Question New GPU - System Boots but after Seconds Two Red Lights Flash and Shutsdown

cryingdaily

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
Hi, video of error here: View: https://imgur.com/kUS3cAT

Build list of PC here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Z8fYsh

I replaced my GTX 970 with an AMD RX 6800 and my PC no longer boots. I connected two seperate 8Pin power copnnectors too and it still doesn't boot. Just two red flashes on the GPU and it restarts only to repeat this.

I have a 650w PSU which on the GPU box says it's enough, but on the XFX website says it may need a 750w minimum PSU. However, would this actually prevent it from booting? Do I have a faulty GPU here?

are the PSU cables from this specific PSU? were these delivered with this PSU?

try a different video cable to the monitor. HDMI or DP cable or different video port

which white LED is glowing shortly before the system restarts?

does it still boot with the old GPU?

is the BIOS of the motherboard up to date?

this GPU has a switch on its side, switch it to the other position while the system is powered off.

edit:
are the fans spinning of the GPU?

Last edited:

cryingdaily

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022

try a different video cable to the monitor. HDMI or DP cable or different video port

this GPU has a switch on its side, switch it to the other position while the system is powered off.

Cables are from this PSU, yes.

Video cable doesn't change anything. Tried DP, HDMI and no cable.

White LED is from the mobo.

System boots and runs fine with old GPU.

BIOS flashed to latest.

Not tried the switch yet, what does it do?

cryingdaily

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022

edit:
are the fans spinning of the GPU?
Yes the GPU fans start spinning

cryingdaily

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
it´s a bios switch, just try if it works differently or not, if not, just switch back

there are several white leds, is the gpu led on while restart?
The white LED you see there is from the motherboard, it's underneath the GPU. The GPU itself has no LED apart from the two red ones you see in the video near the power cables.

cryingdaily

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
it´s a bios switch, just try if it works differently or not, if not, just switch back

there are several white leds, is the gpu led on while restart?
DUDE YOU'RE A LEGEND. IT WAS THE SWITCH?

I flicked it all the way to the right, it was originally dead centre, and it worked.

I then looked it up and found that the right is balanced mode and the left is "rage mode". So I turned it off and flicked it to the left to put it in rage mode and it's working fine. Drivers installed and system functioning. Thank you so much I have no idea why having it in the middle position causes the error we see in the video but hey, whatever.

Reactions: helpstar