Question New i5-11400 overheating to 100°C in games with stock cooler.

Dec 31, 2021
Hello everyone and sorry for any errors in the language, new dumbass here with some possibly obvious question but i just bought a new processor, a i5-11400 with an B560M Aorus MOBO since my previous MOBO was dying and i couldn't find one to hold my old i5-4570.
So, i did the deed, exchanged the old MOBO for the new one, all 4 pins of the stock cooler are correctly placed and i used some from what i believe good quality thermal paste, and i recently checked and the plastic isn't there as i read that could be the cause, my case is an old Sentey case which is huge and it has alot of space inside it.
Now my old 4570 with it's old stock cooler never went quite so high in temps in the last 6-7 years i used it, and when i first installed Steam and went to play Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous i noticed some noise(I believe this noise is the coolers from my GTX 970 since in some games that CPU usage isn't as high the noise still happens but the temps stay at 50°C on the processor) , so i checked on HWMonitor and every single core of the processor was at 100°C which made me quite worried so i closed and uninstalled the game for the moment, but as i said the 4570 handled this with the least of problems possible, i checked and the back cooler of my build is working as intended throwing the hot air out.

So moving on i tried some other indie games like Greak which is rather small and it also took my CPU to 100°C in like 30 seconds from the 40°C it was while idling.

I opened my case and from all i could see the cooler is working as intended, there is enough thermic paste from what i saw, only problem is that i only have a single other fan in the case since the other 2 went to the shadow realm some time ago, but again that was before the change and the old processor and it's cooler never got to temps that high.

Any help would be hugely appreciated since i come from a rather poor country and this change of pieces was rather expensive to me and i would be heartbroken to see any of it break.

Edit : Also i should mention that here in my country it's rare to impossible to see any of the more potent air coolers, i was thinking of buying a deepcool AIO 240mm or a corsair H60 120mm to see if they would help but from what i read they reduce temps in like 15°C so that would still be quite alarming at 85°C.
Also i had to reduce the maximum power/output/ don't know the word in english from the CPU from 100% to 95%, it helped alot in most games but the ones i did mention here Greak and Pathfinder still go up to 100°C, but other than that most normal use doesn't go above 55°C.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Coolers with push-pins are tricky to install. Did you do 2 corners(top-left + bottom-right, and top-right + bottom-left) at the same time, and did they produce an audible CLICK? They need to click.

Bigger chassis isn't always better. Air has to travel farther to get to the components that need it, and that gives it more time to lose pressure, leading to weaker cooling.
Plus you just have 1-2 fans - if I read that part correctly - in there? Ouch.

11400 runs hotter than 4570. Smaller process node(14nm Vs 22nm) = greater thermal density in the smaller package. More cache, more cores... overall harder to cool than the old 4570 was.

AIOs do best installed against an open mesh panel. They are also more expensive than air coolers - the price tag can be deceptive, as they get you in cost over time.
So if budget is that tight, I'd suggest avoiding them, unless your store's air cooling options are really that bad. Even a $30 air cooler should be able to handle an 11400, but you likely need more chassis fans too.

Reactions: Zenspy
Dec 31, 2021
So there's only 1 case fan? that could be your issue and should be easy to tell, just feel the air blowing out when you're playing a game, if it's very hot air then you don't have enough airflow to be able to cool it down and its simply filling the case with hot air.
The air blowing out is chill even when playing and that almost lead me to believe that the readings were wrong, but better safe than sorry, and there are actually 2 fans 1 on the back and 1 on the top at the moment, before there were 3 and the CPU one.

Coolers with push-pins are tricky to install. Did you do 2 corners(top-left + bottom-right, and top-right + bottom-left) at the same time, and did they produce an audible CLICK? They need to click.

Bigger chassis isn't always better. Air has to travel farther to get to the components that need it, and that gives it more time to lose pressure, leading to weaker cooling.
Plus you just have 1-2 fans - if I read that part correctly - in there? Ouch.

11400 runs hotter than 4570. Smaller process node(14nm Vs 22nm) = greater thermal density in the smaller package. More cache, more cores... overall harder to cool than the old 4570 was.

AIOs do best installed against an open mesh panel. They are also more expensive than air coolers - the price tag can be deceptive, as they get you in cost over time.
So if budget is that tight, I'd suggest avoiding them, unless your store's air cooling options are really that bad. Even a $30 air cooler should be able to handle an 11400, but you likely need more chassis fans too.
Yeah i'm pretty sure the installation was quite successful, all 4 black pins are sticking out on the other end of the MOBO.
Like i said where i live finding air coolers is hard, there are only the really cheap ones or ones that are way more expensive than water cooling for some reason, like 20 or 400 of my countries money, no in between, so a AIO Watercooler of 240mm from Deepcool is actually 300 atm, which is relatively cheap so that's why i was thinking about it.

Dec 31, 2021
I actually thought of buying a new chassis/case, but i was recommended against it, but i'm honestly quite oblivious on the subject at hand so if anyone thinks that the chassis could be the problem do tell, a new chassis or an AIO 240mm would probably be around the same price and i read on another topic here that a Cooler Master NR600 is quite a nice case so i've been thinking about getting one and some of the cheap air fans instead of the water cooler, but again i don't understand well enough.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The problem is not one single thing, so just fixing one of them won't have as much of an impact.
Right now, those are: the downdraft cooler isn't adequate, and you don't have enough fans running.

Like i said where i live finding air coolers is hard, there are only the really cheap ones or ones that are way more expensive than water cooling for some reason, like 20 or 400 of my countries money,
Show us. Provide links to some of these coolers.

Give us a link to the chassis too, if possible. If it's not possible, take some pictures and upload them here through imgur.com

Dec 31, 2021
The problem is not one single thing, so just fixing one of them won't have as much of an impact.
Right now, those are: the downdraft cooler isn't adequate, and you don't have enough fans running.

Show us. Give us links to some of these coolers.

Give us a link to the chassis too, if possible. If it's not possible, take some pictures and upload them here through imgur.com
Well i have no idea how amazon works so here's the link, if it doesn't work i'll take some pictures.

https://www.amazon.com.br/Masterfan-R4-C1Ds-12Fw-R1-Cooler-Master-COMPUTER_COMPONENT/dp/B07CSSB7F8/ref=sr_1_11?__mk_pt_BR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=19O63VKX4WFL0&keywords=cooler&qid=1640982486&sprefix=coo,aps,231&sr=8-11
https://www.amazon.com.br/Cooler-Gaming-V-LUMI-Vinik-29563/dp/B07SLDDP1J/ref=sr_1_9?__mk_pt_BR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=19O63VKX4WFL0&keywords=cooler&qid=1640982604&rnid=18726358011&s=computers&sprefix=coo,aps,231&sr=1-9

Those are the ones i could find when searching, and when looking through the listings there was one that is around 4x more expensive from cooler master, but the shipping is international to me apparently and it would only arrive in february, but i'll link here too.

https://www.amazon.com.br/Gabinete-Cooler-Master-Outros-Componentes/dp/B0788C4978/ref=sr_1_13?__mk_pt_BR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=1Q3F22MF6OVEP&keywords=cooler&qid=1640982350&sprefix=coole,aps,367&sr=8-13&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.6d798eae-cadf-45de-946a-f477d47705b9

And this here is the case/chassis that i want to buy.
https://www.amazon.com.br/gp/product/B07QM91RJQ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1ZZFT5FULY4LN&psc=1

And here is an almost replica of my current one but i couldn't find any pictures online, it's almost exactly like this one but without openings on top. other than that it looks exactly the same.

So any advice is greatly appreciated and i thank you for your time trying to help out already.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I meant links to the cpu air coolers you were referring to. The ones you said were, "20 or 400 of my countries money".

And here is an almost replica of my current one but i couldn't find any pictures online, it's almost exactly like this one but without openings on top. other than that it looks exactly the same.
Ok, so that one, but with no top ventilation, huh?
That pretty much limits AIO options to 120mm. Not great. A decent air cooler is going to be better - but I may change my mind once I see what these options are.

Dec 31, 2021
I meant links to the cpu air coolers you were referring to. The ones you said were, "20 or 400 of my countries money".

Ok, so that one, but with no top ventilation, huh?
That pretty much limits AIO options to 120mm. Not great. A decent air cooler is going to be better - but I may change my mind once I see what these options are.
https://www.kabum.com.br/produto/108805/air-cooler-corsair-a500-dual-fan-tower-120mm-ct-9010003-ww
I think this maybe it (only one i found), but this one is like almost 50% more expensive than a 240mm watercooler, but i have no idea what's better.

Edit looking further i found this one here too
https://www.amazon.com.br/Aircooler...mzn1.fos.db68964d-7c0e-4bb2-a95c-e5cb9e32eb12

But it's a cooler that goes on the processor if i'm reading this right, would this help with the airflow?

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021

So i looked into one of these, and it seems quite massive, i took a picture of the interior of my case atm : View: https://imgur.com/a/WXF4IhI

And it seems like the 8-pin cable would hinder the installation of it and any other air cooler for that matter, a friend of mine who understands alot about this but sadly lives in another country said that if i place the air cooler sideways and put the cable around it to reach where it needs to go there's no problem, anyone could confirm or deny that to me?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.kabum.com.br/produto/108805/air-cooler-corsair-a500-dual-fan-tower-120mm-ct-9010003-ww
I think this maybe it (only one i found), but this one is like almost 50% more expensive than a 240mm watercooler, but i have no idea what's better.

Edit looking further i found this one here too
https://www.amazon.com.br/Aircooler-Redragon-Iluminação-Rainbow-CC-9103/dp/B09HN59QQW/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=cooler+para+processador&qid=1640984093&sprefix=Cooler+para+proce,aps,223&sr=8-9&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.db68964d-7c0e-4bb2-a95c-e5cb9e32eb12

But it's a cooler that goes on the processor if i'm reading this right, would this help with the airflow?
Ok. That first one is garbage and not worth the investment, unless it's on a MAJOR sale. That cooler has a mounting plate defect
That Redragon cooler would be just fine for your 11400.

So, back to the beginning...
Problem: cpu temperatures get too high.
Causes:
1)Downdraft cooler isn't adequate for gaming loads.
2)Lack of surrounding fans.
Priority is to get a new cooler. Now, a new chassis COULD cover point 2, IF it comes with a few or more preinstalled fans.

So i looked into one of these, and it seems quite massive, i took a picture of the interior of my case atm : View: https://imgur.com/a/WXF4IhI

And it seems like the 8-pin cable would hinder the installation of it and any other air cooler for that matter, a friend of mine who understands alot about this but sadly lives in another country said that if i place the air cooler sideways and put the cable around it to reach where it needs to go there's no problem, anyone could confirm or deny that to me?
Wait... didn't you say that your chassis didn't have top ventilation? And you only had one fan?
I'm a little confused there...

Dec 31, 2021
Ok. That first one is garbage and not worth the investment, unless it's on a MAJOR sale. That cooler has a mounting plate defect
That Redragon cooler would be just fine for your 11400.

So, back to the beginning...
Problem: cpu temperatures get too high.
Causes:
1)Downdraft cooler isn't adequate for gaming loads.
2)Lack of surrounding fans.
Priority is to get a new cooler. Now, a new chassis COULD cover point 2, IF it comes with a few or more preinstalled fans.

Wait... didn't you say that your chassis didn't have top ventilation? And you only had one fan?
I'm a little confused there...
Those 2 top fans are kind of busted so i counted them out, as for top ventilation, i don't see any way for the air that goes up there to exit, i tried to remove the top of my case and it's stuck as all hell, it kind of have an outside cover that i imagine is mostly for aesthetics which i never managed to remove.

So kind of a TLDR, do you think that if i put that redragon air cooler, put 2 new fans on top where the busted ones are and manage to remove to top of the case that would solve the problems? Again sorry for probably obvious questions but this is my first time doing this all by myself.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Those 2 top fans are kind of busted so i counted them out, as for top ventilation, i don't see any way for the air that goes up there to exit, i tried to remove the top of my case and it's stuck as all hell, it kind of have an outside cover that i imagine is mostly for aesthetics which i never managed to remove.
Yeah, but there's still grilles up there, so it's possible for air to pass through.

Ok, so:
1)New cooler. That's still the #1 priority. The Redragon you linked earlier would work fine.
2-A)Replacement fans for the busted ones.
With the placement of the top-right one + the Redragon cooler, the top-right space can be left empty. If you leave it empty, the air cooler can draw air from up there.
If you choose to fill that space, regardless of intake or exhaust, it'll screw with airflow going to the cooler.

2-B)A new chassis that comes with a few extra fans. Problem with this one is the cost, compared to 2-A.

What would you like to do?

Dec 31, 2021
Yeah, but there's still grilles up there, so it's possible for air to pass through.

Ok, so:
1)New cooler. That's still the #1 priority. The Redragon you linked earlier would work fine.
2-A)Replacement fans for the busted ones.
With the placement of the top-right one + the Redragon cooler, the top-right space can be left empty. If you leave it empty, the air cooler can draw air from up there.
If you choose to fill that space, regardless of intake or exhaust, it'll screw with airflow going to the cooler.

2-B)A new chassis that comes with a few extra fans. Problem with this one is the cost, compared to 2-A.

What would you like to do?
I'll buy the air cooler and a new fan and see if that helps, if i manage to open the top of my case/chassis, if not then i'd figure it would be better to buy a new one, but from what i said if i leave one of the spaces void of fans and with the air cooler and a single fan that would also be good enough? But yeah this seems like it'll be great help, thanks for your time :)
I'll buy the cooler and the fan tomorrow after trying to open the case one more time.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I see another problem with the Redragon cooler you linked: it does not list LGA1200 compatibility so you will not be able to install it on your motherboard (although the description is in language I don't know so maybe I'm wrong).
LGA115x = 1200. The socket dimensions are the same.

but from what i said if i leave one of the spaces void of fans and with the air cooler and a single fan that would also be good enough?
Yes, it'll be better, unless you have something like a 3070 in there?

Dec 31, 2021
LGA115x = 1200. The socket dimensions are the same.

Yes, it'll be better, unless you have something like a 3070 in there?
Not yet but in the wonderland that is my country a 3070 is somehow cheaper than a 3060 and waaaay cheaper than a 3060ti, so who knows in the next year or so.

Also quick tidbit about air coolers, the redragon one says : "Potency in Watts 130W", does it use that much power? That's like double the amount my i5-11400 uses.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Also quick tidbit about air coolers, the redragon one says : "Potency in Watts 130W", does it use that much power? That's like double the amount my i5-11400 uses.
Not while gaming it does. The heat be coming from the gpu dumping its waste heat inside the PC.
You can fill that top-right slot to enhance gpu exhaust, but it's at a slight detriment to the air cooler.

Dec 31, 2021
Not while gaming it does. The heat be coming from the gpu dumping its waste heat inside the PC.
You can fill that top-right slot to enhance gpu exhaust, but it's at a slight detriment to the air cooler.
Alright thank you very much, if i ever do get to buy a 3070 i imagine i'll have to change the case for one that could handle more fans/coolers; Now i imagine this will be my last question, at least for now, i read some comments on the aircooler that say he is in the way of the RAM memory slots on some mobos or in the way of something else in others.

View: https://imgur.com/a/LgAdd2M

Do you think that would be the case with this one? (B560M)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
i read some comments on the aircooler that say he is in the way of the RAM memory slots on some mobos or in the way of something else in others.
I can't imagine what this 'something else' might be, but as for the other one...
The fan sits over, or blocks the 1st slot on some mobos that have only 2 memory slots.
For mobos with 4 - unless you're using all 4, it shouldn't be an issue. XMP profiles work better in the 2nd and 4th slots anyway.

Dec 31, 2021
https://www.kabum.com.br/produto/10...ador-scythe-mugen-5-rev-b-amd-intel-scmg-5100

You should actually see all 4 memory slots. Also a very good cooler.

https://cdna.pcpartpicker.com/stati...643.492f5e58a1a84e4205d182ea8a71f455.1600.jpg

The design moves to cooler more to the left.
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/5161zyeHxEL.jpg

EDIT You did a fresh install of windows when you changed hardware right? @Zenspy
Yup, as fresh as fresh could be, seeing as what kickstarted the whole process was my old SSD burning to hell so i had to buy a new one that never had nothing on it.

Dec 2, 2021
There's no way a 11400 gets too hot with the stock cooler in such short time. Unless it has some serious issues that 10400 didnt have. My 10400 never gets above 60C and I stream and game at the same time. I see people reaching 70C on 11400 while benchmarking, you need to figure out if you removed the packaging film, installed everything correctly and such.

Dec 31, 2021
There's no way a 11400 gets too hot with the stock cooler in such short time. Unless it has some serious issues that 10400 didnt have. My 10400 never gets above 60C and I stream and game at the same time. I see people reaching 70C on 11400 while benchmarking, you need to figure out if you removed the packaging film, installed everything correctly and such.
Yeah i was kinda fearful that it was faulty, i'm still not 100% sure it is not, but i bought some new cooler fans and an aircooler that will arrive sometime next week, and i hope that solves all of my problems.

Just for posterity if it doesn't, you said installed everything correctly, the film and such; I'm 100% the film is removed, i took the stock cooler off and checked twice already, reapplied the paste, and i'm 100% sure the stock cooler is put on correctly since all 4 black pins are sticking out the other side, can you think of anything else for me to take a look at to be sure?

Also on another conversation i had someone told me to check the bios/startup screen to see what's up there as well, can anyone tell me what to look for there?

Dec 31, 2021
Also another quick question, i found one there's a place on my case that i can put 2 8cm cooler fans, they would be mostly on the GPU and i would need to buy a splitter apparently since it seems i can only put 3 fans directly on the MOBO, my questions are, does a splitter take away from the power of the fans and 2, would such small coolers even help out at all in this case?