New Charges Brought Against Sarah Palin's Hacker

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Throw the book at him. I don't care who you voted for - you should be outraged when someone tries to disrupt the political process by sabotaging candidates.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
If he were smart about the whole thing, he should have kept quiet about it and sold the information to one of Obama's goons. He is after all a Chicago politician right? (I can say that I'm from Illinois) :)

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]argyle1[/nom]Throw the book at him. I don't care who you voted for - you should be outraged when someone tries to disrupt the political process by sabotaging candidates.[/citation]

How about if someone disrupt your life? Thousands of people get hacked their credit destroyed and the police say that they can not do anything about it. But If you are big cheese from Washington and have ‘free’ prosecutor on staff, the whole system jumps.
This case is the biggest BS ever.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
If it wasn't for this illegal hacking i don't think Obama would of won. This is a travesty! That little boy needs to get the chair.

LMAO...

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]SAL-e[/nom]How about if someone disrupt your life? Thousands of people get hacked their credit destroyed and the police say that they can not do anything about it. But If you are big cheese from Washington and have ‘free’ prosecutor on staff, the whole system jumps. This case is the biggest BS ever.[/citation]
Politic hijacking aside for the moment…

I think you have a valid point, I often complain about this type of thing. To get any justice you need to be in the public eye…

Everyday people get hacked, identities stolen, murdered, raped…far worse then what happened to Palin, but we only hear about these incidents in the form of statistics.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I don't believe this could be considered a form of hacking as the kid just researched to answer the secret question. However I recall a ruling that gave the same privacy laws when it came to emails in the same manner to physical mail. so him even opening the mail would be a crime and each email he opened would be a additional charge.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]I don't believe this could be considered a form of hacking as the kid just researched to answer the secret question. However I recall a ruling that gave the same privacy laws when it came to emails in the same manner to physical mail. so him even opening the mail would be a crime and each email he opened would be a additional charge.[/citation]
Yes, but I dont see them being able to legitamently prove that he opened more than what ever email he posted information from. Do they have proof that he opened 3 emails?

[citation][nom]SAL-e[/nom]How about if someone disrupt your life? Thousands of people get hacked their credit destroyed and the police say that they can not do anything about it. But If you are big cheese from Washington and have ‘free’ prosecutor on staff, the whole system jumps. This case is the biggest BS ever.[/citation]

Having been in Law Enforcement before, I can tell you local police departments don't generally have the equipment, expertise, or resources to investigate and prosecute this type of crime.

Internet related crimes, credit fraud, theft of identity, and related crimes are a HUGE burden on local police agencies. The truth is, most of the point in reporting such crimes is to get the official documentation you need in order for the credit agencies or the insurance agencies to take care of the problem for you.

Law Enforcement have their hands full with this stuff, and don't have the needed resources to take care of it. At the federal level, they do have the abilities to do it, but not enough personnel to investigate the MILLIONS of crimes reported along these lines.

That's where the fundamental change has to be made. Better training, equipping, and resourcing to local law enforcement agencies.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]curnel_d[/nom]Yes, but I dont see them being able to legitamently prove that he opened more than what ever email he posted information from. Do they have proof that he opened 3 emails?[/citation]

I don't know if they will be able to do such unless there is evidence on his harddrive. If anyone knows of any other method that can be used to find out what emails he accessed I would love to hear it. Though I think its safe to assume that he more than likely read most if not all the emails Palin got. But thankfully we don't let assumptions determine charges and verdicts in court.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
[citation][nom]hellscook[/nom]I'm more outraged that Palin was conducting OFFICIAL business on a yahoo e-mail account. That is ILLEGAL as well![/citation]
The emails that I saw wasn't her conducting official business. One of them was her speaking with another politician; but it was a private (or so she thought) conversation. Politicians are allowed to have private conversations with other politicians.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Sarah Palin backs FISA and the Patriot Act. I guess it is cool for my emails to be read and scanned and my privacy to be violated in the name of national security but oh no not hers.

Dissent if you ask me. She, and everyone who backs the above legislation, deserves the same. Won't get any sympathy from me.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Oh and this isn't exactly "hacking." Palin is so unintelligent that she used widely available information as her Answers to the password recovery questions from Yahoo. Anyone with access to a computer and google.com could have broken into her account by simply searching for the questions the password recovery prompt asked you to.

G

Technically, it is hacking, and hijacking. In a sense, the kid did a dictionary attack, with a highly specific dictionary. He gained access to an account that he was not authorized access to, which is hacking. Then, he changed the password, which wouldn't be very hard to pin that to hijacking. So, that is how you get the Fraud, when he pretended to be Sarah. Obstruction of Justice is fairly general, and I am not sure how they are using it in this case. I think the kid fully deserves it. They have to make a statement out of the kid. Showing that they do not stand up to that. More people heard about this, than your average computer fraud or identity theft case.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]stevesterx[/nom]So, that is how you get the Fraud, when he pretended to be Sarah.[/citation]
So if I sit down at a computer and someone forgets to log out of their account, am I committing fraud?

He didn't send any e-mails from that account (although that would have been hilarious).

[citation][nom]stevesterx[/nom]I think the kid fully deserves it. They have to make a statement out of the kid. Showing that they do not stand up to that. More people heard about this, than your average computer fraud or identity theft case.[/citation]
I think we shouldn't give Palin any special treatment. Sending this kid away isn't going to stop anyone from doing this again. What we need to do is make an example of Sarah Palin, we can't stop hackers with threats of jail time if they're caught, she stupidly made an account unsecure.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
To all the "it's not a hack" people, if you find a car with the doors unlocked, and the keys in it, does that mean it's not stealing to drive it away?

Do not take things that are not yours, knuckleheads. That includes e-mail.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Only the government and it's goons are allowed to hack your mail.

As for the "competence" of the VP candidate... no further comments.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Oh and this isn't exactly "hacking." Palin is so unintelligent that she used widely available information as her Answers to the password recovery questions from Yahoo. Anyone with access to a computer and google.com could have broken into her account by simply searching for the questions the password recovery prompt asked you to.[/citation]
I agree, this is just plain dumb! And you can't fix dumb!

I myself use a couple random words which only I know… it doesn’t matter what the secret question is, the answer is always “random123” or "unknown321"

People are just so naïve.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]I agree, this is just plain dumb! And you can't fix dumb!I myself use a couple random words which only I know… it doesn’t matter what the secret question is, the answer is always “random123” or "unknown321"People are just so naïve.[/citation]
Wonder how many people are trying to reset your password right now; "why doesn't random123 work!?!" lol jk jk, thats a great idea tho, its like a second failsafe password.

Status
Not open for further replies.