[SOLVED] New components, games running lower framerates

Callum_28

Reputable
Sep 18, 2016
hello, I just installed a new motherboard, CPU and RAM to my system

i also have a fresh install of windows and a clean new HDD

the only thing i have installed is the new COD and it seems to be running around 30-40 fps worse

i7 4700k to an i7 9700k
16 GB hyper x fury ( just got the same sticks )
GTX 1070

I have done all of the windows 10 optimisations for gaming etc

enabled the extreme mem profile in the bios

i have no idea why i would loose this many frames if any at all

Solution

Hi, well firstly that result looks normal- a little on the low side but typical of a stock clocked 9700K + 1070 based on other results. That setup can score as high as 7000 ish but requires overclocking...

That said the system info does highlight a couple of problems... firstly you are running all that on a H310 motherboard? That's a pretty low end board to be running a 9700K- note that due to the chipset you won't be able to overclock the 9700K even though it's unlocked as that chipset doesn't support overclocking. Also the VRM on that board doesn't look great, so might be causing the 9700K to throttle when gaming which may be holding the game back.

The ram you are using is...
hello, I just installed a new motherboard, CPU and RAM to my system

i also have a fresh install of windows and a clean new HDD

the only thing i have installed is the new COD and it seems to be running around 30-40 fps worse

i7 4700k to an i7 9700k
16 GB hyper x fury ( just got the same sticks )
GTX 1070

I have done all of the windows 10 optimisations for gaming etc

enabled the extreme mem profile in the bios

i have no idea why i would loose this many frames if any at all

What cooler are you running on the CPU, what temps is it at?

Also have you checked device manager to ensure everything has been installed correctly- for example did you download and install the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard of just go with the ones Windows 10 auto installs (these are usually pretty old and might cause slow downs).

Final thought is I've heard mixed things about COD performance, I think the game can be buggy, I suggest trying your system with a standard test tool (e.g. latest 3D Mark- all you need is the free 'demo' version from Steam)? If you get a similar score to other systems then that points to an issue with COD rather than your system itself...

Callum_28

Reputable
Sep 18, 2016
What cooler are you running on the CPU, what temps is it at?

Also have you checked device manager to ensure everything has been installed correctly- for example did you download and install the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard of just go with the ones Windows 10 auto installs (these are usually pretty old and might cause slow downs).

Final thought is I've heard mixed things about COD performance, I think the game can be buggy, I suggest trying your system with a standard test tool (e.g. latest 3D Mark- all you need is the free 'demo' version from Steam)? If you get a similar score to other systems then that points to an issue with COD rather than your system itself...

here , https://www.3dmark.com/spy/9086901

Hi, well firstly that result looks normal- a little on the low side but typical of a stock clocked 9700K + 1070 based on other results. That setup can score as high as 7000 ish but requires overclocking...

That said the system info does highlight a couple of problems... firstly you are running all that on a H310 motherboard? That's a pretty low end board to be running a 9700K- note that due to the chipset you won't be able to overclock the 9700K even though it's unlocked as that chipset doesn't support overclocking. Also the VRM on that board doesn't look great, so might be causing the 9700K to throttle when gaming which may be holding the game back.

The ram you are using is also fairly slow but at least it's in dual channel and probably wouldn't hold fps back by much. Probably the biggest issue I can see there is your hard disk.... whilst it's large (4tb), after a little digging it appears to be a drive intended for storing CCTV data and it's really slow (5400 rpm). That shouldn't hold the average fps down too much but it will mean you get very long load times and you are likely to get stuttering / frame freezes on games with large maps as the game waits for data to be loaded from the disk. It would be a good idea to look at investing in a SSD (a sata one would be fine) to run Windows and your games from, then use the large 4tb drive for storage.

I'm still not sure that explains why COD is running so slowly, you probably need to keep an eye on what your system is doing when running the game... I reccomend HWMonitor (link: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html ) - get the free version, and leave it running whilst you play the game. If you have a second screen you can leave it up whilst your playing (or if it's on in the background it keeps max readings and you can alt tab to look at it). It would be interesting to see what speed your cpu is running at whilst playing the game, I think it might be throttling down to base clocks, which would potentially make it slower than your original cpu.

Edit: Here is a video showing what a 1070 can do in COD MW at 1080p max settings:
View: https://youtu.be/exaTVfmEEwU

Average frame rate once in the game is ~ 75 fps. Note that is running with a Ryzen 5 3600- which is typically a little slower than the 9700k so really your machine should be at least matching that.

Solution

Callum_28

Reputable
Sep 18, 2016

The ram you are using is also fairly slow but at least it's in dual channel and probably wouldn't hold fps back by much. Probably the biggest issue I can see there is your hard disk.... whilst it's large (4tb), after a little digging it appears to be a drive intended for storing CCTV data and it's really slow (5400 rpm). That shouldn't hold the average fps down too much but it will mean you get very long load times and you are likely to get stuttering / frame freezes on games with large maps as the game waits for data to be loaded from the disk. It would be a good idea to look at investing in a SSD (a sata one would be fine) to run Windows and your games from, then use the large 4tb drive for storage.

I'm still not sure that explains why COD is running so slowly, you probably need to keep an eye on what your system is doing when running the game... I reccomend HWMonitor (link: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html ) - get the free version, and leave it running whilst you play the game. If you have a second screen you can leave it up whilst your playing (or if it's on in the background it keeps max readings and you can alt tab to look at it). It would be interesting to see what speed your cpu is running at whilst playing the game, I think it might be throttling down to base clocks, which would potentially make it slower than your original cpu.

Edit: Here is a video showing what a 1070 can do in COD MW at 1080p max settings:
View: https://youtu.be/exaTVfmEEwU

Average frame rate once in the game is ~ 75 fps. Note that is running with a Ryzen 5 3600- which is typically a little slower than the 9700k so really your machine should be at least matching that.

thank you this was exactly what i needed

i will deal with this for the time being and upgrade my motherboard and get a new HDD within the next month or so

ill also check for bottle necking

Reactions: cdrkf