[SOLVED] New build turned on, but won't again. Please advise.

Apr 7, 2020
Second build ever.

Mobo: AsRock A320M-HDV R4.0
CPU (APU): AMD Athlon 3000G w/ stock cooler
RAM: Crucial 1x8gb 2666MHz DDR4
PSU: EVGA 500 BR
SSD: Ace A55 SATA 256GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200rpm
Case: Cooler Master E300L
Monitor: Asus VZ229HE

After building, computer wouldn't power on (no fans spinning, nothing). Discovered that front panel connectors were plugged into the COM1 header rather than the panel. After fixing that, all fans spun and motherboard made noises but monitor read "out of range".

Powered off computer and stood computer upright to test with another monitor. Wouldn't power on again (no fans spinning).

Went through guides including the one pinned on this forum. Reseated all components, read mobo manual, tried different wall sockets/power cables (but power was being supplied to the system), reset CMOS, etc. I did notice one standoff was touching the bottom of the motherboard, but fixing that didn't help.

---

I am certain that the bios on the motherboard is compatible with the CPU because I checked AsRock's website.

Since the system powered on once, I know the PSU, Mobo, and RAM were working well at that point. The CPU didn't work with the monitor, which I found odd. Could the CPU be faulty/DOA?

I could have damaged the motherboard since it powered on, but I have been careful. Why could power now not be supplied to the system when it had been previously?

What should I do next to get the system up and running? Any advice would be very appreciated.

Solution
The 2 things that have happened to me with stuff like this
is bios, or the cooler.

Having the pc powered on once but then wont boot again might mean the pc turned on, then overheated so much it needed some time. meaning the cooler isn't on right, which shouldn't damage anything, but its bad.

but another thing could be that the boards bios is not updated. even in asrocks page, you can see that the 3000g is supported, but no on all bios revisions. "P3.30" is the first. so your board might not be updated, which is often the case if your board was manufactured before the release of 3rd gen amd cpus. (this is a common problem. ask the place you bought the board from to upgrade the bios for you.)
is bios, or the cooler.

Having the pc powered on once but then wont boot again might mean the pc turned on, then overheated so much it needed some time. meaning the cooler isn't on right, which shouldn't damage anything, but its bad.

but another thing could be that the boards bios is not updated. even in asrocks page, you can see that the 3000g is supported, but no on all bios revisions. "P3.30" is the first. so your board might not be updated, which is often the case if your board was manufactured before the release of 3rd gen amd cpus. (this is a common problem. ask the place you bought the board from to upgrade the bios for you.)

Solution
Apr 7, 2020
is bios, or the cooler.

Thank you for your reply! The board came with a sticker that said "P3.30" so I know that's not the issue.

The fans spun during an attempt to turn the system on yesterday, and I let it sit overnight before I tried to turn it on again, so I think the CPU has had plenty of time to cool.

Thank you for your reply! The board came with a sticker that said "P3.30" so I know that's not the issue.

The fans spun during an attempt to turn the system on yesterday, and I let it sit overnight before I tried to turn it on again, so I think the CPU has had plenty of time to cool.
that to me really sounds like a bios problem but, lets go with the cpu cooler one.

take the cooler off, and look at the thermal paste. is it spread out on all, or atleast most of the IHS?
(ihs is the top of the chip)
if its not, thats your problem.
also dont worry about taking it off and putting it back on, the thermal paste as long as you dont touch it and remove some should be fine to "reuse"

Apr 7, 2020
that to me really sounds like a bios problem but, lets go with the cpu cooler one.

take the cooler off, and look at the thermal paste. is it spread out on all, or atleast most of the IHS?
(ihs is the top of the chip)
if its not, thats your problem.
also dont worry about taking it off and putting it back on, the thermal paste as long as you dont touch it and remove some should be fine to "reuse"

It seems to me like the thermal paste is spread out on most of the chip. About 4mm of space on one side is left uncovered on the 30mm wide IHS, with about 1-2mm of space on two other sides.

To clarify, directly on the chip on the motherboard labeled "BIOS" there is a small white sticker that reads P3.30. Do you think there could be a BIOS-related issue not having to do with the BIOS version?

It seems to me like the thermal paste is spread out on most of the chip. About 4mm of space on one side is left uncovered on the 30mm wide IHS, with about 1-2mm of space on two other sides.

To clarify, directly on the chip on the motherboard labeled "BIOS" there is a small white sticker that reads P3.30. Do you think there could be a BIOS-related issue not having to do with the BIOS version?
that means the cooler is on correctly, thats good.

i dont think it can be the bios, unless the revision isnt correct.

those 2 things are the issues ive had in the past i guess with similar symptoms

Apr 7, 2020
that means the cooler is on correctly, thats good.

i dont think it can be the bios, unless the revision isnt correct.

those 2 things are the issues ive had in the past i guess with similar symptoms

Thanks for your help. I can try the components with another known compatible motherboard when I am able to do so.