600
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce Rtx 2060 Super Gaming OC
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600MHz 16gb
PSU: Corsair RM650x
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

What I've tried:
Reinstalling Windows
Switch GPU slots
Switch RAM slots
Checking if my Cables are loose
Downloading the latest driver and overwriting the old ones.

With no other idea what to do I'm turning to this forum for help.
Thank you in advance for taking your time reading this and trying to help.

Hi so for starters what settings are you running your ram at? If you have it running at 3600, try dropping it to DDR4 default speed (2400mhz) and see if the machine is more stable....

Mar 2, 2020
Hi so for starters what settings are you running your ram at? If you have it running at 3600, try dropping it to DDR4 default speed (2400mhz) and see if the machine is more stable....
I have dropped my RAM speed to 2400MHz and switched the RAM Slots from 2 and 4 to 1 and 3 and it hasn't restarted since then

Reactions: cdrkf

It can be tricky to get high speed ram stable on Ryzen. I would run you system through a few tests (e.g. run 3D Mark or Unigine Heaven to stress the gpu and something like Prime 95 to stress the cpu) and see if the machine behaves. Assuming you get no problem then you probably want to go back and play around with the memory settings to see if you can get the speed up for better performance.

MSI provide a section on their website with tested settings for different memory kits:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX#support-mem-19
(from the link go to 'compatibility' on the left then choose "memory by Ryzen RX-3X00" from the top for memory kits tested with your cpu and the settings that work. Looks like that combo of motherboard and cpu should work with 3600 mhz ram.

Solution