DeegansTroop

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Hey everyone thanks for taking the time to check out my post. I have just finished building my second computer and I'm having some trouble with games.

System Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (not overclocked)
CPU Cooler: Ultra Chil-tek thermal-electric cooler
Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Memory: Corsair i7 Dominator 6 x 2048mb DDR3 PC12800
Video Cards: Two EVGA GTX285 F.T.W. edition in SLI with standard ASUS bridge
Power Supply: Ultra X3 1600w power supply (I have it running 1200w currently)
Case: Cooler-Master HAF932 w/ stock fan setup
Additional: NZXT Fan Controller, LG DVD-RW, Seagate SATA 1.5tb HDD, and I also have the 22" Viewsonic 120mhz 3d Monitor running at 1680x1050
My OS is Windows 7 64bit RC

I am confident everything is installed correctly and the computer seems to work fine with websites and documents. I updated the BIOS, Chipset, and graphics drivers. Installed an anti-virus, Nvidia 3d vision software, WINrar, and 2 games (crysis and assassins creed). The specific problem usually occurs whenever I try to let crysis check my system out and also occurs shortly after playing assassins creed. The computer will basically just power down instantly and then reboot itself. It seems strange to me that one occurs before I can get in game and the other happens while Im acually playing. I've taken out and reinstalled the video cards and double checked all the connections in the whole case. I've run Memtest86 with no errors and WINdiag (even though it only tests 4 gigs) also with no errors. CPU temp stays between 28-36°C. Video cards are between 50 and 65°C idle. Please let me know if you have any suggestions even things i might have already done. I've been trying on my own but I think I need some outside perspectives. Also if you have any recomendations for testing or diagnostic software that would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I can also get the computer to crash every time by going to Control Panel > All Control Pannel Items > Performance information and tools. And then clicking on " Rate this Computer" it brings up the progress bar and then shuts down.

Event Viewer gives me three event ids for the times it usually crashes: 1 is ID6008 Eventlog, 2 is ID41 Kernal power, and 3 is 7016 with Nvidia driver service

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
have you tried running prime 95 or anything else that will stress the system? You might also double check all your graphics settings...make sure sli is enabled, and make sure you have the resolution set for something your monitor supports, and that you are letting the app control the video settings. Try taking out one 6gb set of memory and set your memory timings manually...see if that makes any improvements.

DeegansTroop

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
prime95 doesn't work in windows7 nor did my motherboard disk, c'est la vie. Sli is enabled and all Nvidia control panel settings are correct, monitor is cool with 1680x1050 and app control is on. Thanks for the memory sugestion Ill give it a shot when I have it apart.

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
based on this info I would say you have a bad video card...take one card out and try it, if it does not work try the other card by itself. If one works without the other and you are sure all the sli settings are correct, you have a bad video card.