[SOLVED] New builder here. What PSU do I need? +interesting theoretical questions.

Feb 15, 2019
Hello all,
So I bought a x470 gaming pro mobo and a ryzen 2700x and a Radeon 460 4gb
My main concern here is getting a psu that provides me with an 8 pin cpu connecter, as well as a four pin. I want to be able to boot without PSU cord modification...

As a side note, i have a 430watt dell power supply that has one 4 pin connector for cpu... I think its for cpu.... And two 4 pin graphics card connectors.... Could I plug in the 4 pin cpu connector to my graphics card and then plug the two graphics card connectors into the pw2 slot and pw1 slot to power my 2700x until the new PSU comes???

Solution
Are you going to always use a lower end GPU like the 460 or are building the system up for higher end? I wouldn't use the Dell for any reason. If staying lower end, then a 450W unit would be OK. For higher, would go 650W.

Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, EVGA G2/3, or Corsair TXM/RMx are really solid. You should never cheap out on a PSU but if you need to go lower, then a 2017 or newer Corsair CXM would be OK as long as you aren't getting a super power hungry GPU.

FWIW, $90 for the most important component in your PC isn't asking too much. A bad PSU can take multiple components with it or start a fire when it fails.
Are you going to always use a lower end GPU like the 460 or are building the system up for higher end? I wouldn't use the Dell for any reason. If staying lower end, then a 450W unit would be OK. For higher, would go 650W.

Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, EVGA G2/3, or Corsair TXM/RMx are really solid. You should never cheap out on a PSU but if you need to go lower, then a 2017 or newer Corsair CXM would be OK as long as you aren't getting a super power hungry GPU.

FWIW, $90 for the most important component in your PC isn't asking too much. A bad PSU can take multiple components with it or start a fire when it fails.

Solution

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Last edited by a moderator: