New Computer With $600 budget MAXIMUM.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SeizedBog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
Any ideas guys? I got $600 bucks to spend to make a gaming PC, btw OS, screen, mouse, keyboard etc not needed.

I got some other questions too
How do I know whether this CPU is good enough for this GPU?
I mean, like would AMD Radeon™ HD 6850 Graphics be good on AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 840?
I'm planning to have them.

Also, in the modern day world, should I choose the number of cores over clock speed or vice versa?

And why is the AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 840 so damn cheap? What's the problem with it?

Thanks.
Semitech n00bie here.

Solution
GPU: HIS HD6790 ICEQ-X - HKD 1170 (Jumbo)
CPU: i5 2400 - HKD 1518 (Price)
MOBO: ASRock H61M-VS - HKD 480 (Jumbo)
RAM: TEAM TED34096M1333HC9 DDR-3 1333Mhz 4G Ram - HKD 295 (Jumbo)
PSU: ANTEC NE520C NeoEco 520W 80Plus 火牛 - HKD 490 (Jumbo)
HDD: Samsung HD103SI 1TB SATA II/32MB HDD - HKD 438 (Jumbo)

Total: 4391 HKD
Worked out just fine, just pick a case and your set.

SeizedBog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
Yup okay!

Another suggestion. Do you think maybe I should invest more on a CPU and less on a GPU?
Like in US dollars here, like maybe 160+ on a cpu and just about 100 on a gpu? would that work? cos i also do video editing and rendering :/
or maybe just compromise :/

just try make it as cheap as possible. cos i really am poor :(
and thank you so damn much. you wont believe how happy i am :)

GPU: HIS HD6790 ICEQ-X - HKD 1170 (Jumbo)
CPU: i5 2400 - HKD 1518 (Price)
MOBO: ASRock H61M-VS - HKD 480 (Jumbo)
RAM: TEAM TED34096M1333HC9 DDR-3 1333Mhz 4G Ram - HKD 295 (Jumbo)
PSU: ANTEC NE520C NeoEco 520W 80Plus 火牛 - HKD 490 (Jumbo)
HDD: Samsung HD103SI 1TB SATA II/32MB HDD - HKD 438 (Jumbo)

Total: 4391 HKD
Worked out just fine, just pick a case and your set.

Solution
Oh yeah, it's fine I just picked that HDD because it's one of the faster HDDs. Didn't want to recommend a slow one. OK well in that case I have two changed for you.

MOBO: MSI P67A-G45 (B3) P67,DDR3,LGA 1155,USB3.0,SATA3 6Gb/s ATX M/B [B3 Stepping] - 1060 HKD

Thats 580 HKD. But you get a board that will last you for a long long time. It'll leave you with room for upgrades I guarentee.

Then just change the HDD to this one.

HDD: Seagate ST3500413AS 500GB SATA3 6Gb/s /16MB HDD - 287 HKD
This is a great HDD for the cost, so you save 151 HKD.

So in the end you only pay 429 HKD Extra, which totals to 4820 w/o a case.

SeizedBog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
Ohh. 4820. That's slightly off my budget by a bit :/

Sorry for being picky here, but do you have a suggestion for a cheaper motherboard? Forget the USB 3.0, dont need it, really all i need for the motherboard is possible ram expansion and really that's it.
Cos i think the cpu's good for at least 3 years, same with gpu, and then i'll be in uni. unless you have another suggestion...?

Or could you explain why this one's good for a long long time?

Also, we could same some money off the cpu maybe. i've had a look, do you think the i3-2100 is good enough for the 6790? It's a hell lot cheaper!

SeizedBog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
So really maybe just four slots. And that's it.
Well, what else is a motherboard for apart from audio card, gpu, cpu and usb? i have no idea :/

Also, what is the point of PCI slots? And how does the audio chipset affect your audio? Better quality?

zepfan_75

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I've got a question for you Seized,( hope this doesn't sound rude) how long have you been studying computers?

..Because if your going to assemble this computer yourself I would suggest studying how to build the computer; your just asking a lot of questions.

^+1

There is no telling how long a GPU will last. It all depends on how fast we advance. For instance Unreal Engine and CryEngine 3 are looking to boast PC's graphics. That may or may not effect. It all depends on your gaming.

ASRock P67 Pro P67,DDR3,LGA 1155, SATA3 6Gb/s ATX M/B [B3 Stepping]- 870 HKD

... Some of these basics you should do more research =P I'm not trying to sound rude here but it would be benefital if you did your own research as well. Some of these questions you've asked me... They're kind of obvious.

I'm assuming when you say 4 slots you mean ram slots? Then the Pro3 is the cheapest board that has that offering.

... The motherboard is for the HDD, Skeleton for your computer, it's the body of the computer, all the connectors mainly go to the motherboard.

PCI slots are for sound cards, older graphics cards, and just assortments of cards.

No it won't have an effect.

Seized, I'm starting to lean on the same boat as Zepfan on this. How long exactly have you studied computers. If anything fails, I don't want me to be blamed on this. You have to do your own research. Just because you know how to put the computer together or know what you need. Doesn't mean that is everything. You need to know the basics before you get in depth.

I suggest googling. That's not a proper verb, but dear god don't even try to correct me, it helped me. It should help you, look for large sites that have big forums, or just major reviews.

zepfan_75

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
^+1

You can't study enough, eventhough I am building my first PC this year I have been studying since October of last year so that I don't forget anything. Most of these questions your asking like "...[cheapest board with 4 RAM slots]" can be fixed by going to newegg searching for P67 boards, switching the order list to cheapest and viewing the pictures for ones with 4 RAM slots. I'm going to jump ahead and tell you that all P67 boards have AT LEAST 4 RAM SLOTS, but point-in-case is that its easy to read/look at pictures and learn what you need.

On the otherhand I'm glad that you came to Tomshardware where we have the patience to teach the OP's simple tricks like this to answer their own questions.