[SOLVED] New HDD making noise when idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFreaky

Reputable
Mar 18, 2016
I recently purchased a new Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD and just installed it today. When I turned on my PC I noticed a weird sound that happens every few seconds when the drive is idle. Seagates Seatools has not found any issues and as soon as the drive is active, the sound stops.
Does anyone know what causes it, because I have no idea?

The noise:
View: https://youtu.be/w0qaxF5Q8go

Solution
Sounds like the heads are parking/resetting.
Just to be sure, verify that you don't have any power management software that is trying to put the drive to sleep. If not - return it.

MrFreaky

Reputable
Mar 18, 2016
Sounds like the heads are parking/resetting.
Just to be sure, verify that you don't have any power management software that is trying to put the drive to sleep. If not - return it.
I tried turning off disk monitoring in programs like HWiNFO and CAM, and that seems to have stopped the noise from happening all the time. So maybe they just keep waking up the drive every few seconds causing the parking/resetting?
Is there a way to see which program is putting the drive to sleep all the time? Windows power settings is set to only do it after 20 min inactivity, so that shouldn't be it.

Temporarily set your power plan to high performance, go into change plan settings, change advanced..., and make sure the hard drive isn't getting turned off (set it to 0). Then turn off/close any hard drive softwares. If the issue still occurs, return the drive.

MrFreaky

Reputable
Mar 18, 2016
Temporarily set your power plan to high performance, go into change plan settings, change advanced..., and make sure the hard drive isn't getting turned off (set it to 0). Then turn off/close any hard drive softwares. If the issue still occurs, return the drive.
It has somewhat helped. The click still happens once in while, but it's a lot less frequent than before. Can't think of any other program that might be waking it up, so I'm probably just going to see if I can return it.
Thanks for the help.

Dec 23, 2019
I had this issue too. Go to your tray and exit or quit the SeaTools program. As soon as you do the seeking sound from the drive will stop. You can set it to not start when you log in, or what I did is just uninstall it.

Mar 10, 2020
I recently purchased a new Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD and just installed it today. When I turned on my PC I noticed a weird sound that happens every few seconds when the drive is idle. Seagates Seatools has not found any issues and as soon as the drive is active, the sound stops.
Does anyone know what causes it, because I have no idea?

The noise:
View: https://youtu.be/w0qaxF5Q8go

Hi, I've been having the exact same noise with my HDD and you know what, I'm having the exact same HDD as you. Seagate 2TB.

I checked the HDD with a lot of software and all say the HDD is fine and healthy. I also notice that it usually happens when the HDD is idle and the noise goes away when it's engaged. (Everything is the same to your case)

I've come across this video and it says it's a seagate defrag thing (auto defrag the HDD when idle to keep HDD healthy). I hope it helps and just don't worry.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM6kUBA03rw

Oct 16, 2020
I have the exact same issue.

Like the poster MrFreaky mentioned that closing out of CAM helped stop the sound. Closing out of any of the software programs that are monitoring the computer/hard-drive usage (such as MSI's Dragon Center) also stopped the clicking sound from being as frequent, now it rarely makes the parking noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.