[SOLVED] New build system stability issue

Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone!

I recently built a budget pc(I’ll list everything below), and everything went smoothly until I tried to install the Os (Windows 10) I had a number of issues firstly trying to install it on the SSD. To cut a long story short I realising i hadn't flashed the BIOS so tried that and it worked fine. after it had installed W10 i kept getting lots of BSOD.. memory management, kernel security check failure, DPC watchdog violation, system thread exemption not handled and a couple others I can’t remember. The computer could run overnight download loads of programs stream movies fine no issues but then have random intervals of BSOD especially on a cold boot.
I’ve tried the followingtry and resolve the issue but no luck so far

Updating Bios, updating all drivers GPU included, reinstalling windows, reinstalling windows on a different External HDD, Running memory diagnostics (no issues) unplugging all cables. trying each Ram stick individually, Installing Os on Hard drive, there are a few other things I have tried but it’s been a long few days!

Corsair 175R
Ryzen 3 1200
Wraith Stealth cooler
AsusStix B450-F Gaming
MSI NVIDIA GT 730 GPU
Corsair vengeance 2x4GB DDR4 2400MHz (black)
PNY CS900 120GB SSD
WD Blue 1TB Hard drive
Corsair VS650 Ps

hopefully I’m just being an idiot and it’s a simple fix but can anyone help?

Last edited:
Solution
Doubt that you are being an idiot: There are many factors and variables involved. Quite a number are out of your control in some ways. And all the more so with a new build because there is always the possibility of a defective component(s).

A fix may or may not be simple. However there are things you can do to methodically address the problems.

First:

Take a look in the logs. Reliability History is a good start. You may find any number of error codes, warnings, or even informational events that correspond with the BSOD's or other problems. (Event Viewer will also provide similar information but it is not as user friendly.) Google the errors but do not immediately react to what may appear as a solution. Verify both the...

Ralston18

Titan
Doubt that you are being an idiot: There are many factors and variables involved. Quite a number are out of your control in some ways. And all the more so with a new build because there is always the possibility of a defective component(s).

A fix may or may not be simple. However there are things you can do to methodically address the problems.

First:

Take a look in the logs. Reliability History is a good start. You may find any number of error codes, warnings, or even informational events that correspond with the BSOD's or other problems. (Event Viewer will also provide similar information but it is not as user friendly.) Google the errors but do not immediately react to what may appear as a solution. Verify both the problem and a potential "fix". No Registry editing - avoid.

Second:

Likewise, avoid mass downloads. When there are multiple downloads and updates it can be very difficult to identify any particular download that was buggy or perhaps corrupted. Do installs one product at a time and spread out the downloads.

Skip any third party tools, utilities, etc.. Key is to ensure that Windows 10 itself - along with its' incoming updates will remain functional and free of problems. Continually check/test that the system is still stable and will, hopefully, remain stable before another install.

Install up-to-date drivers via the applicable manufacturer's website(s). Download, manually install, and reconfigure.

Third:

With a new build it is sometimes difficult to get all the cables, components, RAM, etc. fully and firmly in place. You do not want to force anything but what feels or even appears to be connected may not be connected.

Power down, unplug, inspect, and reseat all components. Refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to verify connections and configurations.

Reboot with just the boot drive. Determine if the problems cease or lessen. Then add in the 1 TB HDD.

Make changes only one at a time. Keep notes on what you do - you may need to go back for a do-over if something goes astray.

Solution