Build Advice New Computer build

Paul Oberman

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2014
I have a music venue and I need a single computer that can deal with the different requirements.

What I am considering is a Dual Xeon server, which I will run three virtual machines.

One machine will run our lighting board (will need touchscreen)

The next will be set up for video streaming and will need to run this video card

Last will be a general machine for pandora and misc.

I am considering something like this:
SERVER

Would love some advise, if i am heading down the right road

thx.

Paul Oberman

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2014
I am also considering building a dual xeon system from scratch.

I just was trying to figure out if that made sense, given these used servers.

I am also trying to figure out if the dual xeon configuration makes sense. Perhaps a single xeon with more cores.

Let me know your thoughts

g-unit1111

Titan
I am also considering building a dual xeon system from scratch.

I just was trying to figure out if that made sense, given these used servers.

I am also trying to figure out if the dual xeon configuration makes sense. Perhaps a single xeon with more cores.

Let me know your thoughts

Dual CPU motherboards aren't a thing anymore unless you've got deep pockets. And even then it isn't worth pursuing because of the cooling and power requirements to run a system like that. Right now if you can afford it, the better option is that there's many cases like the Corsair 500D that have the option to run two complete systems in sync with each other.

Paul Oberman

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2014
Dual CPU motherboards aren't a thing anymore unless you've got deep pockets. And even then it isn't worth pursuing because of the cooling and power requirements to run a system like that. Right now if you can afford it, the better option is that there's many cases like the Corsair 500D that have the option to run two complete systems in sync with each other.

So, even a second hand server unit, with lower clock and cores to spare, is more work than it's worth?

Going with your suggestion, I was thinking of a couple of units built on this, given the good review.... then I could push the boat out on a couple of decent high core/clock xeons.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of2MgaQs67A

g-unit1111

Titan
So, even a second hand server unit, with lower clock and cores to spare, is more work than it's worth?

Well if you go that route you would need a full liquid loop CPU cooler, there's no air cooling or AIO solutions that would work with the proposed rig. And any Xeon CPU that you buy, Intel will not include an air cooler with the CPU, so you would need to supply your own. That's what I am getting at with that point.

You could push the CPUs to the limit with that, but you would also have to have overclocked Xeon CPUs and boards with the proposed rig.

Paul Oberman

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2014