Nov 14, 2022
I got a new GPU in the mail today and after installing it, my computer flashes its fan lights briefly, clicks, but will not start. I reinstalled the previous cards and it runs without issue. Is there a way to troubleshoot the card if is DOA? I've built several PCs from scratch over the past 15 years and made many upgrades to the ones that I have. I mostly use my build for gaming and recently hit a wall regarding the new Vulkan API as it is required for certain new games. I get along fairly well with newer games otherwise, but my current GPUs do not support drivers compatible to run Vulkan. I looked around for some inexpensive GPUs and found one that thought might work. Does anyone see any glaring incompatibility issues with the new card and my old system or what else might be happening? Thank you much.

Current PC components:

MSI 990FXA-GD80 AM3+ AMD 990FX
AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Desktop Processor
CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 1200W ATX12V Modular Active PFC Power Supply
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory
MSI Radeon HD 6970 Lightning 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card (running 2 in Crossfire)
Installed 1x optical drive, 1x SSD, 2x HDD, air cooling only

Newly purchased replacement GPU:

GIGABYTE Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video Card

PS: My wife has a nearly identical rig, but runs two MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card in Crossfire. (I figured her PCI express 3.0 cards would mean a new PCI express 3.0 card would also run OK for me)

PPS: All four GPUs that run my PC and my wife's PC have multiple PCI power connectors. my Radeon HD 6970s have two 8-pin connectors each and my wife's Radeon R9 270Xs have two 6-pin connections each. The new Radeon RX 480 has a single 8-pin connection. I used one of the working installed 8-pin connectors for the new card when removing my old cards so the power from the PSU is not the issue.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Is there a way to troubleshoot the card if is DOA?

Put the RX 480 into 2nd system and if it behaves same as in 1st system, then it's safe to assume the GPU is toast.

Regarding DOA, one of the two reasons why new hardware comes with warranty is this. Since if hardware never dies or isn't DOA, there would be no need for warranty what-so-ever.

So, RMA your new GPU.