[SOLVED] New gaming build, budget flexible, use €2000 as orientation

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
I've just moved into a second home and because there is 1,000km between my two homes now, I feel I need a whole new build, as hauling my rig around seems unreasonable. Also, my other PC is 10 years old at this point and even though it has been updated to cope with what I use it for, a 10-year-old main board poses certain limitations.

My budget is flexible, I think staying below €2,000 would be reasonable, but if I could get a significant boost in performance for a couple hundred more, I'd probably do that.

My primary uses for the PC will be gaming and internet surfing. I have a bad habit of opening thousands (literally!) of tabs when surfing and the game that I will probably be playing for the foreseeable future (and certainly the most demanding in terms of gaming performance) is Total War: Warhammer 2. So ideally my new build could run that game on maximum settings (ultra unit scale, first and foremost) and handle an unreasonable amount of open tabs.

Approximate Purchase Date: soon, i.e. I will buy parts as soon as I have all the info I need

Budget Range: flexible, ideally below €2,000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: surfing, watching movies, gaming (Total War: Warhammer 2)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade:Completely new build

Do you need to buy OS: Yes (and I despise Windows 10 so either Win7 compatibility or help in tweaking Win10 to effective become Win7 would be greatly appreciated)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Don't care. Last time I built a PC, I bought parts from various websites

Parts Preferences: I don't care.

Overclocking: Probably not. I'd rather just buy better parts than reduce life expectancy of my build. If it can be done without harming parts, sure, but you'd have to tell me how.

SLI or Crossfire: I don't know what that is.

Your Monitor Resolution: I don't know what's common here. My current PC has 1920x1080, I think that's enough?

Additional Comments: A quiet PC would be much preferred.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Not really upgrading, but my current PC slows down significantly during large battles in TW: Warhammer 2.

Please let me know if you need any more info from me!

Solution
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/Mrshp8

I have added the 280mm version on the Arctic CPU cooler. Looks like PCpartspicker doesn't include all possible merchants, so I have, for example, just found the monitor for €439 elsewhere. Looks like it might be a little cheaper in the end!

I'm just a bit insecure about the more expensive bits, at the moment. Maybe you could give me a little more guidance there, if I'm not being too demanding of your time!

So basically, I'm wondering regarding CPU, Motherboard, GPU (and maybe the monitor), how much difference in price and performance the next cheaper and the next dearer options would make respectively.

Also, a much more general question: With which of these parts does the brand...

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
That's how it was yesterday when I got up to 81/93°C. Today the guys here told me to reverse the fans to blow the hot air out in front and it brought temp down to mid-70s at least.

You can see photos of my desk, you'll see there is virtually no room behind the case, that's why we moved the exhaust fans to the front.

Also Try This
klaMrxZ.jpg

That's how it was yesterday when I got up to 81/93°C. Today the guys here told me to reverse the fans to blow the hot air out in front and it brought temp down to mid-70s at least.

You can see photos of my desk, you'll see there is virtually no room behind the case, that's why we moved the exhaust fans to the front.
Yes then reinstall the CPU Cooler and See if the CPU Cooler was not installed properly.

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
Did you apply Thermal Paste Properly. And Screwed down the CPU Cooler in crisscross manner.
I think I did. When reinstalling it, do I have to remove the old paste? Now that you bring it up, it is totally possible I installed the fans in the CPU cooler the wrong way around, they may be blowing against one another! Never occurred to me that they could be installed either way. So... in the current config, I'll have them blow towards the front then, yes?

I think I did. When reinstalling it, do I have to remove the old paste? Now that you bring it up, it is totally possible I installed the fans in the CPU cooler the wrong way around, they may be blowing against one another! Never occurred to me that they could be installed either way. So... in the current config, I'll have them blow towards the front then, yes?
Yes. Please check if both fans are in blowing in same direction instead of blowing towards each other.

Seems like it. Playing a battle right now, cpu temp stays around 66°C. But I just saw in Afterburner that GPU is at 91°C. That's a bit high, isn't it?
While that is within spec (reference designs run about 100C), it is about 20-30C higher than it should be with that card. My guess is that the CPU is getting the cool air coming in from the back, but your GPU isn't getting the cool air. Instead the GPU is getting the warm air from the CPU cooler.

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
Only by removing it from the desk.

Do another test but this time take the case out of the desk and see what the temps are'

Ryzen Master is crashing? That should not be happening.
Did that this morning. I had it sitting on the floor. side panels taken off, running wh2, it peaked just below 60°C. But I really can't do that. I have no room for the case outside the desk. Well, unless I want my office to look awful and the wife won't like that :D

And yes, it crashes all the time. Basically every time I play WH2.

Also, I am having these... I'll call them graphics crashes. The screen turns black for 2-3 seconds, then the image returns, first in black and white, all blocky and then then the game is back on. Seems to be a problem with the GPU as well, I guess.

From those pictures there is really no way for hot air to escape out the back of the case without a huge buildup of hot air around the case.

And now some fan has started rattling as well. Good god, what was I thinking not just buying a damn computer off the shelf o_O
Fan noise happens and it probably is just a bearing being wonky or perhaps a cable is rubbing against the fan. On my 7 year old desktop I had a fan bearing start acting up. It didn't sound right for a good 1-2 weeks but now it has been fine again.

In regards to the issues these are normal with any build. There is a bit of teething that all new builds have. However, once you work them out, a custom home built computer will be rock solid for years to come.