Question New Build - Random No Display. Other Issues

Jan 1, 2022
Hi everyone,

I built a PC recently and am hoping you can help me. Build details at the bottom. Of note, I am running an unactivated copy of Windows 10.

Randomly when turning it on I will see the MSI logo for the mobo and then the display turns black. The PC seems to be running but no display. My keyboard doesn't seem to be receiving a signal either. This occurs randomly and after restarting it gives me a message that the computer did not start properly. From there, it is usually fine. I have tried taking the battery out of the mobo, reseating the RAM, reseating the GPU, trying a different display port on the GPU for the monitor.

Other issues
  1. The Audio Service is not running. No audio and troubleshooting in the windows tool doesn't seem to work
  2. Cannot open device manager. I open the start menu, search it, and click it but nothing happens.
  3. When I try to open Steam, I receive the message "Steam registry path is currently not writable". Repairing does not work.
Thank you in advance!!

Build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 RGB 91.19 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory: ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: x2 HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: (Used) MSI GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB GAMING Z Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: MSI Optix 27" Class FHD IPS Gaming Monitor (Optix G273)

Reactions: SallySunny

Ralston18

Titan
After the next successful boot look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even information events that may have been captured just before or at the time of the problems.

Event Viewer can be used in the same manner but is not as user friendly.

Jan 1, 2022
After the next successful boot look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even information events that may have been captured just before or at the time of the problems.

Event Viewer can be used in the same manner but is not as user friendly.

Thank you! I am trying a fresh install of Windows for the other issues first and then I’ll see what happens. I wasn’t able to open settings for user privileges either.

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
What do you mean by the keyboard not getting a signal? I wasn't lighting up, bluetooth wasn't connecting, no keypresses going through? Bit vague.

Does your pc have a HDD LED on the front? When screen goes black and nothing responds next, is it still flashing/stuck on or off?

Jan 1, 2022
What do you mean by the keyboard not getting a signal? I wasn't lighting up, bluetooth wasn't connecting, no keypresses going through? Bit vague.

Does your pc have a HDD LED on the front? When screen goes black and nothing responds next, is it still flashing/stuck on or off?

Sorry for the vagueness! When there is no display, the keyboard does not light up as usual and nothing happens when I hit the keys. It is wired.

I don't know what an HDD LED is. I am using two SSDs. The mobo red LED does not light up when this occurs I don't think. It does light up after the PC goes to sleep and I wake it up and log back in though

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Sorry for the vagueness! When there is no display, the keyboard does not light up as usual and nothing happens when I hit the keys. It is wired.

I don't know what an HDD LED is. I am using two SSDs. The mobo red LED does not light up when this occurs I don't think. It does light up after the PC goes to sleep and I wake it up and log back in though

Thanks. An HDD led simply lights up when there is data going to or from a hard drive, it should work with a ssd also. It would help clarify if the pc is still working while the display was black.

Your motherboard is equipped with ez debug LED:
boot-no-display-5.jpg

You must try booting and tell is exactly which light is turning on/staying on/flashing from this part of your motherboard

Jan 1, 2022
Motherboard BIOS up to date?

I haven't made any updates to it. It seemed daunting and I read it could brick the PC. Is this something I should do?

Thanks. An HDD led simply lights up when there is data going to or from a hard drive, it should work with a ssd also. It would help clarify if the pc is still working while the display was black.

Your motherboard is equipped with ez debug LED:
boot-no-display-5.jpg

You must try booting and tell is exactly which light is turning on/staying on/flashing from this part of your motherboard

On a normal boot, the CPU lights up for a moment, followed by the DRAM for a moment, then the CPU light again for a moment, then VGA for slightly longer. None remain lit up. After the PC goes to sleep and I wake it up, the CPU light stays on and does not go away until I restart the computer.

I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 and updated my GPU drivers and starting to do mobo drivers now. Seems ok at the moment. CPU light still goes on after waking it up from sleep mode.

Next time I have the display issue I'll make note of the LEDs

Last edited:

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Hmm ok. Is it only after the pc sleeps the monitor goes black? Randomly?

Have you changed any of the BIOS sleep state settings? (S1 S2...4) I'm not sure every single one is compatible with every cpu.

Things to take note if the issue is CPU related;
If it has happened ever since the pc was made, and not a recent thing like your first post suggests, I have to ask if you seated the CPU cooler properly and remembered to apply paste?
Also, the cpu/board pins are VERY delicate, you did not squash it in or force in any way?

Finally, have you just instantly begun restarting the pc when the screen goes black? Have you tried giving it 5-10 min to see if it fixes itself? If the cpu is hanging somewhere, it might help to let it do its thing, it might even help point out the problem if the PC has a record of it taking so long on that specific thing in the event viewer.

Jan 1, 2022
Hmm ok. Is it only after the pc sleeps the monitor goes black? Randomly?

Have you changed any of the BIOS sleep state settings? (S1 S2...4) I'm not sure every single one is compatible with every cpu.

Things to take note if the issue is CPU related;
If it has happened ever since the pc was made, and not a recent thing like your first post suggests, I have to ask if you seated the CPU cooler properly and remembered to apply paste?
Also, the cpu/board pins are VERY delicate, you did not squash it in or force in any way?

Finally, have you just instantly begun restarting the pc when the screen goes black? Have you tried giving it 5-10 min to see if it fixes itself? If the cpu is hanging somewhere, it might help to let it do its thing, it might even help point out the problem if the PC has a record of it taking so long on that specific thing in the event viewer.

The random black monitor occurs during initial boot up. I bought a new display cable, so I will try swapping that out next time it occurs.

I haven't changed any of the bios, was hoping it was something simple first. Should I do this?

This has happened since I built the PC. My CPU temps hover around 28 during regular internet browsing and 40/50 when gaming. I did apply paste. Of note, the initial cooler I received from NZXT was not functioning properly and the first few boot ups the CPU temp reached 70 degrees a few times (according to BIOS) before I shut it down. As far as CPU installation, I made sure it was seated properly and the arrows lined up. It took some force when I used the little metal lever to close the bracket thing it over it, but anything I'd say was abnormal. I looked at it afterwards and saw no visible damage either.

Next time I have the display issue, I'll give it some time. The most I've given it was just a few minutes. Thats a good idea, I'll try that next time! Thank you

Jan 1, 2022
Display no signal again when I started the PC today. I waited about 15 minutes with no results. This time both the mouse and keyboard remained lit up. I hit Shift several times to see if I could get the beeps associated with sticky keys, and I did indeed hear a beep. I also swapped out the display cable with no success. I forced the PC to shut down via the button on the tower and then I started it up again. No problem booting up. When I checked the reliability history it only showed errors from forcing the PC to shut down.

Next time I will try using an HDMI cable in the event that the port on the monitor for the display cable is faulty. I guess next if that doesn't work I will connect the HDMI cable to the mobo to rule out a bad GPU?

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Yeah, if your display is off but like you said you can still activate sticky keys (nice idea btw) then input is fine. Main suspects are cable and video card right now.

The pc cannot transfer display to igpu partway through something, so if there's an error it will either stop or instantly crash.

I'd try the motherboard hdmi asap

Jan 1, 2022
Yeah, if your display is off but like you said you can still activate sticky keys (nice idea btw) then input is fine. Main suspects are cable and video card right now.

The pc cannot transfer display to igpu partway through something, so if there's an error it will either stop or instantly crash.

I'd try the motherboard hdmi asap

So next step, I should plug HDMI to mobo and wait until I have another display issue?

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
All I'm trying to do is get your monitor to display something, then we're on the right track.
You have no display, and your CPU error light stays on, if igpu gets a display it will point to GPU or pcie

Jan 1, 2022
All I'm trying to do is get your monitor to display something, then we're on the right track.
You have no display, and your CPU error light stays on, if igpu gets a display it will point to GPU or pcie

Gotcha. I have no issues with the monitor at the moment. Its just random on boot up and when I restart it is fine.

The CPU error light is only after I wake the PC up after it goes to sleep. No other issues accompany that.

Jan 1, 2022
Alright, thought I'd update the thread. I did not change the display to connect to the mobo. It is still connected to the GPU, though I have had no issues since the time I mentioned it on Jan 3rd.

Jan 1, 2022
Update on 19 MAR. PC has been working fine. Runs Elden Ring and Halo Infinite great. Randomly had the same issue today. Restarting did not do anything. After a third restart I was brought to the blue screen saying something was wrong. It gives a Restart option or Advanced Options. Restart brought me back to a black screen. Advanced Options then Continue to Windows option brought me to black screen. Advanced Options then TroubleShoot brought me to a black screen.

I then did the following:
-Reseated ram - No change
-Moved display cable from GPU to mobo - No Change. Though the MIS Mag logo freezes this time instead of going black
-Reseated boot drive - No change
-Moved cable back to GPU and it magically works

Interestingly, Discord is now corrupt so I had to reinstall.