Question New GPU, but I only get a black screen

May 3, 2019
Hello,

I tried to upgrade from a GT 630 to a RX 570 today. I got a new PSU aswell, so power should not be the problem. Anyway, I put the new card on the motherboard (the motherboard is very old and crappy, but it does have a pcie 16x slot) but when turning the PC on there is no video at all, I can't even enter BIOS, however the GPU fans start spinning.
I think the problem is that my computer for some reason doesn't use the Intel integrated graphics ( I have a i5-3450) and I can't install the card because of that. Maybe it's also the motherboard, but technically the GT 630 is not that different from the new card, right? They both use pcie 16x as far as I know, only that the 570 needs additional power.
Please help me, I am very frustrated right now!
Thanks!

System Specs
Windows 10
i5-3450
Motherboard is Packard Bell imedia L4870

Steps taken:
resetting CMOS
trying to boot into safe mode
trying to get the PC to boot with iGPU
looking in BIOS for any pcie/boot options, but there aren't any

May 3, 2019
Which PSU is that ? List the make/model number. Do you have the latest BIOS installed on your system ? Does your motherboard support both UEFI and LEGACY mode to boot the OS ?
PSU is the Thermaltake Hamburg 530W 80+ Bronze.
As you can see from the original post, I have an OEM motherboard. On the packard bell website there is no bios update for this model available.
Since its a pretty bad motherboard, I doubt it has any features except the most basic ones, although I really don't know much about BIOS features. I went through the BIOS but couldn't find anything regarding UEFI or Legacy mode.

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
I see. Then it looks like BIOS issue as your hardware is not recognizing the GPU for some reason. Some OEM PCs come with locked or fixed bios. Assuming that the RX 570 is fine, your motherboard might be bios locked or using a bios that doesn't recognize your new gpu. You could reach out to Packard Bell, if that's even possible. Else, I suppose get a cheap used LGA 1155 mobo.