New Build Wont Boot. No lights, fans, or sounds

prestonhymas

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018
Hello all, first time builder here. I recently decided to upgrade my system with the following:

Ryzen 5 2600x w/ Wraith Spire Cooler
Gagabyte Aorus GTX 1070 ti
MSI x470 Gaming Plus Motherboard
2x8 GB DDR4 RAM

I put everything together along with the SSDs and PSU of my old computer (Corsair CX500). Turned it on and the PSU crapped out. I heard it pop, and immediately pulled the plug on the system. It smells like burning plastic, so safe to say it's a goner. It's old and was full of dust I didn't notice, so I believe me flipping it around to put in the new case just dislodged some dust in the back and killed it.

I ordered a new EVGA 750 GQ, and it finally got here today, but nothing happens when I try to turn the system on. Right now I have the 1070 ti, PSU, and SSDs working with my old mobo and CPU, so they're definitely all fine. But I'm worried the CX500 took out the MSI motherboard when it failed. Maybe the CPU as well, but I dont have another AM4 mobo to test with. I dont see any visible damage, but the fans turned on briefly on the first boot with the CX500 (until the pop) so something is definitely wrong. Any ideas? I've tried re-hooking everything about 10 times to no avail.

You right about fearing that the PSU may have damaged the motherboard.
You could try this to see if the motherboard comes back to life:
Unplug power cord from PSU.
Remove all power connections from motherboard (24-pin ATX, 8-pin & 4-pin CPU power).
Press the power button for 20 seconds then remove the CMOS battery.
Leave the battery out 20 minutes
Place the CMOS battery back, connect the 24-pin ATX, 8-pin & 4-pin CPU power plugs, connect the power cord and try to power on.

prestonhymas

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018

No luck. I even went out and bought a new battery to see if that one would work. Still no sign of life. Idk what else to try at this point

Even if the CMOS battery was dead it won't cause that issue...you will get a message that it needs to be replaced.

Make sure you have placed the PC case standoffs correctly, matching the motherboards holes.
I will try to test the motherboard out of the PC case and if it does not work then it might need to be replaced.

prestonhymas

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018

I've checked the stand offs a million times. I sent the mobo back for a replacement, which came today. Same problem. I just dont understand. If the CPU was bad what would the mobo do? I'm not getting any error beeps, and I dont see lights on the mobo, but idk if it even has lights or the ability to make sound in the first place so that's not entirely helpful. This is just so frustrating. I've been trying to build this piece of crap for 19 days.