muddy777

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
I need to buy new graphica card for my pc,
Below is my system infomation
I use my pc at least 15 hours everyday, need a good cooling fan, sometimes I don't turn it off for many days
I dont play games, I have applications running and have 20-30 IE windows open all day, may need to have a good deal of memory
I can spend up to $350

what graphics card do you recommend?

my old graphics card was NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240, want to buy a better card

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model Studio XPS 435MT
Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
Total available graphics memory 4606 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 3582 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.15.11.8627
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1200
DirectX version DirectX 10

If you are not gaming and only need it for desktop applications the GTS240 is a great card. What makes you think you need something better? The only way you would need something more is if you are doing multimedia stuff, which that card should handle just fine, or use some sort or rendering or 3D modeling apps.

muddy777

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
tHE PROBLEM IS the graphics card GETS very HOT, EVEN though i dont play games and the fan starts to make noise, i have to trun it off for it o cool down

even after i made the changes that was recommended to me here it gets hot http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=33&post=293569&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

maybe it gets so hot because its on all the time, i dont know, or maybe the fan is not good

The automatic windows update might have downloaded and installed the latest video card drivers for your card thereby changing your previously customized settings.. Its good if its working all well now.. You might want to save your current settings as a different profile to be used in any such future occurrances.. Oh BTW, i too agree with other comments on you not requiring to upgrade to any better card.. Your current card is adequate for your requirements and then some gaming also..