Question New gpu no boot (Single click sound from psu) Everything fine with old Gpu !!!

Jan 6, 2023
Hello friends !!
My system:
Mobo: Asus b 350 f gaming
Cpu: Ryzen 5 5600 x
Ram : Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 RAM (2x8GB) 3200 cl 16
New Gpu : Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 16GB GDDR6 Gaming OC
Old Gpu : Rtx 2060 gaming z 6gb

Psu : Corsair Tx-M Series Tx750M 80+ Gold 750W
Hard drive :Samsung 980 pro 1tb ssd nvme
Case : nzxt h510i
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi i have this system with gpu rtx 2060 gaming z 6gb and runs fine for a while!
I just change my gpu to Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 16GB GDDR6 Gaming OC .
Pc runs ok for few hours, (temps ok both hotspot and die) (i just see on bf 2042 and pubg lower core clocks ond gpu usage fps )
!!!then it shut's down complete not restart automatic at all !!!( when i play Call of duty wz 2)
If i set only 1 pcie cable on the left slot on the gpu the fans gpu etc lights up i get white motherboard led no post!!
If i put 1 pcie cable on the right pcie slot on the gpu no light no fans just a Single click sound from the psu (maybe Relay for protection) !!
(same i get with the corect 2 pcie cables on the 2 conectors on the gpu) !!!
"""If i put back my old gpu everythings works fine"""!!!( i think i get more coil whine maybe after all of this) !!
Any solutiuon???
Thank's for your time. My english is a little bit strange!

Jan 6, 2023
From what you described I'd say your new GPU died. Most likely there is short on right PCIe connector, that's why you hear click from PSU (it's refusing to start because it detects short).
hmmm. what can cause this? (can be damaged from the psu??)
old gpu needs"1 -8pin pcie " works with both pcie cables and both pcie conectors on psu i try it)
so i dont think is any problem coming from the psu!! right? Just a falty gpu?( brand new)
power draw on games old gpu 170-180 w new gpu 200 210 w i dont think psu cant handle this!!!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Rx6800 can spike upto @ 400w, add another 100w for the cpu and another 100w for the rest of the pc and a 750w has plenty of headroom. If using 2x seperate 8pin leads and not a single lead split into 2x 8pin.

So I'm doubting it's the psu. Most likely it's a driver conflict/ram issue, I'd be looking for anything in the viewer history that might be a cause of the sudden shutdowns.

Jan 6, 2023
The Rx6800 can spike upto @ 400w, add another 100w for the cpu and another 100w for the rest of the pc and a 750w has plenty of headroom. If using 2x seperate 8pin leads and not a single lead split into 2x 8pin.

So I'm doubting it's the psu. Most likely it's a driver conflict/ram issue, I'd be looking for anything in the viewer history that might be a cause of the sudden shutdowns.

-I use 2 separate 8 pin leads 2 cables from the psu to the card!
-I did fresh install windows 11 ,bios reset ,all the drivers also !
-the shutdown only happen once and the pc never boot again with the new card!
-on the windows I see only something system close unexpectedly !
-Everything works fine with the old gpu!
- with the Rx 6800 I can see fans lights etc on gpu and case no post no video ,only if I use 1 /8pin cable on the left connector on the card !!If I plug 8 pin cable on the right connector ,I get one click sound from the psu no light nothing!so I assuming is something wrong on the gpu connector!!
But I don’t know if something is wrong with the psu and it “kills” the card ! I don’t see something wrong on hw monitor on heavy loads etc on my system with the old card same psu!!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you plug in the gpu and the psu clicks, the psu is tripping a protective circuit, most likely the Short Circuit Protection.

To test that, and it's not due to the psu or cables, plug the gpu in with both connectors. Test. Then swap the connectors, around, at the gpu. If plugging in the Left always gets you lights, but plugging in the Right trips with either cable, then the gpu is bad. If plugging in the Right, and it works, I'd be looking hard for nicks or cuts or burn marks on the cables where possibly they got pinched or dragged across sharp metal edge of the case.

Should also test by moving the connectors at the psu. You should eliminate all possibilities of it being due to a bad psu cable, before sending the gpu away.

Reactions: jCostaGR
Jan 6, 2023
i send the gpu back 2 hours ago!!! The store said ,they check if the problem is existing and i will get full refound or new gpu!
I try any combination both cables on both psu connectors
on both gpus old and new
with or without extension braided cables
any combination works fine on old gpu
any combination in rx6800 triger the psu protection if any cable goes on right gpu connector!!!
I can't understant one weird thing (i get more coil whine in my old gpu now)
can the power supply get damaged from the new gpu situation?

TRENDING THREADS