new dell laptop image restore

Do I understand correct that new dell laptop like the 8600 does not come
with OS restore cd's but instead a restore image on a seperate partition. Or
does it come with both?? I am no fan of restore images, if the hard drive
fails how does one restore his system on the replacement???

David

"Billy Radio" <droozor@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<k8ydnU6q2bBMmj3cRVn-uw@comcast.com>...
> Do I understand correct that new dell laptop like the 8600 does not come
> with OS restore cd's but instead a restore image on a seperate partition. Or
> does it come with both?? I am no fan of restore images, if the hard drive
> fails how does one restore his system on the replacement???

They still come with both. My laptop is 2 weeks old and had
an image restore partion (which I deleted) and an OEM XP
cd. Did a clean install right away with no problems.
I've heard they are going to discontinue or make it an option
to include the oem xp cds in the future. By the way the restore
partion was over 3 gig. If Dell does not give the option to
include the oem xp cd I won't do business with them anymore.
I have a feeling the oem cd will always be available but just
a little harder to make sure it is included in your order.
Best wishes..
Dave

They are shipping with just the restore images now. If the drive fails,
presumably you can get a new one from Dell with an image, or with the
CDs - or you can order the restore CDs from Dell (there's no separate OS
CD any longer).

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in news:Ea%nd.19886$iU5.5997
@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com:

> They are shipping with just the restore images now. If the drive fails,
> presumably you can get a new one from Dell with an image, or with the
> CDs - or you can order the restore CDs from Dell (there's no separate OS
> CD any longer).

This is not good. For me, I guess it is not a big deal because I already
own and use Drive Image. But I still see this as a terrible way to do
business - they at least owe us a CD based image of their own making. I've
only purchased Dells for years, but this is enough to make me start looking
elsewhere.

--
Tom McCune

Let us know when you find a major that does ship a standard XP CD.

"Tom McCune" <news1@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in message
> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in news:Ea%nd.19886$iU5.5997
> @newssvr15.news.prodigy.com:
>
>> They are shipping with just the restore images now. If the drive fails,
>> presumably you can get a new one from Dell with an image, or with the
>> CDs - or you can order the restore CDs from Dell (there's no separate OS
>> CD any longer).
>
> This is not good. For me, I guess it is not a big deal because I already
> own and use Drive Image. But I still see this as a terrible way to do
> business - they at least owe us a CD based image of their own making.
> I've
> only purchased Dells for years, but this is enough to make me start
> looking
> elsewhere.
>
> --
> Tom McCune
> My PGP Page & FAQ: http://www.McCune.cc/PGP.htm

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

surely the most sensible thing to do as an owner is to "BACK UP" all data
and that includes making a back up of the O/s from the drive image whenthe
machine is new?????

The owness is on the user to back up thier data and that includes all
software

"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in

> surely the most sensible thing to do as an owner is to "BACK UP" all
> data and that includes making a back up of the O/s from the drive
> image whenthe machine is new?????

I think this is correct for those of us not having to make purchase of
imaging software, and having to learn how to use it. For many of us,
including myself, that is no problem, but this is not true for most users.

I admit that I have been looking at new Dells, but next month I will be
making my last tuition payment for my last child in college, and a year and
a half later I will be retiring, so I should wait a little longer before my
next purchase. I've also been looking at machines designed for having less
noise, and this will have me looking even more in that direction (I'll have
to take a look at what software backup they provide).

--
Tom McCune

The organic entity known as Fixer communicated the following:

> surely the most sensible thing to do as an owner is to "BACK UP" all
> data and that includes making a back up of the O/s from the drive
> image whenthe machine is new?????

Hummmmm. But how do we restore this back-up if we have no OS to boot up the
machine?

--
Hans

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 08:43:41 +0100, LaVacheQuiRit
<i.dont.want.spam@xs4all.invalid> wrote:

>The organic entity known as Fixer communicated the following:

>> surely the most sensible thing to do as an owner is to "BACK UP" all
>> data and that includes making a back up of the O/s from the drive
>> image whenthe machine is new?????
>>
>Hummmmm. But how do we restore this back-up if we have no OS to boot up the
>machine?
Included in the backup-sw

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Fixer tries to squeeze blood from a stone if you backed up the O/S on the
day you got it then it wouldn't be a problem, if by some chance it didn't
work straight from the box then return it