New hard drive making grinding noises

Triplerainboo

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
After my old hard drive was making grinding noises like coffee brewing, I replaced it. I installed the new one and now it's making the same noise.

Solution
Hey there, Triplerainboo.

Try the drive with a different SATA port and different cables. It would be even better if you could try it with a different computer as well. Backup any important data which you might have written on it, just to be on the safe side. After that go ahead and download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool to test the drive and see if anything unusual pops-up.
Even if it turns out that the drive is damaged, this could be a pure coincidence, so you could just go ahead and RMA it since it's new and should be under warranty.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD
Hey there, Triplerainboo.

Try the drive with a different SATA port and different cables. It would be even better if you could try it with a different computer as well. Backup any important data which you might have written on it, just to be on the safe side. After that go ahead and download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool to test the drive and see if anything unusual pops-up.
Even if it turns out that the drive is damaged, this could be a pure coincidence, so you could just go ahead and RMA it since it's new and should be under warranty.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Solution