New Hard Disk WD-500GB Not detected in BIOS

suresh1391

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Hello,
I have 2 HDD 160GB(sata)currently running with OS(windows 7 Home basic) and new HDD 500GB(WD)sata(32MB cache).

My problem is the 500GB hdd wont detect in BIOS it shows no model number & 0.0GB size, the sata modes are set to Native IDE. do i have to install sata drivers for new one or there is real problem with hdd its self..

Please suggest me how i should proceed..I still have HDD under warrenty..

suresh1391

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
2 hdds are not in RAID,i did'nt try in AHCI mode. please tell me how to try AHCI mode

i have tried it in Legacy IDE /Native IDE
it reports only 0.0GB in Legacy IDE /Native IDE it shows my DVD ROM name and 0.0GB some thing weird

thnx for ur reply..

In BIOS, if the legacy IDE is disabled, that automatically means AHCI in enabled.
Also, you might want to try disconnecting the OS HDD and leave only the 500GB HDD connected, then rebooting. Try the above and all the combinations in BIOS to get it detected( Make note of the original configuration for later, when you re-connect the OS HDD). If still not detected, likely the drive is bad and will need replacing. Good thing is in warranty.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
For purposes of detecting in BIOS, it does not matter whether you have the SATA Port Mode set to IDE Emulation, AHCI, etc. Those only matter for the ability of the OS to use the HDD. If your BIOS cannot detect the new HDD, VERY likely it is faulty. However, three other possibilities need checking.

1. Try changing the power supply and data cables you are using for the new HDD. Maybe try using the cables already working on your old drives. Maybe you have a bad cable.
2. Try connecting to another SATA port in case your port is faulty.
3. In the BIOS, is the SATA port you are trying to use Enabled?

suresh1391

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

Ok thanks for info... i have tried it through new cables but no chance, probably it is faulty i also tested it with Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools. it reports "No devices connected" So get it replaced....

suresh1391

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

i have tried it through new cables but no chance,......i am going to get it replaced...thnx 4 replying...