New CPU won't load OS

johnniej

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
I have an Asus P5E3Deluxe WiFi-AP@n MB and have been running it with a Q6600 Intel CPU and it was working fine.
I deceide to upgrade the CPU to a Q9450 Intel CPU and I can't get the darn thing to boot up.
Downloaded all the latest BIOS etc.
When the computer boots up it sees the CPU and it's listed on the screen but it only goes so far into the boot up process and stops dead. I get nothing. Seems like it won't load the OS which by the way is Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit version.
When I take out the new CPU and put in the old one everything goes just fine.
Asus website says this MB is compatable with the quad core CPU's.
Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
almost sounds like a graphic problem but your CPU wouldnt cause that, unless you power supply isnt up to, although with the 45nm supposed use less power.

what GPU you have and what model PSU you have?

mossberg

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
When you change cpu's do a cmos reset. It may be something not set properly from it remembering you old settings that are causing the problem

azimuth40

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
You did not give your other specs but have you looked at memory since the q9450 is going to run at a higher FSB if your motherboard is set for auto detect. Maybe I am wrong but I'm guess that you did not get the highest speed DDR3 considering cost.

You may be able to go into the cmos setup and take it off of auto and crank in back down to the 1066 that your q6600 ran at. If it boots then you found your answer. Time for faster memory or leave it on manual settings.

Your motherboard supports 45nm chips so it is doubtful that is a problem. FSB speed is checked early in post and would cause a freeze around the point that you see. If you know someone with a POST card then you probably can find why it is stopping. You did not mention a single beep or beep codes.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Just a guess, but since you won't know in doing a reinstall of the OS, it could be possible that the Q9450 is overheating.

You didn't state what cooler your using. If your using the stock, there might be a slight problem on the HS installation.

If all components will work with the Q9450, I'm only assuming a heat problem not allowing the CPU to continue.

To check that, I'd go into the bios and let the Q9450 run awhile to see how hot it gets, in just sitting in idle.

johnniej

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Sorry for not giving more detail at original writing.
I am using an eVGA 9800x2 graphics card with 1mb of ddr3 on it.
My power supply is an antec 850 watt supply.
When booted the computer goes through all the normal checks and when it gets to the microsoft windows screen with the little bar going back and forth across the bottom of the screen it just freezes. Get the 1 normal beep during boot up. All apprears to be normal. Nothing highlighted in the BIOS setup. Using the fan that came with the processor. Not running long enough for anything to overheat. If it was a graphics card problem wouldn't I have nothing on the screen during boot up? Also wouldn't be able to see the windows screen where it stops dead.
If I take this processor out and put the old one back in it boots up and runs just fine. Can't figure out why the difference.
Don't know how to do the CMOS reset and will try and find out how but if I do this and it doesn't solve the problem will it still be fine if I put the old CPU back in. Trying to keep the computer going while I figure it out if I can.
Thanks all

johnniej

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Oh ya I am running 4GB of ram. 2 are by OCZ and 2 are by Cossair. Both work with the old processor and all 4gb show up during the post test.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Try running just 2 sticks just to see if the Q9450 gets farther.

Usually, to reset the bios, there should be a jumper, or maybe a button that you push, near the bios battery. Should be easy to find that info on the manual that your MB came with.

azimuth40

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Oh then that is really a different problem. Let me restate, you changed to an entirely different CPU and you pass post, then you get the windows loading bar, it runs a while and then stops.

Looks to me like windows has detected that it is not running on the system that it is licensed for. For anything BUT the CPU it would normally give you and error message. When just changing the CPU often the message will not be displayed. If the system will not boot by pressing F8 after the beep and booting in safe mode, then you most likely will need to do a repair install of your OS. It may be a subtile difference in the HAL code or pointers or OS patches specific to the 6600 which are not compatible with the Q9450 i.e. stepping bugs that are now fixed.

mossberg

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2007
A repair install should not be necessary for a cpu change. I cannot recall ever having to do that one. Just a cmos reset and I was good to go. Though one question I forgot to ask, what speed of memory are you using?

johnniej

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Ok I found the problem. First thank you to all for trying to help.
The problem was I bent the CPU socket pins. When switching back and forth I have no idea how but I bent the pins. I knew something was wrong when I couldn't even get up with the old CPU.
So I puchased a new Motherboard. I hate when that happens.
I am now up with the new mb now. Working the bugs out.
After all that I found out that I can send the mb to Asus and for $40 bucks they send a replacement. I was up front and told them I bent the pins and asked could the socket be replaced or is the board pretty much junk now.
The gentleman said that when they have replace sockets they pretty much have a very high failure rate so I could return it and for a fee get another.
He switched me to the RMA section and the gal said the fee was forty bucks. So she sent me an email with a form I have to fill out and the RMA number and I am sending it back tomorrow.
I will believe it when I see it but I am giving it a shot.
Now that means the old cpu and mb are going into the wifes computer....just neet memory.
Thanks all for your help.