New i7-9700k Build - Purchasing Other Components

Oct 5, 2018
I plan on building a PC using the new Intel i7-9700k CPU when it comes out. Is there any reason not to purchase the other components (motherboard, ram, etc..) ahead of time?

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Aside from the fact that the new motherboards aren't out yet, no.

WildCard999

Titan
Well for the 9th gen Intel's you can use the Z370 motherboards however if there's a feature on the Z390 boards you want then you'll need to wait. Other stuff like the Case, PSU, RAM & Storage can be purchased now if desired but like bmockeg stated if there's a issue you'll probably have to go through the manufacturer instead of the retailer which could take a bit more time. Personally as long as those other parts aren't difficult to come by I'd buy everything at the same time.

I know you are anxious, but I would wait.
Over time pc parts tend to get better and cheaper.
Be prepared for a wait because of availability and early adopter shortages.

OTOH, consider pre ordering a i9-9900K from a source that can deliver and the price is near the suggested retail price.
Many will be jacking up the processor price.

Cases are a personal thing so pick carefully and buy what you want early, particularly if it is on sale or is hard to find.

You will almost certainly want a Z390 based motherboard. They will be expensive keep up with the announcements from your favored motherboard maker. I would not try to buy a motherboard earlier than necessary. New gen motherboards will have inevitable bios fixes which get sorted out after a bit of time.
If, like me, you favor M-ATX, then your choices may be limited or delayed.

On ram, wait until you have selected a motherboard. Then use the QVL list to pick a known good ram kit. Or, at least ram that is listed as supported for the motherboard on the ram vendor web site.
I hear that the high ram prices may be ready to go lower. Wait if you can.
Warranty if you buy early is no issue, ram will have a lifetime warranty.
Possibly, though, you will have questions about appropriate speeds.

Once you have decided on a case, you can pick a cooler that will fit.
Early on this would be ok, once you have your case.

I would not go liquid cooling if I could avoid it.

If you have a graphics card in mind, you can pick a psu.
Here is a chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
It will need to be updated for the RTX cards, but you can figure that out.
You could buy a psu early, they do not change much.
Seasonic seems to have good sales this time of year.
I like the Seasonic focus gold line.
Buy only a tier 1/2 unit:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

Oct 10, 2018

Prices are a bit skewed since it's a new generation and new chipset.

However, you can already buy the RAM, prices wont change and as of today (10th) you can already buy Z390 motherboards with Intel's 9th generation chipset for the I7 9700K.

There are a few good choices already such as the usual ASUS Maximus / Strix and the budget high-end motherboard for overclocking the Z390-A Prime, read this article for some more info on these motherboards:
https://innoreviews.com/whats-the-best-motherboard-for-i7-9700k/

If you however, do not intend to overclock you can choose a low/mid tier motherboard to save some money.