Question New HDD scratching noise?

Jun 22, 2019
So I recently built a new PC, and after playing on it for about 2 months I began to hear loud noises coming from the hard drive. I figured I had a dead drive, and since Windows is on my 240Gb SSD, I didnt have any issues with replacing it. So I bought a new one and swapped it. This new one is a 2TB Seagate drive. Hoping I'd have better luck, I installed it and immediately found that it was using 100% for no reason, but after a disk check this stopped.

However, I started installing games and found that whenever the HDD was in use, it would make a scratching noise. I can only describe it as the noise you hear when spraying bleach or disinfectant. It happens during the download, and then AFTER the download constantly until I restart the computer. Is this another sign of a dying/damaged drive, or can it be ignored? I'm still well within my return window, but this whole HDD situation is driving me insane.

Thanks.

Specs:
i7-8700k
RTX 2080
16GB RAM
240GB SSD (Windows 10 Installed)
2TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5inch HDD

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full hardware specs and OS.

Have you run Seagate's Seatools on the drive? (Caution: remember that anything you do could cause further damage and/or loss of data.)

Not so sure about your description of the noise: HDDs will click and screech perhaps.

If the noise is more likely "spraying bleach or disinfectant" (interesting choice of words) that, to me, would be more of a hiss.

Are you very sure that the sound is actually from the HDD and not a fan?

Are you certain that the HDD is correctly installed and not overly tightened into place. Or loose even....

Jun 22, 2019
Update your post to include full hardware specs and OS.

Have you run Seagate's Seatools on the drive? (Caution: remember that anything you do could cause further damage and/or loss of data.)

Not so sure about your description of the noise: HDDs will click and screech perhaps.

If the noise is more likely "spraying bleach or disinfectant" (interesting choice of words) that, to me, would be more of a hiss.

Are you very sure that the sound is actually from the HDD and not a fan?

Are you certain that the HDD is correctly installed and not overly tightened into place. Or loose even....

Added the specs to the post

After running both fast and long tests on the drive on SeaTools, I got the message "Fix All Fast/Long - Pass". I can only assume thats good?

Im positive that the hard drive is the thing making the noise. It only occurs when the drive is in use, and I even disconnected the drive and downloaded onto my SSD, and found that the noise wasnt present.

The drive is secured in place, not too tight but fixed enough so that theres no way it should be loose.

Im well within my return limit for this drive, so replacing it shouldnt be too much hassle. Its just an irritance since this is the second HDD to balls up.

(Thanks for the fast reply btw)

TRENDING THREADS