[SOLVED] New Build PC won’t start

Apr 2, 2020
Hi guys,
I’m very new to Pc building but recently experienced some freezing problems on my build which seemed to be mobo related. The screen would freeze on whatever I was doing and power button had to be held to do anything. I tested the keyboard caps lock whilst it was frozen as recommended by a friend, this didn’t come on even with the computer still on yet frozen and so he suggested this was some form of hardware issue.

Since my system was quite old I decided that I would upgrade a few bits and pieces so invested in a new CPU, Mobo, RAM and GPU.

When all the parts arrived I set the system up seemingly successfully, all the fans were running and led’s on yet I would get no signal through my display. My cpu doesn’t have integrated graphics I believe (AMD Ryzen 5 3600) and so hdmi via the gpu (RADEON RX 580 XFX) was the only option for me, the dvi cable I have is the wrong size.

After looking at forums I decided the reseat the cpu and after doing this I then didn’t get anything when I pressed the power button. I’ve inspected the cpu and I can’t see any bent pins and it is seated securely.

I tried rebuilding my old build that previously sort of worked and would also have the no display issue I was experiencing and even this still won’t power on at all now. I do get the standby power led lit green on my old Mobo (ASUS A88XM-Plus) but much new mobo does not have any led to check (B450M-HDV R4.0).

I’ve upgraded everything bar the psu could this be the cause at all? I have no means of testing the psu as we are in lockdown and have no other computer to test it with.

Thank you so much in advance for all your help!

Solution
although 3rd gen ready should mean ships with an up-to-date (3rd gen supporting) BIOS, we won't know until/if seeing if it perhaps works ok with a 2nd gen CPU....

Proceed with standard steps, disconnect all drives, unneeded hardware (including USB headers, extraneous sound cards, etc), maybe even drop down to single RAM stick, then try CMOS/clear BIOS, and try again....; allow it to restart a few times on it's own while it attempts 'figuring itself out' with hardware inventories, etc...

Is your PSU adequate for an RX580? (not all older PSUs can handle every GPU, if applicable, but since you mentioned upgrading from an older rig, naturally a PSU can be a culprit at any time...

You can test your GPU in another rig, or try another...
Hi guys,
I’m very new to Pc building but recently experienced some freezing problems on my build which seemed to be mobo related. The screen would freeze on whatever I was doing and power button had to be held to do anything. I tested the keyboard caps lock whilst it was frozen as recommended by a friend, this didn’t come on even with the computer still on yet frozen and so he suggested this was some form of hardware issue.

Since my system was quite old I decided that I would upgrade a few bits and pieces so invested in a new CPU, Mobo, RAM and GPU.

When all the parts arrived I set the system up seemingly successfully, all the fans were running and led’s on yet I would get no signal through my display. My cpu doesn’t have integrated graphics I believe (AMD Ryzen 5 3600) and so hdmi via the gpu (RADEON RX 580 XFX) was the only option for me, the dvi cable I have is the wrong size.

After looking at forums I decided the reseat the cpu and after doing this I then didn’t get anything when I pressed the power button. I’ve inspected the cpu and I can’t see any bent pins and it is seated securely.

I tried rebuilding my old build that previously sort of worked and would also have the no display issue I was experiencing and even this still won’t power on at all now. I do get the standby power led lit green on my old Mobo (ASUS A88XM-Plus) but much new mobo does not have any led to check (B450M-HDV R4.0).

I’ve upgraded everything bar the psu could this be the cause at all? I have no means of testing the psu as we are in lockdown and have no other computer to test it with.

Thank you so much in advance for all your help!
It's possible you have wrong (old) BIOS version and not nes one needed for 3rd gen Ryzen to work on that MB.

although 3rd gen ready should mean ships with an up-to-date (3rd gen supporting) BIOS, we won't know until/if seeing if it perhaps works ok with a 2nd gen CPU....

Proceed with standard steps, disconnect all drives, unneeded hardware (including USB headers, extraneous sound cards, etc), maybe even drop down to single RAM stick, then try CMOS/clear BIOS, and try again....; allow it to restart a few times on it's own while it attempts 'figuring itself out' with hardware inventories, etc...

Is your PSU adequate for an RX580? (not all older PSUs can handle every GPU, if applicable, but since you mentioned upgrading from an older rig, naturally a PSU can be a culprit at any time...

You can test your GPU in another rig, or try another PSU (be sure not to ever mix modular cables from differing PSUs!), check that CPU is properly inserted with no bent pins, etc., ultimately leaving you with a mainboard after exhausting other options..

Reactions: CrocQueen19
Solution
Apr 2, 2020

You can test your GPU in another rig, or try another PSU (be sure not to ever mix modular cables from differing PSUs!), check that CPU is properly inserted with no bent pins, etc., ultimately leaving you with a mainboard after exhausting other options..
Thanks for you reply! :)
CMOS/clear BIOS is that when removing the battery and putting in again after 10/15 minutes? Sorry I’m very new to all this!

My PSU is a Corsair CX500M so it is fairly small, and since I have had problems with both rigs I thought it could potentially be a problem area?
I have ordered a new PSU that should arrive Saturday, I got a 650W so figured that should be sufficient for what I have? Fingers crossed that will solve the issue as it’s the only thing left that isn’t brand new!

thank you again for your help!