New Computer Question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

tim <delltech@hotmail.com> wrote:
> David,
> within 21 days of your invoice date you will be eligible for free
> Advanced/Support from Dell. If you have a network card in the old
> computer, you could buy a crossover cable and call Dell technical
> support and ask for advanced support if the technician cannot help
> you. Advance support can help you install/configure the network.

> Other options which you have are :

4) Remove the old hard drive and install it in the Dell.

a) Disconnect the old hard drive. Make note of which specific
connector it was installed. Put a Post-It on the connector
end or whatever.
b) With drive in hand, make note of the jumper locations on a
sheet of paper.
c) The old drive is all but guaranteed to be IDE. Find a free
IDE pigtail in the Dell. Jumper the old drive for Cable Select.
Gently lean the drive against the case.
Connect the IDE cable you found in the Dell. Add power
(4 pin white translucent cable).
d) Power on. Notice the new drive in Explorer. Copy away.
e) Reverse the process.

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
>
>>"NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>terrible answer, Ron. .
>>
>>Clueless.
>

> You have no idea who I am or what my skills and qualifications are. Be very
> careful.
>

>>>XP comes with a wizard to help you copy your data to a new machine.
>>
>>Yes it does and I showed how to find it.
>

> Show me where you mentioned the "file and settings transfer wizard",
> located under Programs>Accessories>SystemTools ? Well, You didnt. Your post
> does not mention a wizard of any kind, much less a place to locate such a
> thing.
>
> Saying "search help" for something that will help him connect 2 machines is
> hardly the process that I outlined above. But, as you so astutely missed, I
> did site using any of the other methods to connect 2 computers in the
> thread, your input included.
>

>>>You will
>>>need to re-install your apps on the new machine,
>>
>>That's what I already posted.
>

> I was specifically referring to datafiles generated by the OP's (that would
> be Original Poster's) applications that he wants to move, but also siting
> that the wizard would not move the program files for them. I believed it was
> important enough to re-iterate (that means to repeat), as a novice may be
> inclined to misunderstand. I added that as a precaution.
>

>>Can we say plagiarize.
>

> I suppose you would accuse me of plagiarizing on the grounds that we both
> used the word "the" in our posts ... To plagiarize, I would have had to post
> an overwhelming amount of your writing as my own, which anyone in this group
> will agree I did not. Funny how you failed to mention the data copy method
> of putting both drives in one machine. That's the first thing that I would
> think would come to mind, especially with such a seasoned professional such
> as yourself.
>
> Oh, I heard that there was a BIOS update, with undocumented enhancements,
> that would do this whole process for them if they pressed a hidden key
> combination while the system was booting. Do you think that the BIOS should
> be updated to address that?

This has to be the funniest post ive read for months. Thanks NuTCrAcKeR,
and keep up the good work.

David

"David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 06:10:18 GMT, david wrote in
>
> > Thanks again Dave for the quick response.
> > Unfortunate the Zip I have is built in so no help there.
> > I will have a CD burner on the new computer but none on the
> > old one. I did find out I had a Ethernet Port though and in you
> > first response I believe you ask if I had an Ethernet adapter and if
> > so I could attach a crossover cat-5 cable to each computer. Will
> > the Ethernet Port help?
>
> It should if the connector is an RJ-45 type. An RJ-45 connector is just
> like a phone line connector except larger to accommodate more pins.
>
> Also, if you do decide to network them together, make sure you get a
> *crossover* cat-5 cable. A cat-5e cable will also work fine. Just ask
the
> sales clerk in whatever store you go to if you're not sure. Also, don't
> believe them if they tell you that you need the super expensive type of
> cable. You're not running a mission essential network or anything so the
> cheap cable should work just fine.
>
> I don't know if you game at all with friends and such, but a crossover
> cable is also great for hooking up two machines directly to each other to
> multi-play. I used to do that with a null-modem cable back before
Ethernet
> ports and NIC cards were standard equipment. :)
>
> Dave

> You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
> US Army Signal Corps!!
>
> http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
>
> Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

Again thanks for the information.
I did find a connector in the back of the Compaq that looks like a large
phone
line connector. It doesn't have any markings on it any place I can see but
must
be the Ethernet connector for the cat-5 cable.
One more question? I only have one monitor. Will I be able to use the one
for both computers
when I hook up the cable, will this be a problem?
david

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 17:58:31 GMT, david wrote in

> Again thanks for the information.
> I did find a connector in the back of the Compaq that looks like a large
> phone
> line connector. It doesn't have any markings on it any place I can see but
> must
> be the Ethernet connector for the cat-5 cable.

That sounds like it's it.

> One more question? I only have one monitor. Will I be able to use the one
> for both computers when I hook up the cable, will this be a problem?

You can use one monitor if you have a KVM (keyboard video mouse) switch. I
just recently bought one which allows me to use two computers using a
single monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speaker set. All I do to switch
between them is hit the SCROLL LOCK key twice and then either the up or
down arrow. I believe mine cost $49.99 at Circuit City. You can probably
find them cheaper if you look hard enough online.

Dave

> > > The thread title fully characterizes what and who you are.
> >
> > It sounds like you are pouting, Ron. its not very becoming.
> >
> > - NuTs
>
> GEE, Iwish I had all the time in the world to send garbage back and forth!

It appears you do

; -)

> > Oh, I heard that there was a BIOS update, with undocumented
enhancements,
> > that would do this whole process for them if they pressed a hidden key
> > combination while the system was booting. Do you think that the BIOS
should
> > be updated to address that?
> >

> This has to be the funniest post ive read for months. Thanks NuTCrAcKeR,
> and keep up the good work.

Darren,

I dont suppose you followed the flame thread where that joker was talking
about undocumented enhancements to the bios as a prime reason to update it
whenever possible .... Yeah, I was kicking him about that.

Good times, Darren ... good times.

> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 17:58:31 GMT, david wrote in
>
> > Again thanks for the information.
> > I did find a connector in the back of the Compaq that looks like a large
> > phone
> > line connector. It doesn't have any markings on it any place I can see
but
> > must
> > be the Ethernet connector for the cat-5 cable.
>
> That sounds like it's it.
>
> > One more question? I only have one monitor. Will I be able to use the
one
> > for both computers when I hook up the cable, will this be a problem?
>
> You can use one monitor if you have a KVM (keyboard video mouse) switch.
> just recently bought one which allows me to use two computers using a
> single monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speaker set. All I do to switch
> between them is hit the SCROLL LOCK key twice and then either the up or
> down arrow. I believe mine cost $49.99 at Circuit City. You can probably
> find them cheaper if you look hard enough online.
>
> Dave
> --
> You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
> US Army Signal Corps!!
>
> http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
>
> Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

This is the way I will go. The KVM (keyboard video mouse) I found was a
IOGEAR MiniView Micro 2-Port USB KVM Switch with Built in 6' cables for
$49.99. I have a Microsoft Natural MultiMedia Keyboard and Logitech
Trackman
Mouse I guess this would work with the KVM? Once all this is hooked up is
there
any other step I will need to take?
Thanks again.
david

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:43:07 GMT, david wrote in

> This is the way I will go. The KVM (keyboard video mouse) I found was a
> IOGEAR MiniView Micro 2-Port USB KVM Switch with Built in 6' cables for
> $49.99. I have a Microsoft Natural MultiMedia Keyboard and Logitech
> Trackman Mouse I guess this would work with the KVM? Once all this is
> hooked up is there any other step I will need to take?

No, I think you'll be fine. Just network away.

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

Most changes in each new mobo BIOS are NOT documented. Always flash the
latest mobo BIOS carefully.

> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:43:07 GMT, david wrote in
>
> > This is the way I will go. The KVM (keyboard video mouse) I found was a
> > IOGEAR MiniView Micro 2-Port USB KVM Switch with Built in 6' cables for
> > $49.99. I have a Microsoft Natural MultiMedia Keyboard and Logitech
> > Trackman Mouse I guess this would work with the KVM? Once all this is
> > hooked up is there any other step I will need to take?
>
> No, I think you'll be fine. Just network away.
>
> Dave
> --
> You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
> US Army Signal Corps!!
>
> http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
>
> Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

Thanks again Dave for all the help you have given me.
Now that I am getting a new Dell computer I will probably
be needing help again and It is great to know I can get it
at this newgroup from knowledgeable and helpful people like
youself and others.
david

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 03:47:27 GMT, david wrote in

> Thanks again Dave for all the help you have given me.
> Now that I am getting a new Dell computer I will probably
> be needing help again and It is great to know I can get it
> at this newgroup from knowledgeable and helpful people like
> youself and others.

Usenet is like that. You might also check out the support forums at
http://support.dell.com. There are a lot of folks there who can help out
with any problems, too.

"david" <chevie40no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>any other step I will need to take?
>Thanks again.
>david

I meant to post this yesterday, but got sidetracked. A lot of
your "networking" questions can be answered by checking out
http://www.practicallynetworked.com, which can tell you all you
ever wanted to know and more about all of the basics involved in
home networking - even if it is just a simple, peer-to-peer,
crossover cable connection such as you are contemplating. It'll
take a lot of mystery out of things.
--
OJ III

> Most changes in each new mobo BIOS are NOT documented. Always flash the
> latest mobo BIOS carefully.

I dont suppose you would ever tell anyone to flash thier BIOS wrecklessly,
now would you?

What relavance does your post have to the one that its in repsonse to? Its a
direct ratio to your level of skill and knowledge, NONE.