New Build - Problems WHAT!?!

ryanb213

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
ok i just finished my build and am proud ti say all went well. the problem is when i turn on my my computer it tells me first my hard drive is not found, but is reads it fine in the bios. in fact im typing off it right now. its works, but at boot up it says no storage devices found or something like that. the seond one is my dvd-drive. same problem it works but a get the message and have to press f1 to continue.
my specs are:

e8400 @ 3.825
4gb crucial ram
asus p5q pro
9800gtx+
250gb 7200.10 seagate sata hdd
random sony dvd burner
-the other stuff is not nessacery to list

ryanb213

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
both are sata and they both work. i used them on a previous pc and worked fine. the boot order is the hdd, then dvd drive 3rd is disabled. maybe update the bios? what u think?

There is a setting in the BIOS to enable onboard SATA devices. All BIOS are different, but you will have a setting to enable them. Check around in the settings and look for SATA settings, make sure they are enabled instead of IDE.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I would assume that it's probably your IDE controller saying there's no storage drives found because you have nothing plugged into your IDE ports. But it should continue to search for drives on your SATA controller. Not sure why you have to press F1 but some BIOS's have options that require you to press F1 at every error message. There should, or may, be an option to change that to only require you to press F1 for more serious messages like no keyboard present or something.

If SATA devices aren't enabled, then your SATA controller would be disabled and your drives wouldn't work, I would think at least. What I think aford10 is talking about is the ability for boards to emulate SATA drives as IDE devices. Your SATA options in BIOS can allow you set your SATA controller as [IDE], [SATA], [RAID], or [AHCI], or least options very similar to those. This allows OS's to run SATA devices without installing SATA, RAID, or AHCI drivers and use just the included generic IDE drivers of the OS to use your SATA devices because your BIOS is emulating your SATA drives as IDE drives to the OS.

ryanb213

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008

ok "Your SATA options in BIOS can allow you set your SATA controller as [IDE], [SATA], [RAID], or [AHCI], or least options very similar to those" - waht should that be on and should i disabled ide? i have no ide. btw i disabled f1 error messages so that fixed but it still says on boot up in these exact words "no hard disks found!" then continues to boot. its more of and annoyance if you get where im coming from

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Disable AHCI, and do not enable RAID unless you use it. Set it instead to IDE (compatibility mode, some HDD's just have problems), or SATA. Also make sure the DVD is connected to a secondary SATA controller, also do not, I REPEAT DO NOT connect either to the Orange, or White SATA connectors on the board (These are set to AUTO RAID whatever is on them).

ryanb213

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
ok all good there is no sata option so it says ide, the hdd and dvd drive are plugged into the red ports (the standard on this board) and it still happens.
the hard drive and dvd drive both came from a dell, yes i said dell unfortunatley :(. is that my problem? the hdd is a seagete 250gb 7200.10 version for the dvd drive i have no clue. im planning on getting a 500gb within a few weeks. do you think that will sovle the problem?

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Oh, if IDE is not an option then Compatibility maybe an option instead. Compatibility is the same as IDE in this case. If you set it to SATA, RAID, or AHCI, you'd have to have the corresponding drivers installed in Windows during installation to run. Otherwise your machine will just blue screen until you set the option back to IDE or Compatibility mode. It will always say "No hard disks found" as long as you do not have any drives plugged into any of the IDE ports on your board. It's just your IDE controller saying there's no hard disks present. If you want the message to disappear, you may be able to disable to your IDE controller in BIOS but you'll have to reenable it before you can use any IDE drives in the future.

At least I fixed your F1 problem... lol

ryanb213

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
ok i will never have any ide drives soo disable ide? because its sata thats not there, ide is. how do i install the sata drivers? keep in mind this was my first build soo noob question are allowed imo.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Wow Asus' website is a slow piece of ****... Well I took a look at the manual for your board. In BIOS, under

MAIN >
Storage Configuration >
SATA CONFIGURATION (needs to be set to) [Enhanced]
Configure SATA as (needs to be set to) [whatever it was before]

"Configure SATA as" was probably set to [IDE] the begin with if you didn't have to hit F6 when loading Windows setup to install third party drivers. Also, installing the drivers through Windows setup is the only way I've ever been successful in running the drives as [RAID] or [AHCI] in Windows.

As far as ridding yourself of the "no hard disks found" message is not going to be a possibility I think. It's either referring to your IDE controller or your RAID controller. You can't disable your IDE controller from what I've seen in your BIOS and you'd have to disable your SATA controller to disable the RAID controller. Bu that would render your SATA drives unusable. I don't have this board so this is what I've gathered just looking through the manual. What does it claims it's detecting right before it's claims there's "no hard disks found"?

Essentially, I think you're just going to have to live with the no hard disks found message. I don't think you can get rid of it.

ryanb213

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
it says -
marvel 88se61
Initializing
No hard disks found!

then continues boot. if u ask me thats alot less of a problem than having to press f1 at boot up.

ryanb213

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
ok i got rid of the messages - both of them
arson your disable f1 error fix worked for the dvd drive :) thnx man
the"no hard disks detected" was fixed by disabling the marvell 88se61 adapter

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Your welcome for the F1 problem. And by googling the adapter you disabled, I found that the marvell 88se61 adapter is your IDE controller. Remember in my posts above I was mentioning that disabling your IDE controller would probably solve the problem because there were no devices installed on your IDE ports? Well, then I said that I couldn't find the option to disable your IDE controller by looking through the manual for your board's BIOS. Well congratulations, you found the option to disable your IDE controller lol... Sorry I didn't see it earlier man. I throught my suggestion was the right way to go, but I just didn't see the option to do it in the manual. lol, my bad. Enjoy though!

Just remember that if for some reason you need to install and use an IDE drive in the future, you'll have to enable that adapter again.

For future reference, when installing Vista 64-bit SP1 on an ASUS P45 board, just ignore the ASUS CD completely. If you need to update or install sound drivers, do those separately by downloading only what you need.
Works out a lot better ;)