Question New GPU - - - no display and black screen with cursor With old GPU ?

Jun 29, 2023
Hi guys!
I will share my "Little" Journey.
I wanted to upgrade my GPU so I bought an RX 6800 installed it (driver too) and worked perfectly for about 3 days. At the 4.day my screen went black after a few minutes and after it seems to be shutting down, but I can hear that's something still working in the PC.
So I tought it was a PSU problem so i bought a new CoolerMaster 750W. Still the same, goes black after a Few mins. Then i tried update my BIOS, still nothing. With the Old GPU (RX 580) it was working at this point. Tried doing a CMOS reset, still nothing. tried to Change sockets, still nothing. uninstalling my old GPU driver.

With old GPU:
From this point on the screen is black and I have a cursor that's loading and that's it. Tried to start it in safe mode still black screen but without a cursor
I can see the Win starting, but when the sign in would pop up it goes black with the cursor loading.
Tried starting it in safe mode still black everything

With New GPU:
From this point on Windows starts with black screen.
but I can hear it, like i hear the sticky key notification sounds and such.
Also Tried Win reinstall nothing happened.

What else can I try to make some of my GPU working again? (I'd prefer the new one, but im not picky rn)
Can the Motherboard be the problem?

Old Setup:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: RX 580
PSU: Cooler Master 600w Bronze
MotherBoard: B540 x Gaming

New Setup:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
RX 6800
CM 750w gold
B540 x Gaming (Gigabyte)

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What are the *exact* PSUs involved? Not just wattage and 80 Plus rating. There are some really quite awful Cooler Masters at that first wattage range that should never be used with an expensive GPU (or frankly, the old RX 580), and my initial worry is damage.

Stupid question,

But when you reinstalled your rx580, did you pull the 6800 out?

The black screen with a cursor makes it sound like the computer thinks you have multiple monitors and you are connected to monitor 2. Until you extend or clone the display monitor 2 will not show up.

Did you truly reinstall windows? Does it boot into safe mode? Did you run DDU in safe mode?

Jun 29, 2023
What are the *exact* PSUs involved? Not just wattage and 80 Plus rating. There are some really quite awful Cooler Masters at that first wattage range that should never be used with an expensive GPU (or frankly, the old RX 580), and my initial worry is damage.
COOLER MASTER 750W MWE Gold v2 MPE-7501-AFAAG-EU
if this answers the question

Jun 29, 2023
Stupid question,

But when you reinstalled your rx580, did you pull the 6800 out?

The black screen with a cursor makes it sound like the computer thinks you have multiple monitors and you are connected to monitor 2. Until you extend or clone the display monitor 2 will not show up.

Did you truly reinstall windows? Does it boot into safe mode? Did you run DDU in safe mode?
yes i did pull out the Rx 580 I usually extend the monitors, but when i changed the gpu's I put only one in
if it does boot into safe mode i don't see anything so i have no idea.

i think i reinstalled it, but i will do a format and install when i get back home from a pendrive
and no i unistalled it in normal mode

Jun 29, 2023
Ohh and i forgot that with the RX6800 the PC started booting twice, i don't know if it did with the old one too. i don't think it did, but I don't trust myself.

Update:
Okay a clean install helped with the old one.
I give the new one to an IT guy to test it
To be honest it could be a bad cheap cable too. When booting it displays low res low data rate for compatibility. If you use a high bandwidth monitor like I do 1440p/165Hz the cable may be dropping out. Try swapping them.

But as you said you could see the cursor, I'm betting you windows install is thinking you have multiple monitors. DDU in safe mode will fix this.

Honestly, it just sounds like the RX 6800 is defective. Have you tried putting it into a difference PC? If the RX 580 works right away but the RX 6800 doesn't, Occam's Razor says that the RX 6800 is the problem.

Jun 29, 2023
Honestly, it just sounds like the RX 6800 is defective. Have you tried putting it into a difference PC? If the RX 580 works right away but the RX 6800 doesn't, Occam's Razor says that the RX 6800 is the problem.
Sorry for not updating, but yeah You are probably right, the IT guy tested it with 3 different Pc and nothing happened. So finally i sent it back with warranty yesterday. We will see what's gonna happen.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Jun 29, 2023
Hey, Guys!
The warranty place sent it back to me with the note "it don't have a problem." So i installed it and tried to install the amd software. Before i installed it goes black. Restart and i could install it now. Doing a stress test for 5min. It goes black around 3min. During the test the max temp was around 60 C, So prob not overheating.
Any idea?
Could the Warranty place missed something? (From what i know they only got the "don't give signal "message. So maybe they didn't run a stress test on it, Just started it and think its ok?
Or the motherboard is at fault?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023
Alright,
I sent back to the warranty place with the "it shuts down after about 5mins. Pls do something" message.
And today i finally get the reply "it has some problem, we will send back the money".
what I think the old PSU messed it up. just like @DSzymborski and @Avro Arrow said.
thanks a bunch for helping me.
One of the best community I experienced.