[SOLVED] New Graphics card boots once, runs for 1 minute, then doesn't boot for a while

May 15, 2020
I just bought a new GPU to spruce up my older rig. After I plugged it it in, and connected the power cables, it booted no problem then shut down after a minute or so. I spent all day trouble shooting and restarting and the whole night it didn't boot up again. Then when I try to figure it out this morning it did the same thing: boot for a minute then shut down.

I had an old GPU (660 ti) that I uninstalled a few months ago just because it was old and kept shutting down after overheating. I used just the motherboard's integrated graphics for a while then decided to treat myself with a new monitor and GPU.

Here are my specs:
Intel i5-3570K 3.40GHz
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
I have 2 4G Kingston HyperX blu RAM (I'm not sure how to find more specs on it)
New GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra (08G-P4-3163-KR )
Old GPU (not sure that it matters, but hey why not) EVGA GTX 660 Ti
Corsair CX600M Model 75-002018
I have 2 Hard Drives, 1 SSD 110GB and 1 Disk Drive 2TB
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Not sure if this matters but the monitor I got for the new GPU is an ACER Predator XB241H

So, I've done a number of things to try to get it fixed.
First Step, restart. No good.
Next, reseat GPU and fix cables. No good.
C: Try different DP and HDMI slots. no good.
4. Try a new GPU slot on the motherboard. no good.
Then, delete older graphics card drivers. No good. (I'm not sure if a DDU is necessary because both cards are Nvidia... ) I tried installing the new drivers, but it said the software isn't compatible with my version of windows and the hardware I'm using. I wasn't even able to install the correct drivers because my GPU isn't detected.
After, look in Bios settings for chipset settings to enable the GPU, but can't find the right setting in Bios.
Last, consider updating Bios but seems pretty serious and I don't want to do it if I don't have to.

I looked up my parts in a compatibility guide, and everything seems to be ok. I'm convinced all of the components work and that it's just setting i need to switch that I can't find. Maybe buy some extra RAM.
Thanks for all of your help and I appreciate your time spent on my problem!

Solution
So it's 1 main cable with 4 separate plugs. there are 2 plugs with 6 pins and 2 plugs with 2 pins. so I can get 1 (8 pin (6+2)) and 1 (6 pin) to power the GPU. I just looked at it and noticed something though. I need 1 (8pin) and 1 (6pin) for my GPU, but it looks like some of the connections on my 6 pin are being reused from the 8 pin. I don't have 14 fresh pins out of the PSU.
ok it may be a psu problem in windows they is a low power mode in will lower performance but it should be stable the minimum psu for this card is 550w so that mixed with you old psu could be causing it to turn off if i was you i would put it in low power mode and start looking for a 650w or 700w psu form any good brands like corsair or evga
May 15, 2020
I just bought a new GPU to spruce up my older rig. After I plugged it it in, and connected the power cables, it booted no problem then shut down after a minute or so. I spent all day trouble shooting and restarting and the whole night it didn't boot up again. Then when I try to figure it out this morning it did the same thing: boot for a minute then shut down.

I had an old GPU (660 ti) that I uninstalled a few months ago just because it was old and kept shutting down after overheating. I used just the motherboard's integrated graphics for a while then decided to treat myself with a new monitor and GPU.

Here are my specs:
Intel i5-3570K 3.40GHz
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
I have 2 4G Kingston HyperX blu RAM (I'm not sure how to find more specs on it)
New GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra (08G-P4-3163-KR )
Old GPU (not sure that it matters, but hey why not) EVGA GTX 660 Ti
Corsair CX600M Model 75-002018
I have 2 Hard Drives, 1 SSD 110GB and 1 Disk Drive 2TB
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Not sure if this matters but the monitor I got for the new GPU is an ACER Predator XB241H

So, I've done a number of things to try to get it fixed.
First Step, restart. No good.
Next, reseat GPU and fix cables. No good.
C: Try different DP and HDMI slots. no good.
4. Try a new GPU slot on the motherboard. no good.
Then, delete older graphics card drivers. No good. (I'm not sure if a DDU is necessary because both cards are Nvidia... ) I tried installing the new drivers, but it said the software isn't compatible with my version of windows and the hardware I'm using. I wasn't even able to install the correct drivers because my GPU isn't detected.
After, look in Bios settings for chipset settings to enable the GPU, but can't find the right setting in Bios.
Last, consider updating Bios but seems pretty serious and I don't want to do it if I don't have to.

I looked up my parts in a compatibility guide, and everything seems to be ok. I'm convinced all of the components work and that it's just setting i need to switch that I can't find. Maybe buy some extra RAM.
Thanks for all of your help and I appreciate your time spent on my problem!
hey what new gpu did you get because this looks like the psu could be too week for the card. also how old is the unit itself as older psus even though their the same model may not have the right requirements the card is pulling.

May 15, 2020
hey what new gpu did you get because this looks like the psu could be too week for the card. also how old is the unit itself

The new GPU is EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra (08G-P4-3163-KR )
It says the minimum req on the GPU is 550W, and the PSU I have is 600W. I got the PSU in like 2012 or something, so it is pretty old.

May 15, 2020
The new GPU is EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra (08G-P4-3163-KR )
It says the minimum req on the GPU is 550W, and the PSU I have is 600W. I got the PSU in like 2012 or something, so it is pretty old.
that psu could be the problem if your cpu is overclocked it will pull more wattage as well. dose the psu have the needed pcie connectors or did you use molex to 6 or 8 pin adapter

May 15, 2020
that psu could be the problem if your cpu is overclocked it will pull more wattage as well. dose the psu have the needed pcie connectors or did you use molex to 6 or 8 pin adapter
I haven't played with the clock speeds on the CPU so i doubt it's overclocked. As for the connectors, it's hooked up with 1 8 pin and 1 6 pin pcei cables.

May 15, 2020
I haven't played with the clock speeds on the CPU so i doubt it's overclocked. As for the connectors, it's hooked up with 1 8 pin and 1 6 pin pcei cables.
are the 6 and 9 pin pcie and separate cables and if not do you have 1 cable spare so 1 goes into the 6 one goes into the 8 also in windows turn on low power mode you will lose performance but it should be stable

Reactions: Daegren
May 15, 2020
So it's 1 main cable with 4 separate plugs. there are 2 plugs with 6 pins and 2 plugs with 2 pins. so I can get 1 (8 pin (6+2)) and 1 (6 pin) to power the GPU. I just looked at it and noticed something though. I need 1 (8pin) and 1 (6pin) for my GPU, but it looks like some of the connections on my 6 pin are being reused from the 8 pin. I don't have 14 fresh pins out of the PSU.

May 15, 2020
ok it may be a psu problem in windows they is a low power mode in will lower performance but it should be stable the minimum psu for this card is 550w so that mixed with you old psu could be causing it to turn off if i was you i would put it in low power mode and start looking for a 650w or 700w psu form any good brands like corsair or evga

Reactions: Daegren
Solution
May 15, 2020
It makes sense that it might be power issue. it's not booting at all. I was hoping I wouldn't need to buy any more components, but such is life. Thanks for your time and effort!

May 15, 2020
It makes sense that it might be power issue. it's not booting at all. I was hoping I wouldn't need to buy any more components, but such is life. Thanks for your time and effort!
if your in the uk they are some good deals for 700w psus for round £40-£50 on amazon and scan
if you still have the old 660 ti i would sell that for as much as you can get and scrape together enough for a nice quality psu

May 15, 2020