Question New build won't boot to windows

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 22, 2021
Thanks everyone, the one drive at a time approach worked. I installed windows onto the blank ssd and now 2 of my other drives are connected and I'll be moving my files around and formatting those after I've backed up the data. The only issue I'm having now is of my 2 m.2 drives they only work in the middle slot. The one I have in the bottom slot won't read. This is the case with either of my 2 m.2 drives they'll only work in the middle but I would like to be able to use both. Any suggestions?

--SID--

Upstanding
Jan 23, 2021
If you use a 10thGen processor, and try a pcie4.0 nvme, it'll only function as pcie3.0 as that's the limit of the cpu lanes.
You're right pci-e is backwards compatible but top slot is unavailable with 10th gen cpu. Top slot only get pci-e lanes from the cpu. 10th gen don't have enough cpu lanes for pci-estorage. All pci-e lanes for storage with 10th gen cpu comes from the chipset and that's why only 2nd en 3rd M2 slot is available with 10th gen cpu.

Apr 22, 2021
The other m.2 I'm using is an 850 evolution 1tb m.2. I understand I can't use the top slot but it's not working on the bottom slot either.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
10th gen don't have enough cpu lanes for pci-estorage. All pci-e lanes for storage with 10th gen cpu comes from the chipset
Not quite sure that's correct, if you look at Any prior generation that has nvme compatibility all the way back to Z68's, they all use cpu lanes as well as chipset lanes.

11th gen has 20 pcie4.0 cpu lanes and 24 pcie3.0 chipset lanes, 10th Gen has 16 pcie3.0 cpu lanes and 24 pcie3.0 chipset lanes. There's plenty to go around for both pcie x16 dedicated gpu slot and pcie storage or not a single motherboard could use any cpu lanes at all for storage. And yet they do.

Apr 22, 2021
Not quite sure that's correct, if you look at Any prior generation that has nvme compatibility all the way back to Z68's, they all use cpu lanes as well as chipset lanes.

11th gen has 20 pcie4.0 cpu lanes and 24 pcie3.0 chipset lanes, 10th Gen has 16 pcie3.0 cpu lanes and 24 pcie3.0 chipset lanes. There's plenty to go around for both pcie x16 dedicated gpu slot and pcie storage or not a single motherboard could use any cpu lanes at all for storage. And yet they do.
Yeah ill look at the manual a bit later but as previously stated all these drives came over from my previous build which had a gigabyte ga z270x gaming 7 motherboard and worked fine.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS