[SOLVED] new HP Spectre X360 power button/bootup issues

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
TH forum brain trust-

HP Spectre X360 Convertible 145-ea000

Windows 10

I just got this laptop brand new about a month ago, replacing an older HP Spectre X360.

With this new Spectre I'm having problems getting the computer to boot up when I press the power button and/or open the laptop lid. I have the Windows settings set up to put my computer into hibernation when I close the lid (plugged in or on battery), for example, but when I open the lid the computer doesn't come out of hibernation. I try pressing the power button multiple times of course pausing to wait for a computer response (short press first, long presses, etc.) and nothing usually happens.

I've tried changing the settings with lid closure, changing it to putting the computer to sleep, shutting down the computer, etc., but no matter what I do, when I open the lid nothing happens, forcing me to revert to power button usage. And when I press that power button, intermittently, nothing happens either. I have no idea if this is a hardware issue (bad power button) or a lid position sensing issue (computer not coming out of hibernation or sleep because it's not sensing the lid opening) or a software issue (Windows 10 not coming out of sleep/hibernation as it should when I open t open the lid).

Any help appreciated. It's frustrating spending 3-5 minutes every time I want to turn the computer back on playing with the power button in order to get this thing to boot up. Thanks!

Solution
Nothing in the BIOS about the lid opening and closing. It appears to be up to date, too.

OK, so one of the issues is solved and the solution wasn't in the BIOS.

If the power button is still not working right, I think that the connection of the I/O cable to the motherboard needs to be reseated and the I/O cable should be checked for anything torn. Again, I wouldn't recommend doing that if the laptop is under warranty or if you aren't comfortable opening up a laptop. You should ask HP to fix that for you.

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
Since it happens with both the lid and the power button, I'd assume it's a BIOS problem. Check the BIOS and see if there are options related to opening the lid. Also, make sure that the BIOS is up to date.

There's an interesting solution on this thread: Solved: Spectre x360 15 won't wake up without pressing power button ... - HP Support Community - 8036300
Not sure how that option was related to it, but give it a try.

The laptop is a month old, so it's in warranty. HP should be able to support this, as it's likely a software issue.

As for the power button, You can check the connection from the power button to the motherboard, although I wouldn't recommend doing that if it's in warranty as it requires opening up your laptop. I think if you don't find a solution to the lid problem, the power button issue is probably related to it.
If you do find a solution, the power button might have it's own problem, and that I think would be hardware-related.

Reactions: ualdriver

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Since it happens with both the lid and the power button, I'd assume it's a BIOS problem. Check the BIOS and see if there are options related to opening the lid. Also, make sure that the BIOS is up to date.

There's an interesting solution on this thread: Solved: Spectre x360 15 won't wake up without pressing power button ... - HP Support Community - 8036300

As for the power button, You can check the connection from the power button to the motherboard, although I wouldn't recommend doing that if it's in warranty as it requires opening up your laptop. I think if you don't find a solution to the lid problem, the power button issue is probably related to it.
If you do find a solution, the power button might have it's own problem, and that I think would be hardware-related.

Thanks Mr. Mike. That link you gave me did help. It wasn't waking from sleep either when I opened the lid either but now it is after I followed the steps from the HP support community.

Will check the BIOS now and see what that does for me.

Reactions: mrmike16

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
Nothing in the BIOS about the lid opening and closing. It appears to be up to date, too.

OK, so one of the issues is solved and the solution wasn't in the BIOS.

If the power button is still not working right, I think that the connection of the I/O cable to the motherboard needs to be reseated and the I/O cable should be checked for anything torn. Again, I wouldn't recommend doing that if the laptop is under warranty or if you aren't comfortable opening up a laptop. You should ask HP to fix that for you.

Solution