New Gaming Computer. Vista or XP?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

For Gaming, which OS is better?

• XP

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Vista

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shiva d

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
Go w/ XP Pro sp2 64-bit! much stronger and more stable and recognizes more ram than older XPs. Vista isn't ready yet (read all the threads). As a WoW gamer, it's killer!

jonisginger

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Vista is rubbish.

Don't use it, "DX10" now is no different to XP, I've seen some Vista VS XP crysis screenshots, and they look no different,

SyPheR

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Go with XP. Remember THE inventor of 3D shootem ups? Yes, it was John Carmack leading ID Software. The inventor of lightning/shadows also. Now he has created another engine that will kick ass.....it's called the idtech 5 engine. The first DX9 game to shine on this engine will be the game "Rage". You should see some demo trailer of Rage displayed at Quakecon 2007. The gamemap was created in 10 days and the Artists have the ability to edit the game running within the engine itself. This is an artists dream come true as they can edit and develop in realtime. And best of all is....it's DX9 and you dont even need DX10. So no Vista or expensive 8800 card needed. You say Crysis? hehe...better wait another year before crysis can be played respectivly at 60 FPS. I still have to see the first DX10 card that will be capable of doing so. But than again...will the multiplayer mode of that game be worth the money? Dunno. I feel a bit sad for the people who've saved a lot of money on their first DX10 card while crysis allready makes them obsolete as it runs at 20 FPS. Talking about money....they also bought Vista for it. $$$ for what.....the first dx10 game they can't even play at the high quality dx10 level it supposed to be played in? No, they have to put this game on medium allready. Bye bye $$$. I'm glad I've did my homework and bought a X1950XT.
Anways....back to other cool stuff to come. The IDtech 5 engine is very versatile. When it renders the game it will automaticly render it to MAC OSX/WINDOWS/Consoles formats. That means the games running on that engine are also being released on those platforms. DX9 is not dead yet. Many game developing companies can't wait to get a fast developing engine in their power. This way it will not take like 4 or more years to develop a high quality game anymore. So my guess is....stay with XP because this new DX9 based engine will kick ass.

mavrick88

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
There really isn't a major downside to having Vista for gaming vs. using XP. You're talking about having the latest technology vs. something that came out back in 2001. YES there have been many many updates for XP and the up coming XP SP3 will bring a lot more. Still, there is nothing wrong with having the latest thing. It wont hurt you AND you'll be use to the new OS by the time it's ready to take advantage of the new games. And yes one day you willl HAVE to have Vista, so you might as well get it now.

fordy9

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
Ive just bought a new computer with the E6750, 8800GT, 2gig RAM etc. I plan on getting Vista 32 bit. Sure, if i already had my computer for a while with XP installed, i probably wouldnt upgrade at the moment, but seeing as I'm getting a new computer with an 8 series card, i think it makes sense to go with vista. I chose 32 bit because i really wont the computer to be stable and compatable, aka i just want less issues. Thats the plan anyway, im still open to peoples thoughts if they have any...

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
XP vs Vista......XP

I have had enough of Microsoft's bugged disgrace of an operating system Vista. My games run worse, Blue screens constantly and freezing are just some of the issues I have been facing.

I bought Vista because I was stupid and listened to the hype about better security and Direct X 10 Gaming. Direct X 10 has in my opinion turned out to be an over hyped load of Junk resulting in much less performance than DX9 mode of a game while offering little visually, it's a joke!

Vista includes a Security feature called 'User Acount Control', which constantly asks for 'Allow' or 'Deny'. It might sound like a good idea, but constant alerts become annoying and I have have found certain software not to function properly when it's enabled.

My computer is capable and all of my hardware is Vista capable with latest drivers installed, but Vista is unstable. I often have a blue screen dump before I can enter windows and random freezes while I am working in the operating system.

Vista is junk

fordy9

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
ok.....but that aside, don't you think that its sensible to go with vista if your getting a brand new computer, not just upgrading an old one?

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007

I don't think new computer buyers will have much choice when XP is stopped. However presently (to Microsoft's dislike) many computer manufacturers are still offering XP, that itself proves that people are wary of Microsoft's vista Junk.

The problem with Vista is it's hardly an upgrade from XP, well apart from some minor usability improvements and fancy effects. However for offering so little it's much more bloated and more Buggy. I'm not the only one who hates Vista, do a Google to see what I mean.

I have downgraded (or Should I say Upgraded lol) my machine back to XP.

Devil_Dog

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
I'll be getting a new comp here this week. Q6600 OC to 3.0Ghz/2gig of 1066mhz/Os is on a 74gig raptor drive, with a 320gig drive for games and stuff/680i mobo/Vista Premium-64bit/8800GT. I'm thinking of probably dropping another 2gigs of ram in it in January or end of Dec. All cost $2400 at www.DigitalStormOnline.com. Its all inside a full tower case http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_spec.php?pno=tj09&area=usa

So yeah there it is.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007

I thought the same when I purchased my 2900pro, but now I realise DX10 is all hype and XP is better for games despite being DX9.

Cirga

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
Hmm... seems everyone has their own flavor here. I personally really like Vista on my gaming rig. I like the way Vista manages the memory.. especially when it comes to load times for my games. I also like how much more secure vista is comparitively. With user account control and a windows defender that actually works.. they are just a couple extra tools to stop invasive and malicious programs.

And yes that does play into one game I play (wow) when getting mods for the game.. I am paranoid of any user created mod.. because there is no telling what "could" be in the program and be malicious.

My rig even runs Supreme Commander like a dream .. dual screen with 1,000 units on the map.

As long as you have the correct drivers that are compatible with Vista for all your hardware.. you should have no problems making Vista your new gaming platform.

People dont like change.. its a proven fact that we dont. I didnt want to go to Vista.. but I am glad I did now. I remember when I was hardcore Win2k back in the day and thought XP was crap. Once I went to XP.. I realized it was actually not that bad at all. I have 2 gaming PC's.. one is XP .. one is Vista. I prefer playing on the vista machine.. and the hardware is on par between both rigs.

The only thing I could state is.. if you dont have 2 gigs of RAM + .. dont go to Vista. If you do.. you should consider it.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007

Vista is more secure from default I'll grant that because it includes Windows Defender and the annoying User account feature , but Defender can be downloaded and installed into XP too. I don't believe Vista is any more secure than XP, once an XP system has the appropriate security software installed and has the latest updates installed from Microsoft.

Mrking

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
I used vista ultimate 64 bit for several months just to try it out and let me tell you.....stick with xp......I just put xp back on my computer and it is much better for gaming right now.....I wouldn't play with vista unless most game are direct 10....which is what I will do once that happens.....but for now I would stick with xp

Cirga

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007

I think by default is the exact reason I stated that. When you default security settings of that nature it takes less user intervention.. which equals more overall security for "every" end user. Also, I am not sure if you have tried Windows defender on XP.. but on both of my rigs that still run XP I dare not touch that.. for it caused quite a few problems for me after installing.

Also, dont forget how Vista handles networks it attaches to. You tell Vista if the network is private or public etc.. and it shuts off alot of features by "default" based upon your selection. If you select a public network it actually shuts off file sharing.. making you safer on a public LAN or WAN. And its quite idiot proof to boot.. as soon as you connect to a new network Vista goes through and prompts you asking you teh questions needed to properly secure your system.

I run XP and Vista.. and while I hated Vista at first.. afte rusing it for a while and seeing what they have actually added to the OS.. I feel its worthwhile for an average user. But that doesnt mean everyone is going to like it and/or use it. In a way I find it a bit amusing that so many are vehement haters of the new OS. But hey I should not be surprised.. everyone is afraid of change in just about every aspect of daily life.

Cirga

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007

Key here is.. "64" bit. The 64 bit version of XP is horrible to use too. Have you tried the "32" bit version of Vista?

rickpatbrown

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
I want to say something too. Blah Blah Blah Blah.

Vista will be standard in the next year. XP is more stable and mature right now. If you have the money, go with XP and buy Vista in eight months to a year. If your concerened about money, get Vista.

I'd like to add that I don't have Vista and my response is purely developed from other's responses and therefore worthless.

I think that the retail version of Vista Ultimate also comes with 32bit and 64bit. It also costs twice as much as OEM. I think they do that on purpose.

rickpcnerd

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Stay with Vista at least for one more year. Why upgrade to vista? in 2009 WIndows Vienna will launch. You have another alternative, Dual Boot xp and Vista. With vista you will loose about 10 to 15% game performance. Me and my 15 programming group we dont have to upgrade to vista to play Only Dx 10 games. We found the way to hack DX 10 to integrate to XP and some other modification to play only Vista games into XP. Just like other group of programmers found the way to convert Xp pro to Media center. Soon we will post benchmarks xp Dx 10 vs Vista Dx 10, and a video of Halo 2 running on both OS. xp Dx 10 has a 13% increase than vista. Unfortunately we wont share our final software to the world due to illegal issues. The video will show the world is possible and has been done. It was a six month project. Our Next project is to run pc games in ubuntu without Cedega or other emulator. We will integrate Dx 10 and tons of Windows Xp files to run pc games native on linux. Will take us about 1 year 8 month to accomplish this.

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
rick,

why would a hack into dx-10 have legal consequences as it is not an infringement in copy rights as dx - 10 is an industry standard that can be used by anyone.

P. S. --- maybe you could post hack as torrent file to be shared by everyone --- i like the concept of your hack --- but difficult to say wehter the hack really exists as its only your word with no third party verification

I think that the retail version of Vista Ultimate also comes with 32bit and 64bit. It also costs twice as much as OEM. I think they do that on purpose.

Yes but for a nominal fee you can exchange the OEM or upgrade ver of any Vista, except perhaps Basic, for the 64 bit ver. It's about $10 I think.

DadEOh

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008

I'LL SELL MY COPY OF Vista ULTIMATE CHEAP I WENT BACK TO XP 64 AFTER 4 MONTHS

DadEOh

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008

If your mother board is more than a couple years old and it isn't top of the line check closely before upgrading to VISTA I ended up reverting back to XP because of the lack of sound drivers

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Well, I personally would say go with XP if you have it, but go with Vista if its going to be a new build.

Vista is going to continue to mature, sp1 is available now via torrents and will officially be available in a few weeks.

I am currently running vista with sp1, it works well. I used it for about 8 months, ditched it for xp for a few weeks.

In all honesty I missed the quick find on the start menu, type in the name of the program and it pops up. I also missed the sidebar gadgets. I tried looking for an alternative, but no one makes those same ones.

As long as you are up to date on drivers, download the latest program versions and updates. You should be ok.

I game on my vista machine regularly, Crysis, Cod4, sins of a solar empire, guitar hero 3 etc. Even supreme commander.

I have had no issues really. But once again you have got to keep up with the drivers, video being the most important.

Rackers

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
I'll also put one in for Vista x64, changed from XP and playing games is no different at all, we are talking a 5% performance difference if any. Basically you will not know the difference unless you sit there recording FPS.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005

Couldn't agree more. I've been bouncing back and forth between vista and XP pro on my desktop and, there really is no difference. I choose to run XP because it is compatible with everything I've got where as Vista isn't.

Now, I just bought a new Dell XPS M1530 with Vista on it and it runs phenomenal on that. Games really well too

Status
Not open for further replies.