[SOLVED] New CyberPower PC crashing even after 2 RMAs ?

Oct 15, 2022
Hi everyone. New PC buyer here. I purchased my first PC from CyberPower PC and the following are the specs:

• Intel core processor i7-12700K 8P/16 + 4E 3.6 GHz 25 MB cache 125 W LGA1700
  • EVGA CLC 240mm AIO RGB Cpu liquid cooler w/ copper cold plate
  • 32 GB RAM - 2x ADATA XPG LANCER 16 GB DDR5 5200 MHz memory
  • ASUS Prime Z690-P Motherboard (ATX, DDR5, Wifi 6, 2.5GBE LAN,4 PCIE X16, 1 PCIE X1, 3X M.2 SATA/PCIE LGA1700 CEC)
  • APEVIA 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU
  • Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080TI 12 GB GDDR6X
  • Windows 11 Pro
  • Lian Li OC Dynamic 11 ATX mid-tower case with tempered glass
After the PC arrived, I played for 3 days before the PC crashed. Initially, the crashes were intermittent and would occasionally occur during gameplay, but then they started happening more frequently to the point that I could no longer play for more than 5 minutes. To give more details on the crash, during gameplay (and sometimes even when quitting a game to desktop), the monitor would lose signal but the CPU fans, the lights and even the graphics card lights would still be on and running. I would have to kill power to the system and then restart it. I reached out to CyberPowerPC and they agreed to an RMA. They replaced the graphics card and sent it back but after 2-3 more days of gameplay, the same issue occurred again. I sent it back for another RMA and this time they replaced the graphics card, the PSU, and the RAM. This time after they sent back my PC, I did a bit of research and learned about PC cooling and the direction of airflow for the chassis fan and I realized that there was no fan for intake! I bought 3 new fans and used them as intake while the 2 fans (for the AIO cooler) and the existing chassis fan remained as exhaust fans. As expected the GPU temperatures went down by 6-7 degree celsius (from 78 to 71-72). But after 7 days of gameplay, the PC has started crashing again. CPU temperatures have mostly been between 50 and 68 deg celsius under heavy gameplay (ray tracing + DLSS + 1440p 144hz).

During the crashes (since purchase till now), the Windows system logs show a WHEA-logger error with event ID 1. There is a string of bytes provided as details but I was unable to find any resources that could help me decode that. At this point, even if I send back my PC for another RMA, I believe CyberPower PC is just not doing their due diligence, so I am seeking help to understand what could be the issue here.

1. I read online that the PSU I have is actually not a good PSU at all, especially for a 3080ti and I am wondering if it's worthwhile to buy a new good PSU. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
  2. What puzzles me though is if it's a PSU issue why would the CPU/GPU/fans/RGB lights keep running after the crash?
  3. Another issue could be that the GPU is busted again but I am not sure of the chances of ending up with 3 GPUs and all 3 being bad (1st GPU after the purchase was MSI Ventus 3x oc, 2nd GPU was MSI gaming x trio and the 3rd one is Zotac[I don't know any more details about this card]). I am not sure how I can prevent the video card from getting busted though? Any suggestions?
  4. Are there any other tips that you can provide me to help debug hardware issues like this? How do I isolate which part or parts are causing the crash? Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome!
Thanks in advance!

Solution
This is your best option right now for a good quality unit for the least amount of money. If you want to spend a little more, I'd opt for the RM850x. Going a bit further with a 1000w unit, one with GOOD quality, not some model without professional reviews, might not be a terrible idea either since these cards are known for spiking, but really the 850w should be fine.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $104.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-16 00:13 EDT-0400

Review...

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah they really went cheapest 1000watt psu with that Apevia. Might be a psu fault.

You do have the latest bios? Can check via "dxdiag".

Temperatures from the cpu and gpu are fine?

download hwinfo64,
install and open it,
check "sensors-only",
click "run".

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Hi everyone. New PC buyer here. I purchased my first PC from CyberPower PC and the following are the specs:

• ASUS Prime Z690-P Motherboard (ATX, DDR5, Wifi 6, 2.5GBE LAN,4 PCIE X16, 1 PCIE X1, 3X M.2 SATA/PCIE LGA1700 CEC)
  • Windows 11 Pro
After the PC arrived, I played for 3 days before the PC crashed. Initially, the crashes were intermittent and would occasionally occur during gameplay, but then they started happening more frequently to the point that I could no longer play for more than 5 minutes. To give more details on the crash, during gameplay (and sometimes even when quitting a game to desktop), the monitor would lose signal but the CPU fans, the lights and even the graphics card lights would still be on and running. I would have to kill power to the system and then restart it. I reached out to CyberPowerPC and they agreed to an RMA. They replaced the graphics card and sent it back but after 2-3 more days of gameplay, the same issue occurred again. I sent it back for another RMA and this time they replaced the graphics card, the PSU, and the RAM. This time after they sent back my PC, I did a bit of research and learned about PC cooling and the direction of airflow for the chassis fan and I realized that there was no fan for intake! I bought 3 new fans and used them as intake while the 2 fans (for the AIO cooler) and the existing chassis fan remained as exhaust fans. As expected the GPU temperatures went down by 6-7 degree celsius (from 78 to 71-72). But after 7 days of gameplay, the PC has started crashing again. CPU temperatures have mostly been between 50 and 68 deg celsius under heavy gameplay (ray tracing + DLSS + 1440p 144hz).

During the crashes (since purchase till now), the Windows system logs show a WHEA-logger error with event ID 1. There is a string of bytes provided as details but I was unable to find any resources that could help me decode that. At this point, even if I send back my PC for another RMA, I believe CyberPower PC is just not doing their due diligence, so I am seeking help to understand what could be the issue here.

1. I read online that the PSU I have is actually not a good PSU at all, especially for a 3080ti and I am wondering if it's worthwhile to buy a new good PSU. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
  2. What puzzles me though is if it's a PSU issue why would the CPU/GPU/fans/RGB lights keep running after the crash?
  3. Another issue could be that the GPU is busted again but I am not sure of the chances of ending up with 3 GPUs and all 3 being bad (1st GPU after the purchase was MSI Ventus 3x oc, 2nd GPU was MSI gaming x trio and the 3rd one is Zotac[I don't know any more details about this card]). I am not sure how I can prevent the video card from getting busted though? Any suggestions?
  4. Are there any other tips that you can provide me to help debug hardware issues like this? How do I isolate which part or parts are causing the crash? Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome!
Thanks in advance!
It's your call.

If the merchant will issue a refund for the machine you might want to consider that.

If you decide to fix it yourself you might want to start with a quality 850/1000w psu.

Oct 15, 2022
Yeah they really went cheapest 1000watt psu with that Apevia. Might be a psu fault.

You do have the latest bios? Can check via "dxdiag".

Temperatures from the cpu and gpu are fine?

Thanks for the response. I've mostly been using MSI afterburner for monitoring temp (CPU + GPU) and they have been reasonable under load (GPU - max 72 deg celsius and CPU max 68 deg celsius). I'll try out hwinfo once the PC comes back from RMA.

I haven't actually checked if the BIOS is on the latest version. I'll check that as well once the PC returns.

Oct 15, 2022
Get your money back and start over with something from a different company.
Haven’t used apevia power supplies but sound to me like they cheaped out.

I’ve got the 850 watt version of this and have been happy. But you paid for a working product, it may be good to consider returning the pc.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-...-1000w/p/N82E16817139273?item=N82E16817139273
It's your call.

If the merchant will issue a refund for the machine you might want to consider that.

If you decide to fix it yourself you might want to start with a quality 850/1000w psu.

Unfortunately, I am past the 30 day return period, given that I have already had 2 RMAs since purchase. CyberPowerPC's return policy is really bad where you can get a full refund only if you return the PC within 30 days from the invoice date (not even the date I receive the PC!!) which does not give a lot of time to test.

I will have to fix the issues myself and I'll start with a better PSU as suggested by you folks.

Unfortunately, I am past the 30 day return period, given that I have already had 2 RMAs since purchase. CyberPowerPC's return policy is really bad where you can get a full refund only if you return the PC within 30 days from the invoice date (not even the date I receive the PC!!) which does not give a lot of time to test.

I will have to fix the issues myself and I'll start with a better PSU as suggested by you folks.

To be fair would contact them anyway and explain to them that you had two returns within 30 day window and now its broken again and please can you give me a refund

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021
Thanks for the response. I've mostly been using MSI afterburner for monitoring temp (CPU + GPU) and they have been reasonable under load (GPU - max 72 deg celsius and CPU max 68 deg celsius). I'll try out hwinfo once the PC comes back from RMA.

I haven't actually checked if the BIOS is on the latest version. I'll check that as well once the PC returns.
did you do your research before buying?

Oct 15, 2022
To be fair would contact them anyway and explain to them that you had two returns within 30 day window and now its broken again and please can you give me a refund

How long has he bought the pc

I purchased the PC in May and the first RMA itself happened in June (a little over 30 days). I was unable to play for a couple of months and then when I did play again In September, the PC started crashing again. PC went for 2nd RMA in Sep and when it got back in the first week of Oct, I played for a week and it started crashing again. Now it's on its way back to them for a 3rd RMA service.

Fatblabs

Commendable
Jun 29, 2021

• Windows 11 Pro

Thanks in advance!
is a 240 mm even enough to cool an i7 12700k?

This is your best option right now for a good quality unit for the least amount of money. If you want to spend a little more, I'd opt for the RM850x. Going a bit further with a 1000w unit, one with GOOD quality, not some model without professional reviews, might not be a terrible idea either since these cards are known for spiking, but really the 850w should be fine.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $104.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-16 00:13 EDT-0400

Review:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermaltake-toughpower-gf1-850w-power-supply

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $149.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-16 00:15 EDT-0400

Last edited:
Solution

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022
I purchased the PC in May and the first RMA itself happened in June (a little over 30 days). I was unable to play for a couple of months and then when I did play again In September, the PC started crashing again. PC went for 2nd RMA in Sep and when it got back in the first week of Oct, I played for a week and it started crashing again. Now it's on its way back to them for a 3rd RMA service.

I would insist that they swap the PSU for a quality unit this time, see if that works.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The other thing is downtime considering how many times they sent the pc back and you see the level of service they provided…
I don't know power pc and don't advocate for them, but they did replace parts twice,

I reached out to CyberPowerPC and they agreed to an RMA. They replaced the graphics card and sent it back but after 2-3 more days of gameplay, the same issue occurred again. I sent it back for another RMA and this time they replaced the graphics card, the PSU, and the RAM. This time after they sent back my PC, I did a bit of research and learned about PC cooling and the direction of airflow for the chassis fan and I realized that there was no fan for intake! I bought 3 new fans and used them as intake while the 2 fans (for the AIO cooler) and the existing chassis fan remained as exhaust fans. As expected the GPU temperatures went down by 6-7 degree celsius (from 78 to 71-72). But after 7 days of gameplay, the PC has started crashing again. CPU temperatures have mostly been between 50 and 68 deg celsius under heavy gameplay (ray tracing + DLSS + 1440p 144hz).
They would have better replaced the psu with something better we all agree on and in a build like that would have some front intake, like at least 2 fans, been a good feature to have. Assuming they really did the work.

Seems the pc is in for the third time? Maybe wait and see what this rma brings? If they have it can you ask them to update the bios for you if not on the latest version now

If the pc is in for an rma, ask them if it’s possible to pay for a better power supply if they’ll allow you to upgrade it.

I will say I suppose I forget sometimes as an IT tech I forget that other people don’t always know what I do in regards to this psu brand is better than the other etc.

In regards to the initial crashes the op was getting, usually crashes are related to heat or power. I would think the EVGA cooling is sufficient. Not knowing a lot about apevia and not seeing a lot of reviews on their power supplies, that’s my reasoning for saying to try changing the power supply. The Lian Li case should be ok. I guess it’s worth asking how many fans are in it. But if it has the amount of fans that Amazon shows that case supporting then there should be enough cooling. So all those factors push me towards the power supply personally.

I don't know power pc and don't advocate for them, but they did replace parts twice,
Did they? Do you know that for a fact? Does the OP know that for a fact?

What there a specific scratch or identifier that positively allowed you to know they didn't just send you back the same machine twice? Because I've absolutely seen them, iBuypowerPC, and many graphics card and motherboard manufacturers send the same device back multiple times with OR without making clear that it was replaced with a new one or that they couldn't find anything wrong with it, so that you'd assume they HAD replaced it when they had not.

Reactions: martinch