New computer wont turn on

giacona

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2013
I am hoping to get some advice here. I have read through these forums before posting, but I can't get this to work for the life of me.

Here is what I have:

AMD FX8310 Processor with GA-970A-DS3P Motherboard and Apevia Sniper x2 Case

I have built several computers over the years and never had the problem of the pc not turning on when pushing the power button. I connected all the cables from the power supply to the board, including the header cables to the case. I could not get any power at all. I tried re-seeding them several times and received the same result.

I found something online where you plug everything in outside of the case and use a screwdriver in place of the power sw cable. Doing this I was able to get the pc to turn on and I did see the Gigabyte Post screen. (I did notice the power supply fan looked like it was struggling but once it started up it was fine) I used the screwdriver to power off the pc as well.

Since this test did pass, I put everything back in the case, connected everything again and I am still having the same problem no power. Now I am thinking I am connecting something wrong here. The power supply I am using is KDM 775A (cheap one I got off eBay a few years back)

At this point I am getting frustrated again, so I took everything back out of the case again to see if I was plugging in the power connecters in differently, but I was not. They all clicked in perfectly. However this time I cant any power to turn on by using the screwdriver.

I am not sure what part could be causing my issue here, but I need to make a decision ASAP on what to do.

My guess it's either the system board or power supply. If I did have a bad board would I still get power from the power supply? My MB suggests to use a 500W power supply. I am considering purchasing a seasonic to see if that resolves the issue. Can someone recommend one for my board?

I have until this weekend to have an RMA issued for the case if the case is determined to be the culprit, but not sure here.

I would really appreciate some assistance trying to figure out what is causing the problem

Deehomes

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015
Its probably the power button on the case itself. The power button does the same process that touching the screwdriver between the 2 power pins on the motherboard does. When you're pressing the button, its probably not completing the circuit, thus not powering the PC. If it was a PSU or Mobo issue the computer wouldn't boot when you powered it on with the screwdriver.

12PK-WILD

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
Sounds like your mb is grounding out on the case..on the back of mb Solder points are hitting your case and grounding it out..if it works out of case... but not in case thats the prob.... hope this helps ya

As stated it could just be the power button.

Just remove the power button pin header from the board and try to power it with the screwdriver.
If that works then it is just the power button on the case.

As soon as possible replace that power supply shaped time-bomb in your case. Any demand on that power supply is likely to make it die, and when it dies it is going to take out most of your system with it.
Never go cheap on the part that can destroy everything else.