[SOLVED] New GPU or start new build?

Jul 16, 2019
My GPU (Asus GTX580) recently died completely, I've removed it from my system and everything else works fine. I've yet to test the GPU on a other system to see what the specific problem was but in the meantime I need a new GPU for my old system that I still use. Or, do I abandon this system as not worth it? I'd like to keep using it for budget reasons though.

•Former GPU: asus gtx 580
•Mobo: Asus p8z68-v (not pro) only supports ddr3 and apparently only up to 2000mhz
•cpu: intel i5 2500k
•ram: 8gb 2x4gb g.skill ddr3 (the blue ones?)
•hdd: 2x1tb western digital black
•psu: xfx 750w
•heatsink: noctua dh14 or similar
•OS win10 home 64bit
•1x monitor at 1920x1080p but I Did have 2 monitors for ages.

I'd like to squeeze whatever I can from this system, I know it's 10 years old.
I was looking at the gtx1050ti or maybe 1060 if I can find a good price. That's my budget really.r0
Can anyone offer me some advice?
Not sure whether to stick in a cheaper gpu or start over.
Thanks

Solution
2500K is still a good processor, particularly if you have overclocked a bit.

I would buy a gpu replacement that is a nice bump in capability.
A GTX1660 or better, I think.
Particularly if you play fast action games that are gated by the graphics card.
It can be carried forward to a new build in the future.

When you have a gpu that you can test with
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

To upgrade your cpu, you are also looking at a new motherboard and ddr4 ram.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
1060 will be great for 1080p, stick to the 3gb version unless you can get a good deal on the 6gb (open box microcenter/amazon).
make sure to crank up settings ingame/Nvidia panel to have most load on the gpu (less on cpu).

use the DDU cleaner in safe mode after uninstalling all gpu related driver/software (check the settings and mark all amd/nv/moni related boxes), select clean/shutdown, and once its powered down, install the new card.

DDU cleaner

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Burton

g-unit1111

Titan
It will be cheaper to get a new GPU instead of building a new rig. You will need a complete overhaul and it will be expensive to get a new rig, and probably over your budget. I would get the a GPU now, then consider getting a new platform upgrade later and you can use your GPU for it.

The bad thing is that I don't know how much longer a 2500K will be viable. Honestly I think the better upgrade path, for the amount that you would spend on a new GPU you could put that towards a decent Ryzen or Intel CPU, motherboard and RAM and then you could use everything else that you have. Once that's done, then you get the new GPU.

2500K is still a good processor, particularly if you have overclocked a bit.

I would buy a gpu replacement that is a nice bump in capability.
A GTX1660 or better, I think.
Particularly if you play fast action games that are gated by the graphics card.
It can be carried forward to a new build in the future.

When you have a gpu that you can test with
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

To upgrade your cpu, you are also looking at a new motherboard and ddr4 ram.

Solution

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
most games at 1080p and up, will bottleneck on the gpu (except for the biggest single chip unit),
so anytime you want the biggest gain, replace the gpu.
since high fps/refresh rate gaming was never mentioned, running the at 60/75Hz,
will keep bottleneck on the gpu.

@g-unit1111
he clearly states the budget, and even if i ignore the used stuff,
any new 1060 will be around 2-300$ (3/6gb)
please show me how you want to upgrade cpu/mb/ram to something
that is not only "future proof", but also significantly better within that bracket...

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019
Thanks for all your help.

I've decided to abandon this rig and face reality that I need to start a new build. The more I think about my 2500k and my ddr3 mobo it pushed me towards selling up and starting new.

g-unit1111

Titan
most games at 1080p and up, will bottleneck on the gpu (except for the biggest single chip unit),
so anytime you want the biggest gain, replace the gpu.
since high fps/refresh rate gaming was never mentioned, running the at 60/75Hz,
will keep bottleneck on the gpu.

@g-unit1111
he clearly states the budget, and even if i ignore the used stuff,
any new 1060 will be around 2-300$ (3/6gb)
please show me how you want to upgrade cpu/mb/ram to something
that is not only "future proof", but also significantly better within that bracket...

A Ryzen 2600 + B450 + 16GB of Corsair RAM will easily fall within that price. A 2060 costs around the $380 mark, which is also what the current price of a 1060 6GB is. With that $380 you could easily purchase:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($133.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($126.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($84.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $344.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-09 12:21 EDT-0400

You could even upgrade to a 2700X and still come in under $400. Then you can get a GPU upgrade after that.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
as a 1050ti was one option i have to assume he meant the 3gb not really 6, at least price wise i think.
you can get a 1060 3gb as open box from amazon, so i was looking at around 150-200.

sure, once we're looking at 6gb and new, its a different story.
but with the gpu being dead, not really an option to upgrade anything else

g-unit1111

Titan
as a 1050ti was one option i have to assume he meant the 3gb not really 6, at least price wise i think.
you can get a 1060 3gb as open box from amazon, so i was looking at around 150-200.

sure, once we're looking at 6gb and new, its a different story.
but with the gpu being dead, not really an option to upgrade anything else

No, do not buy open box under any circumstances. These are GPUs that have been returned for whatever reason and you don't know what you are going to get. And there's a very strong possibility that you won't be able to return these and they most likely won't be covered under warranty.

You may save money in the short run, but in the long run it's a bad idea no matter which way you look at it.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
i have purchased about 10 gpus as open box, roughly 50 to 50 spread between micro center and amazon.
both offer 30 day return. one card out of all was defective and showed that during first bench/gaming.
not to buy any part just because its used, is crap.
as well as that the poster has to make that decision, not us. not as long as we aren't paying for it.

Funny how many ppl on this planet buy used cars, not knowing how the car was driven by prior owners, nor does any dealer/seller will spend the money and time to take apart the engine/transmission or any other important part, yet are willing to spend thousands..
Yeah, never buy anything used... 😂

Last edited: