Question New build question

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Itz_TryFX

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
I'm going to build my first PC as I heard you can get potentially a better build for cheaper.
Here is the specs I want to go for: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/YungEb_/saved/MxqNzy

Question 1: Will the stock cooler be enough for gaming whilst having other applications open in the background?
Question 2: Will I be able to install a 1TB HDD alongside the 1TB SSD I have there?
Question 3: Are those specs good enough to run games like GTA 5, Squad, Insurgency Sandstorm, Warzone at 1080p with a good amount of FPS?
Question 4: Anything else you guys suggest me adding or changing or anything I need to build it as not only is this my first PC I will build but this is my first ever PC.

I'm planning on purchasing the parts via eBay, Amazon and Facebook Marketplace. Any scams/tricks I should be looking out for?

Itz_TryFX

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
I have NEVER heard of issues with having integrated video. You can use it or turn it off and use your video card.

You check RAM compatibility by going to motherboard web site support area and looking for the list of known compatible memory. Memory NOT on that list might work. Might not. Memory on that list is known to be compatible.

The tech guy recommended 750 watt and your link above says you ordered 850. I don't know what you actually did.

If you cannot now change the order, it doesn't matter.
Sorry I meant the tech guy recommended 850 not 750, my bad.

I'll have a look at the motherboards website now. As for the integrated graphics, I'm not entirely sure lol this is my first pc ever so I'mn quite ignorant when it comes to these types of topics

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The integrated gpu isn't necessary since using the RX6600, but if you would have troubles is it a good to have option. It will add again to cost. The integrated gpu will not be in use when using a dedicated (RX6600) so no worries there, just don't download any drivers for it, the basic drivers from windows will work fine for it if it should be neccesary.

You could use this psu which is fine and 20 pounds cheaper as i linked before,
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020230-eu
The MSI tower will also save money or the Tecware Forge M (M-ATX one), both have enough fans to start with no need to add.

The case has "Six total fan positions for high-airflow capability"

So you mean you recommend me getting 3?

I'd probably buy 3 now and evaluate.

Probably mount 2 in front, 1 in back, none on the top.

Front fans blowing in. Back fan sucking out.

I don't know where your case mounts are. Presumably some on top.

I know nothing about that fan. It may be good, average or horrible.

Chances of you needing more than 3 are minimal unless your case is poorly ventilated or you are obsessed with temperatures or you like more noise.

If you buy a heavy duty GPU next year, re-evaluate fans at that time.

Itz_TryFX

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
I'd probably buy 3 now and evaluate.

Probably mount 2 in front, 1 in back, none on the top.

Front fans blowing in. Back fan sucking out.

I don't know where your case mounts are. Presumably some on top.

I know nothing about that fan. It may be good, average or horrible.

Chances of you needing more than 3 are minimal unless your case is poorly ventilated or you are obsessed with temperatures or you like more noise.

If you buy a heavy duty GPU next year, re-evaluate fans at that time.
Ok will do mate, cheers for the help with the fans

Itz_TryFX

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
The integrated gpu isn't necessary since using the RX6600, but if you would have troubles is it a good to have option. It will add again to cost. The integrated gpu will not be in use when using a dedicated (RX6600) so no worries there, just don't download any drivers for it, the basic drivers from windows will work fine for it if it should be neccesary.

You could use this psu which is fine and 20 pounds cheaper as i linked before,
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020230-eu
The MSI tower will also save money or the Tecware Forge M (M-ATX one), both have enough fans to start with no need to add.
I've already placed my order for the psu and the case, I'm willing to purchase 2 more case fans. As I said my budget has increased last minute thanks to my dad helping me out

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

Itz_TryFX

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
I doubt if MSI will be of much help on your specific RAM choice if it is not on their list.

They may be encouraging or dismissive or vague.

There is a reasonable chance your chosen RAM will be OK, but not certain.
It says here it is thought, I think I might of missed it on their website. Any chance you could click on this link and confirm if it is saying it's compatible. I just want to be 100% sure as I'm not entirely sure.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/?compatible_with=JmyV3C

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
It says here it is thought, I think I might of missed it on their website. Any chance you could click on this link and confirm if it is saying it's compatible. I just want to be 100% sure as I'm not entirely sure.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/?compatible_with=JmyV3C
Compatibility for ram can be looked at here,
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-B660M-A-WIFI-DDR4/support#mem
they cannot test all types so it's a guide and even saw in a recent thread that it doesn't mean all just works well with supported ram.

Itz_TryFX

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
Reactions: Vic 40
Lafong suggested I add none to the top? I'm confused now lol shall I put one on the top or not?

You can't know that now.

You will need to experiment.

Where are the mounts? The case has 6 sides.

Don't worry about it now.

Prioritize your concerns.

You may end up blocking off some of the unused mounts. Or just leave them open. All to be decided later after you have it up and running.....by experimentation.

All of your fan fiddling may not make a lot of difference......but you may be the type of person who will spend 50 hours fiddling with fans to move temps from 60 to 57. I don't know.

Itz_TryFX

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
If you really want to pack the case with decent fans is this a good option, only thing is that they come with bog standard screws that are of silver color,
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/LmCFf7/arctic-p12-pst-563-cfm-120-mm-fans-5-pack-acfan00137a
can maybe use a magic marker to black the screws out or spray them with some black paint.

Did he?
Would the standard screws make a difference? As for the colour I don't really mind. I'm willing to get a not so atheistically pleasing rig as long as it works lmao

Itz_TryFX

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
You can't know that now.

You will need to experiment.

Where are the mounts? The case has 6 sides.

Don't worry about it now.

Prioritize your concerns.

You may end up blocking off some of the unused mounts. Or just leave them open. All to be decided later after you have it up and running.....by experimentation.

All of your fan fiddling may not make a lot of difference......but you may be the type of person who will spend 50 hours fiddling with fans to move temps from 60 to 57. I don't know.

It says here there already is 2 fitted fans?