New drive not recognizing discs

chuckado

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Hi, I just purchased a sh-b123l. it is a samsung blu ray reader. My windows 7 box recognizes the drive and it appears in my computer but it does not recognize any disc, I put in it. I have tried the samsung disc that came with it that included all of the bundled software and a blu ray movie. Any suggestions or is the drive bad, even though windows recognizes it is there?

ekramme

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Hey, I just posted a similar thread as well tonight! Does yours give you a "Insert a disc" error?

My computer sees the drive as well, it just can't seem to read anything... I'm gonna keep searching the net, but I can't find anything outside of the SB04 firmware to try at this point, and that didn't do anything new for me.

Let me know if you make any headway! Thanks in advance, haha!

chuckado

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Well that error means that it can not find a disc. I contacted Samsung and they told me if you do not hear the motor then the drive is dead. He recommended I try to return to amazon which I did but if I could not then rma with Samsung. I chose Amazon because they gave me a shipping label and did an advanced replacement.

lenovoboy

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Check the disc for damage
If the disc is clean, check whether it is damaged. To do this, follow these steps:
Remove the disc from the drive, and then examine the disc for scratches or cracks.
If the disc is damaged, try another disc to see whether the CD or DVD drive can read it.
If the computer still cannot read a disc, there may be a problem with the drive. Go to method 3 to troubleshoot the CD or DVD drive.
If the computer can read the other disc, there is a problem with original CD or DVD. Contact the manufacturer of the damaged disc to obtain a replacement.
Back to the top

Try a different disc drive
If the disc is clean and undamaged, check whether there is a problem with the drive. To do this, follow these steps:
If the computer has more than one disc drive, insert the disc in a different CD or DVD drive to see whether it can read the disc.
If your computer does not have more than one disc drive, you can insert the disc in a different computer.
If the other CD or DVD drive can read the disc, there may be a problem with your CD or DVD drive. Go to method 5.
If the other CD or DVD drive cannot read the disc, the disc may not be compatible with the drive. .

Make sure that the disc is compatible with the drive
Check the following list to make sure that the disc that you are trying to use is compatible with your CD or DVD drive.
A DVD disc is incompatible with a standard CD drive.
A CD-RW disc is incompatible with a CD drive that does not support CD-RW discs.
A DVD disc is incompatible with a drive that does not have a DVD logo on the front.
If the disc is compatible, go to method 5.
If the disc is incompatible, use a compatible disc or contact the vendor for a compatible replacement.

Use Windows Update to check for updated drivers
If the disc is compatible with your CD or DVD drive, check for updated drivers that the CD or DVD drive may be missing. To check for driver updates that you can install, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://update.microsoft.com

spinel

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
im having cd problems try booting the computer from operating system cd-rom
turn on com hit key go to setup cdrom first boot device ect and seee if it works
if it does work your probebly having the same prob as me none

spinel problems solved